Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Triple-dog dare?

BiffSplitkins

In a scene straight out of “A Christmas Story,” a New Hampshire girl got her tongue stuck to a flagpole after licking it during a blizzard.

And it wasn’t even a triple-dog dare.

Maddie Gilmartin, 12, of East Kingston, said she was helping her dad clean up outside last week when an idea popped into her head to stick her tongue on a flagpole.

READ MORE

She should have tried the boiling water in the air trick instead.

:whistle:

• Like 4

I hate to admit it, I did this same thing when I was a kid. Of course, that was before 'A CHRISTMAS STORY' was a thing.

It was at recess when I think I was in 5th grade. It stuck instantly. After a moment of panic, I yanked it off, leaving a few taste buds....My tongue was bloody and sore for some time.

• Like 4

We do silly things. :) + :(

silly is walking around with a pancake on your head.

sticking your tongue to a flagpole in winter is stupidity.

• Like 1

I hate to admit it, I did this same thing when I was a kid. Of course, that was before 'A CHRISTMAS STORY' was a thing.

It was at recess when I think I was in 5th grade. It stuck instantly. After a moment of panic, I yanked it off, leaving a few taste buds....My tongue was bloody and sore for some time.

Okay, I admit it too. I did something similar when I was very young as well. My parents had one of those old refrigerator/freezers where the freezer was lined with metal and not plastic like the modern ones are. About a day after they had defrosted the freezer I noticed frost on the inside edge of the freezer and decided to give it a lick. Guess what? Yep, tongue stuck right to it. I did the same thing supervike did; ripped my tongue away very quickly and lost a few taste buds. I never did that again.

• Like 4

I´ve just added flagpole-licker into my minds cuss catalog. ("...these stu** flagpole-lickers ...!". Yes, it works pretty well.)

• Like 1

What I don't get is how this is even a story. I'm sure this happens to hundreds of people every year, why is this so special?

• Like 1

tomorrow on UM:

- bicycle falls over in china, sadlle minorly scratched!

- left sock missing after washing: ALIENS???

- Germans at beach allign towels to earths magnetic field!

• Like 4

I thought it was common knowledge to not do that...

There's no excuse, they play the Christmas Story for 24 hours every year!

• Like 1

Hahaha I love this story. It happens all the time.

wish it had been Miley Cyrus, just about every damn picture i see of her she has her tongue sticking out, what is it with that expression?

Miley-Cyrus-Tongue.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did this when I was 18 lol,,,true story

Edited by coolguy
  • Like 1

wish it had been Miley Cyrus, just about every damn picture i see of her she has her tongue sticking out, what is it with that expression?

Why doesn't she have a pink tongue? Every time I see that photo, it grosses me out.

I mean, really, if you are going to have your tongue sticking out all the time at least make sure it's not covered in cottage cheese.

• Like 3