Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

War Elephant Myths Debunked by DNA

4 posts in this topic

Through DNA analysis, Illinois researchers have disproved years of rumors and hearsay surrounding the ancient Battle of Raphia, the only known battle between Asian and African elephants.

http://www.scienceda...40109180312.htm

1 person likes this

i liked the article, and i always am interested to see the methods of science being applied to history

but i had to laugh at this line:

"Being generals, they spent the next three several centuries fighting over the land in-between"

i... those are some long lived generals.

2 people like this

i liked the article, and i always am interested to see the methods of science being applied to history

Likewise.

but i had to laugh at this line:

"Being generals, they spent the next three several centuries fighting over the land in-between"

i... those are some long lived generals.

LOL!

Seriously, though, some of Alexander's generals lived long and active lives: one successor general/king, Antigonus One-Eye, died in battle at the age of 81, fighting in the front rank of his army's phalanx. Twenty years later, the two generals who beat him, Seleucus and Lysimachus, led their armies in battle against each other. Seleucus was 77 and Lysimachus was 79. Lysimachus died and Seleucus's army won the battle, but Seleucus was himself assassinated a month or so after the battle.

1 person likes this

huh! i did not actually know those dudes made it that long. in that time, eighty years was pretty impressive.

this is an area of history I'd really like to learn more about. i am pretty good when it comes to ancient greece, and very well read when it comes to the roman empire, but the period in between is kind of blank in my mind.