Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Wirelessly charged bus hits UK roads

8 posts in this topic

Electric buses which their developers say can run all day are set to begin service.

The buses can run for longer by virtue of a wireless booster charge they receive at the start and end of the route from plates in the road.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-25621426

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I can't believe they are hyping these buses as a 'green' technology, because inductive charging (the same way electric toothbrushes are charged) is so inefficient! I can't imagine it will save money or energy. All it will do is move the pollution from the cities and towns to the power station.

Edited by acute

I hope they don't run in pairs with Not in Service on the front like the non-electric ones!

1 person likes this

wireless charging? sounds promising to me.

I can't believe they are hyping these buses as a 'green' technology, because inductive charging (the same way electric toothbrushes are charged) is so inefficient! I can't imagine it will save money or energy. All it will do is move the pollution from the cities and towns to the power station.

well what else are run on them?

I don't understand the question — give it me again. I'm having a 'thick' day.

I don't understand the question — give it me again. I'm having a 'thick' day.

what other fuel would you use?

what other fuel would you use?

Obviously, electric is preferable to a combustion engine, but it is the method of charging I have an issue with. Inductive coupling is jolly inefficient (to put it politely!) making it wasteful and expensive, and therefore not a serious alternative to a wired connection.

Where I live, the newer buses are hybrid powered. The batteries are charged by the engine. The engine cuts out when the bus stops, then the electric motor gets the bus moving again. It's a step in the right direction, but it still uses fossil fuel.

What we really need is to bring back trams!