Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
markprice

Radio Influenced Dreams

6 posts in this topic

What got me thinking about this was I got up early, turned on the radio then fell back asleep. Someone giving a talk appeared outside of a school I used to go to where he continued talking. What's weird is the way I was absorbing the meaning while sleeping. That has never happened to me before quite like that. Maybe in the past I would wake with some stupid song in my head but never the essence of a lecture.

Falling asleep to NPR is nothing new, but experiencing radio through a visual level of consciousness was new to me. Makes me wonder if there is a practical application where you could wake up too early, put on some audio then wake up later with a new understanding of a particular issue?

I know there are atmospheric things like whale sounds which might make you wake up with a new understanding of whales, but what about getting the meaning behind human speech while sleeping?

Anyway, made me wonder if this happens often.

4 people like this

I certainly would've liked to have an audiobook on Chemistry and Accounting and absorb those in back when I was studying...

I know that the radio and TV can influence dreams though and it is completely weird how the brain can come up with a scenario as you are listening to a program. For example, back when David Lee Roth had the short lived radio talk show, I fell asleep listening to it and had a dream that I was jogging by snow covered mountains with a group of people (I suppose they were the other people on the show although I had no idea who they were) including DLR but he looked as he did circa 1982.

Hmm Interesting. The idea makes since though. If you fall a sleep listening to a Radio Program then it should make since that were absorbing that information while we are a sleep as some people believe that are minds acts as Radios to some degree able to tune in new information....

Since are conscious mind is a sleep are Sub Conscious takes a hold and rumors persist that are Sub Conscious stores every single experience and memory. When we are a sleep are minds are like a Sponge and can absorb new information better than we are awake. If something is playing in the real world that is.

I had a David Lee Roth dream out of nowhere years ago. Apparently he had acquired the entire top floor of some sky-scraper and I was led up to meet with him although I had no idea why. So I went up to meet DLR who had some big plane to tell me about...then I woke up and forgot the plan.

That's the same as the radio talk: I remember the guy speaking to me in a dream fabricated location, and I remember the overall meaning of what he was really trying to say, but I cannot recall a single word of it.

Maybe the subconscious remembers all, and there are secret societies with methods to activate it along a path to acquire knowledge, but since it is probably the one thing all people have in common I would think there would be some mundane method for utilizing it besides just analyzing dreams after you wake up. The lucid dreaming thing is kind of like that, but do they use audio? I guess I could research that, but I doubt the method is to produce a dream setting where the audio comes to life.

1 person likes this

Several times, I had had external sounds enter dreams that I was having and it never ceases to amaze me how the brain incorporates these into the dream. One night, I had a dream that I was in a house and someone or something was running a rake across the side of the house or a giant hand was slowly scratching the house, as to what it was... my own snoring... another time, I had a dream a huge bird thing was pecking at my window at the old house I stayed at before, as to what that was... my hermit crabs were walking around and hitting the side of the glass aquarium with their shells. Another time, I was watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre late at night half asleep and on the part where the one guy goes looking for his friends at the house and is pounding on the door saying "Hello!", I swear I heard it as being at my front door but I also heard someone say, "Hello! Sheriff's Department! Anyone in there??" No one knocked the door down so it must've been in a dream.

Yeah, this is probably a common occurrence that I recently noticed. From a book I was reading just now: "I do believe this experience of floating and going through a wall is definitely not astral projection, but is a dream as neuroscientists insist, for when I tested it by goint through a wall of my apartment in Cambridge and looking down from floating four stories in the air above my street I noticed that I was transforming sounds into images that I heard and was, therefore, dreaming." -W. I. Thompson, Beyond Religion.