Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted places in your town

Magic Stars

What places are supposedly haunted in your town and what's the history behind it all? Share here.

I live in an old market town (I'm from the UK) and most of our buildings are super old. We have a black and white house that has been around for hundreds of years and is supposedly haunted by the old family that lived there. It's quite a neat place to go and look and we get many tourists who take a tour around it.

Where we have New look, the upstairs is still the old part of the building and it's supposedly haunted by a boy who was killed. He worked as an apprentice for a man who used to make medicines and he incorrectly gave him a sample which killed him. His spirit supposedly haunts the building and the workers of Newlook have said they have seen him around the upstairs corridors. Creepy.

We have the Cathedral which is supposedly haunted in the crypt downstairs. I would never stay down there at night for a dare.

And there's more. We have a haunted ghost tour which I went on myself and found all this out. Was quite fascinating actually. It is surprising what you can still learn about a town you have lived in all your life.

• Like 1

Your story is pretty cool. At least it has an actual, personal story. UK has a lot more haunted stories than America, it seems. Or at least more substantial stories. There's only one in my very rural area of North Eastern Pennsylvania. It seems to be a very classic bit of urban legendry, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was completely false.

The story is different depending on who you ask, but it is pretty well-known among people of the generation of my parents. The story is about kids who came roughly twenty years before my parents' generation (so the incident would have occurred in the 50s or 60s). The constant in the story is that a group of about 6 kids went camping. It had been unseasonably wet that year, and two of them decided to swim (some say skinny dip) in the creek. The current was more powerful than they anticipated and it pulled them under and down-stream. The others jumped in to try to rescue the others, but also ended up drowning. The variables to the story are that it may have been after prom night, or it may have been after graduation. A few people said they weren't even camping, they were driving around. This seems unlikely because it is nowhere near roads, or even old dirt roads. It is pretty flat, but they'd have to off-road and basically purposely drive into the creek. The whole story seems too detailed for me. If nobody survived they wouldn't know that two tried to jump in first. This could have been inferred if they were, in fact, skinny dipping, so two were naked and the others were fully clothed, indicating that they went in there to try to rescue them.

Apparently, if you camp out there at night (the people who say it was prom say early spring, the ones who say graduation say late spring, early summer, and some other people whom I don't believe at all say halloween) you will hear screams of help coming from the creek. This is all based on anecdotal evidence. Too many people say it's true because they "know someone who did it." Also, with as unreliable as eye-witness testimony and memory are, I don't even believe the few who claim to have seen it. I've never been able to get a group together to go check it out on my own, but I've always wanted to. I've even accrued some equipment to check it out (cameras, IR lights, that kind of thing) so I can have a solid recording of when I go. I'd like to go on several different nights throughout spring and summer, and then also on Halloween just to test all angles, and then also a few nights in fall when there's supposedly no activity for a base measurement. It'll probably never happen, but it's only about 3 minutes from my house so I'd really like to try.

We have a lot of them.

1. Resurrection Cemetery and a stretch of neighboring Archer Avenue are supposedly haunted by the ghost of a woman who was killed in a road accident nearby. She is said to appear to motorists as a hitchhiker and asks to be taken home. The car invariably ends up near the cemetery where the woman asks to be let out. She then vanishes, leaving only a damp spot on the seat. Apparently not only is she dead but also has a bit of a bladder control problem.

2. Bachelor's Grove Cemetery is an early 19th century rural burial site that has since become part of the local forest preserve district. Many stories have been told about it over the years. The most popular ones maintain the site was used by the Chicago mobs to dump bodies. No evidence has ever surfaced to support that. however. The highway that runs past the site has its share of ghost car sightings. Lights are said to rise up from the ground in the cemetery and nearby land and race and dart around in the air. A farmhouse is said to appear and float a few feet above the ground. It disappears when approached. Ghosts are said to wander the cemetery and sometimes rest on the fallen headstones. I've been there many times during the day and at night and have never seen any of those things.

3. Saint James Of The Sag Church is an early 19th century church that dates back to the 1830's and was built to service the many Irish immigrants employed to dig the Illinois and Michigan canal. Locally it is sometimes called Monk's Castle. No monastic order ever resided there but there are many stories of hooded figures wandering the cemetery and nearby woods at night.

4. The Illinois and Michigan Canal trail is a former tow path along the canal right of way. Because of the remoteness of the worksites, when laborers succumbed to the heat and malaria they were often buried in the mounds of excavated earth from the canal channel instead of a consecrated grave site. Because of their unceremonious interments, ghostly figures are sometimes seen walking along the right-of-way late at night.

5. The site where the bodies of two missing Chicago girls were found in the mid 1950's is said to ring with the sounds of their dying cries to this day. The site, on German Church road near Willow Springs is a frequent stop for local ghost hunters and tour operators.

There are many more. These are some of the most popular ones.

Edited by sinewave

What places are supposedly haunted in your town and what's the history behind it all? Share here.

I live in an old market town (I'm from the UK) and most of our buildings are super old. We have a black and white house that has been around for hundreds of years and is supposedly haunted by the old family that lived there. It's quite a neat place to go and look and we get many tourists who take a tour around it.

Where we have New look, the upstairs is still the old part of the building and it's supposedly haunted by a boy who was killed. He worked as an apprentice for a man who used to make medicines and he incorrectly gave him a sample which killed him. His spirit supposedly haunts the building and the workers of Newlook have said they have seen him around the upstairs corridors. Creepy.

We have the Cathedral which is supposedly haunted in the crypt downstairs. I would never stay down there at night for a dare.

And there's more. We have a haunted ghost tour which I went on myself and found all this out. Was quite fascinating actually. It is surprising what you can still learn about a town you have lived in all your life.

You're not talking about Lichfield by any chance, are you?

I also live in a very old city; it was first settled in the early 1700's.

The most famous haunted spot is Fort Ontario. The Fort has been in it's location since the mid 1700's, being rebuilt a few times. It was a landmark in the war of 1812, a hospital during the civil war, and the only place to house Jewish refugees in the U.S. during the Holocaust.

http://nysparks.com/...20/details.aspx

I'm a member of their historical society, and have had some very strange experiences there. Nothing malicious, but lots of activity. They host several functions throughout the season, along with reinactments. Very senic, being right on the lake.

Edited by Awake2Chaos

General area? None. But there's Glenn Dale Hospital in Bowie which was an old TB hospital. They say it's haunted by a pack of ghost dogs, ghosts, and the building where they used to burn bodies usually has smoke coming out of it.

Then there's General Bridge Road. Where the Goatman, a 1950s girl, Satanists, abandoned buildings [don't know the story behind them], and a living hand is said to roam there. But they also say that it's a "Crybaby Bridge." There's different versions of the "Crybaby Bridge" story. One is where a toddler was thrown out of the window by accident and another by a cruel parent(s).

That is all I can think of right now.

Your story is pretty cool. At least it has an actual, personal story. UK has a lot more haunted stories than America, it seems. Or at least more substantial stories. There's only one in my very rural area of North Eastern Pennsylvania. It seems to be a very classic bit of urban legendry, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was completely false.

The story is different depending on who you ask, but it is pretty well-known among people of the generation of my parents. The story is about kids who came roughly twenty years before my parents' generation (so the incident would have occurred in the 50s or 60s). The constant in the story is that a group of about 6 kids went camping. It had been unseasonably wet that year, and two of them decided to swim (some say skinny dip) in the creek. The current was more powerful than they anticipated and it pulled them under and down-stream. The others jumped in to try to rescue the others, but also ended up drowning. The variables to the story are that it may have been after prom night, or it may have been after graduation. A few people said they weren't even camping, they were driving around. This seems unlikely because it is nowhere near roads, or even old dirt roads. It is pretty flat, but they'd have to off-road and basically purposely drive into the creek. The whole story seems too detailed for me. If nobody survived they wouldn't know that two tried to jump in first. This could have been inferred if they were, in fact, skinny dipping, so two were naked and the others were fully clothed, indicating that they went in there to try to rescue them.

Apparently, if you camp out there at night (the people who say it was prom say early spring, the ones who say graduation say late spring, early summer, and some other people whom I don't believe at all say halloween) you will hear screams of help coming from the creek. This is all based on anecdotal evidence. Too many people say it's true because they "know someone who did it." Also, with as unreliable as eye-witness testimony and memory are, I don't even believe the few who claim to have seen it. I've never been able to get a group together to go check it out on my own, but I've always wanted to. I've even accrued some equipment to check it out (cameras, IR lights, that kind of thing) so I can have a solid recording of when I go. I'd like to go on several different nights throughout spring and summer, and then also on Halloween just to test all angles, and then also a few nights in fall when there's supposedly no activity for a base measurement. It'll probably never happen, but it's only about 3 minutes from my house so I'd really like to try.

I think your story creeped me out simply because I just had a vivid image of camp crystal lake. Eff knows why.

And no way would I have the guts to check that out. I'm chicken.

You're not talking about Lichfield by any chance, are you?

No, where about is that town?

Quite a few places that are haunted in my town, There must be as the great Dereck Acorah himself filmed an episode of ghost towns here, There's an old school which is now a heritage centre which definitely has a weird vibe to it, The railway line where I met a ghost myself and loads of other places that I can't think of right now.

Oh,My mum used to work in a shoe shop which was haunted by a ghost they they called matilda. They would open the shop in the morning and some of the laces would be untied, I used to have to go there after school if there was nobody to look after me and wait in the stock room, The place always had a really spooky feeling, Sometimes I had to go and make mum and her workmates a cup of tea in the kitchen upstairs and always had a really panicky feeling, Like there was somebody right behind me when I was coming back downstairs.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

I also live in a very old city; it was first settled in the early 1700's.

No offense to the Americans here (or Canadians, Australians, etc.) but I sometimes think it's funny to hear about someone living in a "very old" city that's 200 or 300 years old.
  • Like 2

Why though? Something doesn't have to be old for it to be haunted. Like a house doesn't just have to be haunted only if it is old. Someone could die in a relatively new house, building, etc and their spirit could haunt the place. Age of buildings have nothing to do with it or anything for that matter. And you can always ask what was there before in order for it to be haunted if the building, city, place in question is not old like 200 years. My town is much older than that, much.

Ooops. read your comment wrong. Thought you said weird to hear of people saying ghosts haunting in relatively new places. :)

Please excuse the massive block of text but it is very interesting and is just one of many haunted places in Lancaster, uk

Lancaster Castle

Lancaster Castle is an imposing building it occupies a city centre hilltop location on the site of three successive Roman forts. It consists of an extensive group of historic structures, including the 12th century Keep, the 14th century Witches' Tower, the 15th century Gatehouse, and the Female Penitentiary, which dates from the early years of the 19th century. It is a Grade I Listed Building, with the area to the north of it designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Lancaster Castle has recently opened up its door to paranormal groups and ghost hunters, to find evidence of it's resident ghosts.

One of the most famous and dramatic events to take place in Lancashire occurred at Lancaster Castle almost 400 years ago, the Pendle Witch trials. The ten accused witches all lived in the' surrounding Pendle Hill area and were charged with the murders of ten people using witchcraft.

Pendle Hill, is almost a mountain, it is a hypnotic and very atmospheric place. In the year 1612 there stood a huge limestone tower known as Malkin tower where a family of local peasants lived. But not just an ordinary family, these so called peasants were in league with the devil, they made clay effigies and used human hair and teeth to make these effigies.

Several local villagers died of mysterious illnesses, some in great pain. The milk was said to have turned blue, cattle died without a mark on their bodies and the locals feared venturing on to the hill. The local magistrate Roger Nowell in great fear for his life arranged the arrest of two of the suspected witches. Both were sent to Lancaster Castle to be tried, two days later all the other witches met at the tower but within weeks all were taken to Lancaster Castle for trial and certain death by hanging, several of the woman died in the castle's prison before they could be sent to the gallows .

The remaining Pendle Witches were hung on Lancaster Moor, the supposed tomb of Alice Nutter can still be seen in St Mary's Churchyard. Many persons over the past centuries have sadly lost their lives on the hill and many locals still steadfastly refuse to go on the hill after dark due to the numerous sightings of ghosts and spirits that have been seen, felt and heard.

The witches ghosts reputedly haunt the village of Newchurch, which lies in the dark, shadow of Pendle Hill and is where one of the witches is said to be buried.

The whole area around Pendle Hill has become popular with ghost hunters after Living channel's top show Most Haunted visited the hill for a live investigation on Halloween 2004. The show's presenter, Yvette Fielding, said it was the scariest episode they had made to date, and the episode is still widely considered as the best episode of the entire series.

A local Film crew got a little more than they bargained for when making a documentary about the Pendle witches. As part of Pendle's Paranormal Road Map, presented by Clitheroe-based TV historian Simon Entwistle, the crew bravely ventured up to a barn on Pendle Hill to conduct a seance in the hope of contacting the spirits of the witches. According to Simon, the team got a fright when three of them 'became possessed', causing them to turn 'distressed and violently ill'.

At Lancaster Castle the ghost of a middle-aged woman with a young girl was seen moving around near the cells by a former inmate. On another occasion a different prisoner reported the young girl, but this time with a haggard old woman. The young girls has also been heard and sometimes seen running along the corridors of the castle.

The ghost of a monk has been seen, legend says that he was hanged at the prison. The monk is usually spotted on the ground floor of the Castle. The apparition of the monk is usually only seen after dark, its presence followed by an icy chill.

There have been numerous reports by people who attend the day-time tours of the castle who claim they are often pushed and shoved by unseen forces. This is such a common event that the guides who run the tours have now come to expect it and fortunately nobody has ever been hurt

Relatively small old steel mill town outside Pittsburgh. One older home in town supposedly has odd noises in the middle of the night and one out the road had rumors of being haunted all the time in the 60s to the early 80s. All types of odd things going on, ghosts, apparations , noises and a large list of people buying the place, moving in and a couple months later moving out.

I grew up in a tiny speck of a town where, if you believe the stories, half of the houses are haunted. Probably most notably is the school. Decades ago the town's school burned down, and one person apparently died in the fire. The new school was built on the grounds of the old one. I remember when I was a student there there were a lot of stories of people seeing a gray figure in the hallways, or through the windows of closed off rooms.

As for my own home town, I've never heard of any ghost stories or hauntings that weren't clearly made up stuff by people I went to school with or by adults trying to scare us when we were children.

And there's plenty of places (like in any decent sized town and surrounding area) that could be the source for stories of hauntings, the kind of which are posted on these forums regularly.

There's an old prison where executions were carried out until the 1920s. It's currently the site of the local historical archives. I was in there last year doing some research. It's interesting to wander in and out of old jail cells that held prisoners and is now shelves of old census archives, historical maps, photo archives, etc.

My sister lives a short walk from a pauper's graveyard that was also used as a burial ground of the 1840s Irish famine. There's a walkway between the graveyard and the local workhouse where a lot of people died during the famine and would have been taken and buried in unmarked graves (or in burial pits at the height of the famine). It's the kind of site that people associate (in stories I read on this website for example) with tragedy and death and therefore hauntings, but I find visiting it like my experience with visiting war cemeteries in France. A place that saddens you to visit but which is simultaneously very quite and peaceful. People don't get any more peaceful than being dead.

There's plenty of pretty old graveyards. I'm a 10 minute walk from an old ruined church abandoned in the 1620s and accompanying graveyard. It dates from the 7th century when there was a monastery and accompanying graveyard on the site. Some local families still have family burial plots booked and as recently as last year, a local man was buried on the site.

In my county (and in counties all over the country) there's a bunch of abandoned manors falling into worse ruin year by year sitting in the middle of fields and farmlands that would have belonged to families of the Anglo-Irish landed gentry. I've explored a bunch of them in the past few years. Fascinating places and they include one which I heard a documentary about on local radio where (if memory serves me) a soldier who returned from the Boer War around the turn of the 19th century found his beloved having an affair with one of the servants and shot them both dead in the house.

But I'm not aware of any local known or told ghost stories involving those or any other sites in my area.

Edited by JesseCuster

Castle Fraser.

Castle Fraser. (S. Bruce).

A woman is said to have been murdered in the green room. A ghost of a woman with no face has been seen in the library, others have reported hearing voices in the castle.

8f80393560.jpg

Crathes Castle.

The tower of this 16th century castle is said to have a ghost who appears as a green lady who moves across the room sometimes alone and sometimes she picks up a small ghostly child, said to be in the fireplace before vanishing. There has been so many sightings of her that the room is now referred to as 'The Green lady's Room'. Two skeletons one of a woman and one of a child were uncovered in the castle walls during restoration work. It is thought that the woman had found herself pregnant out of wedlock and was murdered to avoid embarrassment to the family. Although the two skeletons were buried the ghosts still haunt the castle.

ebfe90d385.jpg

Dunnottar Castle, Stonehaven.

A soldier in uniform has been sighted looking out to sea as if on look-out duty, watching for an invasion.

Others have reported crying and screams of agony coming from the ruins of the castle at night.

c8f8f11cd1.jpg

Inchdrewer Castle.

1713 is the date of the tragic death of Sir George Ogilvie (Born 1649) 3rd Lord Banff. He is thought to have been murdered on his return from Ireland by his thieving domestics, who are thought to have stolen from him while he was away. They then site fire to his home ‘Inchdrewer Castle’ to try to conceal their crime. Was this justice for the Lord selling Scotland to the English in 1707? His ghost is said to have returned, but no one is sure how it manifests.

The castle is also reported to be haunted by a large white dog.

42ae0300b8.jpg

• Like 1

I live in the boonies now. A couple towns over, purportedly the backwoods of a local cemetery is the home to a large hairy creature with glowing eyes. Down the road a ways another way is a ghost on a beach, and a haunted restaurant. Countryside is dotted mostly with haunted cemeteries and a couple businesses and churches. Most of it is the usual- ghosts of tragedy and murder, screams and mists, couple freaky gravestones. Up north a bit there was supposed to be a werewolf spotted couple decades back.

Whittington Castle, About 2 miles away from my town http://www.whittingt...mal/index.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/shropshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8330000/8330476.stm

And there's my workplace, But they'll never make the fact that that's haunted (or supposedly haunted) public.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

An otherwise unremarkable house in a suburban street. When I was a kid, it was regularly featured in the papers for its poltergeist activity. They also said a force was present that could physically prevent you from walking down the stairs! It was almost constantly up for sale, as no family could live there for very long.

I live in the boonies now. A couple towns over, purportedly the backwoods of a local cemetery is the home to a large hairy creature with glowing eyes. Down the road a ways another way is a ghost on a beach, and a haunted restaurant. Countryside is dotted mostly with haunted cemeteries and a couple businesses and churches. Most of it is the usual- ghosts of tragedy and murder, screams and mists, couple freaky gravestones. Up north a bit there was supposed to be a werewolf spotted couple decades back.

a yoiwe?

3:54....my place.

No offense to the Americans here (or Canadians, Australians, etc.) but I sometimes think it's funny to hear about someone living in a "very old" city that's 200 or 300 years old.

Yeah, I know, compared to Europe and other countries, it's young, but for this country, it's not.

• Like 1

a yoiwe?

I dunno if it was supposed to be a yowie or not. "Latest" reports on it are at least a few years old, before I lived here. I think this area is more geared to werewolves though. More animal like, less man. Humanoid is mostly ghosts in cemeteries around here.