Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An Increase in Fireball Activity?

seeder

Ha I was reading of an 'apparent' increase in Fire-Ball activity worlwide, and compiled a little list

Large Fireballs Coming in World Wide? Has there been a noticeable increase? heck I dont know but there a number of stories and vids about it lately

Begin here

http://beforeitsnews...rs-2473746.html

and

Fireball' seen streaking across sky over Northampton; reports from all over Northeastern U.S.

http://www.sott.net/...Northeastern-US

This vid seems to plot their appearances...if accurate that is

"It's Started Fireballs Over Japan"

[media=]

Then this page has more news and this list, (again if accurate)

2013 saw a dramatic increase in meteor fireballs - What does 2014 have in store?

http://www.sott.net/...4-have-in-store

English_Version_2014_6.png

Edited by seeder

Seeder, I am separating your post off into a topic of it's own. It would have been more appropriate to have started a new topic yourself rather than necroposting in a topic which has been dead for 3 months.

• Like 1

Seeder, I am separating your post off into a topic of it's own. It would have been more appropriate to have started a new topic yourself rather than necroposting in a topic which has been dead for 3 months.

Ok cheers,yeh probably best!!

I've been watching for them every chance I get but haven't seen any so far.

Edited by AZDZ
  • Like 1

I think we have more and better cameras.

well I will keep an eye in the news sources of course and update as and when, and I hope other readers may do so too?

Tip: Look up a lot, charge your camera or phones up... and buy a helmet!!

edit

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Wondering where are these meteors coming from, do they ever land, fall on earth, are they traceable?

Edited by qxcontinuum

The national UFO reporting center has tons of reports of people seeing fire balls.i don't think they are ufos maybe something else

Wondering where are these meteors coming from, do they ever land, fall on earth, are they traceable?

The national UFO reporting center has tons of reports of people seeing fire balls.i don't think they are ufos maybe something else

This may answer some questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3h-If7HgtdA

They come from outer space (do you imagine somewhere else?), they do sometimes fall to the earth although usually they either go past us or are destroyed by the heat of the atmosphere. Yes they are traceable if enough observations have been made, but it isn't generally worth the trouble.
  • Like 1

reply to taniwha at post # 9

ISON debris would explain them going back a few days or perhaps up to a week, as that is how long the Earth has been plowing through the area once inhabited by ISON on its inbound flight but this fireball phenomenon has been going on for, what?, at least a month or two, correct?

Of the ISON debris, not much to report NASA was correct! :yes: it was not a big deal, visually, at least. I watched the dawn sky every morning for the last few days and spotted zilch in the way of any increased meteor activity.

The most I could say is that I saw some small dim flashes, possibly resulting from the earth colliding with ISON dust. Or, they could have dim stars suddenly brightening as a bubble of stable air passed in front.

Edited by AZDZ

In the 2nd video there is an Unidentified Flying Object at the 31 second or so mark. You can see something coming in from the left under the meteor. I guess this could be the glare of the meteor reflecting off of something and then being caught on camera. Just thought I would point that out.

I've read about this phenom in other places, the farthest back I remember was July of 2010. The following video is of a shower of them in China. The observatory didn't record the event but said it was NOT a meteor shower; they are not sure what it was.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqeFbFV6Ek[/media]

Edited by Awake2Chaos

In the 2nd video there is an Unidentified Flying Object at the 31 second or so mark. You can see something coming in from the left under the meteor. I guess this could be the glare of the meteor reflecting off of something and then being caught on camera. Just thought I would point that out.

Well spotted. I agree. Even though the footage has been slowed the 'UFO' travels the exact speed as the fireball and disappears at the same time. If you look closely clouds are visible. When the fireball lights up these clouds effectively become a canvas for reflection.

reply to taniwha at post # 9

ISON debris would explain them going back a few days or perhaps up to a week, as that is how long the Earth has been plowing through the area once inhabited by ISON on its inbound flight but this fireball phenomenon has been going on for, what?, at least a month or two, correct?

Of the ISON debris, not much to report NASA was correct! :yes: it was not a big deal, visually, at least. I watched the dawn sky every morning for the last few days and spotted zilch in the way of any increased meteor activity.

The most I could say is that I saw some small dim flashes, possibly resulting from the earth colliding with ISON dust. Or, they could have dim stars suddenly brightening as a bubble of stable air passed in front.

In the news few days ago

A Possible Meteor Shower from Comet ISON?

Hey, remember Comet C/2012 S1 ISON? Who can forget the roller-coaster ride that the touted “Comet of the Century” took us on last year. Well, ISON could have one more trick up its cosmic sleeve –although it’s a big maybe — in the form of a meteor shower or (more likely) a brief uptick in meteor activity this week.

http://www.universetoday.com/108084/a-possible-meteor-shower-from-comet-ison/#ixzz2qerhCXNp

In the news few days ago

A Possible Meteor Shower from Comet ISON?

Hey, remember Comet C/2012 S1 ISON? Who can forget the roller-coaster ride that the touted “Comet of the Century” took us on last year. Well, ISON could have one more trick up its cosmic sleeve –although it’s a big maybe — in the form of a meteor shower or (more likely) a brief uptick in meteor activity this week.

http://www.universet.../#ixzz2qerhCXNp

Yes, that is what I was talking about. I've been watching for the last 5 days and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by AZDZ

Yes, that is what I was talking about. I've been watching for the last 5 days and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Whats your location?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw one of these so called fireballs. They are appropriately named.

On 1/31/14 at 10;55 pm I noticed it starting just a little bit south of the bowl of the Big Dipper heading East. It was definately round with a whitish yellow color and had no largely discernable tail, nor afterglow on my retina like a meteor may. It traveled slowly as compared to a typical meteor. It was visible for about 2 seconds before 'flaming out' and disappearing completely.

Of it's size I am having difficult time being precise, it was way larger than a typical meteor streak. Pinning myself down for some sort of an estimate... Hold a dime at arms length against the sky, divide it into 4 quarters, it was about one quarter rounded down.

As to what it was there is no question in my mind it was de-orbiting space-junk.

• Like 1