Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Potentially hazardous' asteroid discovered

UM-Bot

NASA has located a half-mile wide asteroid that could pass within 300,000 miles of the Earth.

The object is the first to be discovered by NASA\'s WISE ( Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer ) spacecraft since it was reactivated last year for a new three-year mission to detect signs of dangerous asteroids.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/260643/potentially-hazardous-asteroid-discovered

I don't think 300,000 miles is a "near miss," but it's good that someone has their eye on it, in case it decides to get closer.

• Like 2

Don´t panic!

2013 YP139 has passed earth orbit on 26DEC2013 already and will not pose a threat within the next 100 years NASA said. :yes:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa....log=0;cad=1#orb

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Interesting enough God made this planet in such fashion that no asteroids can made it through. It will be us killing ourselves

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suspect with talented young people on the rise built off of technology that they inherit, humanity is gaining a foothold on the cosmos and even evolution. As long as we don't kill ourselves before we truly rise to our potential, I hope I will be able to perceive the future. Some may think this is not a big deal. But it is. This is a significant step in the evolution of mankind and our ability to reach further into our future and tilt the circumstances in our favor. Points for the astrophysicists et all involved in projects like this. They are truly working to save the world and not just talking about it.... even if they are dead when the fruits of labor are realized. Heros in my book.

• Like 1

What is needed is for the searchers to find and confirm a large asteroid on a clear trajectory to smash us in about fifty years. That would stimulate all kinds of activity and international cooperation in space.

Interesting enough God made this planet in such fashion that no asteroids can made it through. It will be us killing ourselves

Is there some Scripture that says this or do you know some scientific principle unknown to science?

I don't think 300,000 miles is a "near miss," but it's good that someone has their eye on it, in case it decides to get closer.

Try calculating the area of the space occupied by the earth's orbit sometimes (the diameter is I think without looking it up something like 96 million miles) and compare that with the size of the Earth (diameter 8 thousand miles). You will see that 300,000 miles is quite close as these things go, as the Earth is really, really a small target.

What is needed is for the searchers to find and confirm a large asteroid on a clear trajectory to smash us in about fifty years. That would stimulate all kinds of activity and international cooperation in space.

"All kinds of activity" is an understatement. The good the bad, the horrible, and the amazing will all reveal themselves in such circumstances. I would hope the strength of humanity would prevail. Most of us would succumb to our animal egos......Except for japan. There is something to be said about a society built on honor, their behavior during the tsunamis was exemplary for the rest of the world . I have tried to talk my wife into moving there., I have also tried to talk her into living in a wigwam. No go. maybe the next life.

"All kinds of activity" is an understatement. The good the bad, the horrible, and the amazing will all reveal themselves in such circumstances. I would hope the strength of humanity would prevail. Most of us would succumb to our animal egos.

I have no doubt the authorities would get straight to work on it and deal with it and save the world; there are a number of technologies that would do the trick of altering the orbit enough to save us. The thing is the development of space technology for this function would lead to world cooperation and a lot of money being spent.

Tell that to the Dinosaurs.

• Like 1

What worries me the most is a comet as they're so unpredictable, and like an asteroid very similar to a snowball mixed with sand and pebbles. The ices however are so cold they're as hard as steel and granite. The stuff that nuclear bunkers underground are made of. Comets can hit the Earth, or more likely an asteroid showering space with debris, fragments of which could come our way. Also with the 'new' ones from the Oort cloud come a lot of toxic gases, and hitting the nucleus of one of them to deflect it, could in fact cause the thing to explode. If so causing a shotgun/shrapnel shell effect. They also always seem to talk about dealing with "ONE" asteroid. Some are binaries. That means two targets, possibly more. You have to remember a nuclear warhead's power is vastly reduced in the vacuum of space as there is no air to transport the shockwave. There is no blast wave or mushroom cloud as of the type seen over Hiroshima or Operation Ivy Bells. (15 megatons i think.) Russians detonated a 50 megaton one but i can't remember the name of that. Lastly Uranium and Plutonium are extremely heavy and dense elements and that means "big" rockets and "big" third stage/guidance propulsion systems to control the mass. Try throwing and catching a lead acid car battery you'll understand the problems involved. Remember at the velocities we are dealing with a huge distance is traveled per second. I think the world has enough warheads to do the job(unfortunately), but not a single ballistic missile has the range required.

We should practice. Find an asteroid on a collision course with another planet and start deflecting them so we can work out the details.

Edited by White Crane Feather