Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thousands of bats die in Queensland heatwave

Still Waters

A Dayboro resident, Murray Paas, filmed the 'carnage' on his property after extreme temperatures killed thousands of flying foxes in colonies across south-east Queensland. Paas estimated more than 1000 had died in his backyard alone, many falling to the ground while others remained hanging from branches.

http://www.theguardi...ueensland-video

• Like 4

Extreme heat is hard on wildlife. Wish I could pipe in some of it because so is the extreme cold.

:cry: That is really sad, they are quite cute - although they are widely considered carriers of the lyssavirus

http://access.health.qld.gov.au/hid/InfectionsandParasites/ViralInfections/australianBatLyssavirus_fs.asp

The heatwave was thankfully shortlived for my Northern Neighbours - although now I believe they are beseiged by thunderstorms. Good luck Queenslanders, you could really use a break right now from the crazy weather.

• Like 2

Is Queensland known for it's heatwaves?

Look at it like this: Satan has been known to moan that on a bad day, Hell is as Hot as Queensland.

I do wonder if this means the cull is now off....

Were they going to cull teh bat population? We are in a bit of a crisis over here in the states because our bats are dying off from the "White nose syndrome", a poorly understood fungal disease that is spreading throughout the country and killing off our very useful little bats. http://batcon.org/index.php/what-we-do/white-nose-syndrome.html

• Like 1

a heat wave can kill hundreds at the same time ? how do they die? choking in the heat ? they weren't burnt right ? o_O

So sad. They are such helpful creatures with controlling the insect population where I live, and like Merc said, they are dying off in the US from white nose syndrome. God help us if we lose the bees and bats.

• Like 1

Bats are amazing creatures. Its sad that so many have met there end this way.

So sad. They are such helpful creatures with controlling the insect population where I live, and like Merc said, they are dying off in the US from white nose syndrome. God help us if we lose the bees and bats.

You are absolutely correct. They(bats) are natures bug busters. I can only imagine that so many dying from the heat will have a(n) severe change in the insect populous (for the worse).

While it's never good to see animals suffering, bats are generally considered a pest here in Queensland. They can devastate crops and are carriers of disease such lyssavirus and hendra virus.

• Like 1

a heat wave can kill hundreds at the same time ? how do they die? choking in the heat ? they weren't burnt right ? o_O

Goggle -heat stroke- to get smarter.

• Like 1