Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen,15,world's biggest collection of pencils

Still Waters

Many are happy to collect stamps, coins or key rings - but not this stationery-mad teenager.

Tushar Lakhanpal, 15, from New Delhi, India, claims to own more than 14,000 pencils in different shapes and sizes from 40 countries around the world.

http://www.dailymail...nting-more.html

• Like 1

I wonder if he ever does the rubber pencil trick? I usually can't help myself whenever I'm holding a pencil....

I've always thought those pencils made to look like a twig were pretty awesome myself though. Anyone else ever have one of those babies? :tu:

• Like 2

14,000 pencils in 11 years. So if he lives to 80 that's about 97,000 pencils.

What a useless thing to spend your life doing.

He was wise to choose pencils. I collected pens once upon a time and had about 100, some cheap but interesting and others expensive and shiny. I noticed after a while though that whenever I needed to use one of these pens urgently, none of the damn things would write!

• Like 4

His teachers got so frustrated about him forgetting to bring his pencils to class that they gave him 1000 dollars to spend on pencils :D

• Like 1

14,000 pencils in 11 years. So if he lives to 80 that's about 97,000 pencils.

What a useless thing to spend your life doing.

Maybe there's a point to it.

• Like 5

Maybe there's a point to it.

Oh God, you got me!

That groan was so hard I doubled over.

/you owe me one set up.

• Like 1

I don't really get why some people collect the things that they do, but hey, whatever makes ya happy.

I smiled which is never a bad thing. :)

• Like 2

I have a confession - I have a somewhat deep chestdrawer full of pencils :yes: Whenever there is one of those "office sales people" who come round selling their wares where I work, if there's pencil sets - I buy them, don't ask me why, I think it's the pretty colours. I do like to sketch to relax but really 90% of them are unused, sealed in their packaging.

*hangs her head in shame*

• Like 4

So... people who collect things have no friends and spend their lives doing nothing else. I can see that.

He was wise to choose pencils. I collected pens once upon a time and had about 100, some cheap but interesting and others expensive and shiny. I noticed after a while though that whenever I needed to use one of these pens urgently, none of the damn things would write!

My mother-in-law used to collect pens and you're spot on about not finding one that actually wrote!

With her it started with a few souvenir pens from places she'd been to, then she'd get some given to her which added to her collection. She had some out on show and the rest in tins which she kept in a cupboard.

She had a right assortment including some novelty ones some of which she kept out of view. I'll let your imagination figure out why lol. They were nothing too rude but for her generation she thought otherwise, besides young members of the family used to take the tins out to look at her pens, so it was probably just as well. She had some pencils too but mostly pens.

• Like 1

I have a confession - I have a somewhat deep chestdrawer full of pencils :yes: Whenever there is one of those "office sales people" who come round selling their wares where I work, if there's pencil sets - I buy them, don't ask me why, I think it's the pretty colours. I do like to sketch to relax but really 90% of them are unused, sealed in their packaging.

When I was a lot younger I went through a phase of buying pens, pencils and note books. I was forever writing things down and fussy too, if I made a mistake on a page I'd rip the page out of the book and start again! My mum used to tell me off for that for being wasteful.

Nowadays I have just two keepsake pens. One belonged to my late brother and the other to my late dad - that one is a fountain pen complete with a bottle of ink.

• Like 3

So... people who collect things have no friends and spend their lives doing nothing else. I can see that.

Oh, I dunno. There was an old time Hollywood star called Mickey Rooney who used to collect wives. :)

And his bff, Ms Taylor collected husbands!

Edited by Eldorado