Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama: 'Give Peace a Chance'

joc

President Barack Obama talked briefly about the Iran nuclear deal and said "give peace a chance." Via the pool report:

Pres. Obama said the implementation agreement finalized over the weekend gives the parties "the time and space" to reach a comprehensive accord.

"It's going to be difficult, it's going to be challenging, but ultimately this is how diplomacy should work."

"If Iran is willing to walk through the door of opportunity that's presented to them" then the country and its people will benefit.

"If they fail to walk through this door of opportunity, then we are in position to reverse the interim agreement and put in place additional pressure to make sure that Iran does not develop a nuclear weapon."

"My preference is for peace and diplomacy, and this is one of the reasons why I've sent the message to Congress that now is not the time for us to impose new sanctions, now is the time for us to allow the diplomats and technical experts to do their work."

"What we want to do is give diplomacy a chance, and give peace a chance."

LINK

No Traitor! What we want to do is keep them from getting the bomb...you just gave it to them! Traitor!

• Like 1

We certainly know that war and violence is non-productive.

• Like 5

President Barack Obama talked briefly about the Iran nuclear deal and said "give peace a chance." Via the pool report:

Pres. Obama said the implementation agreement finalized over the weekend gives the parties "the time and space" to reach a comprehensive accord.

"It's going to be difficult, it's going to be challenging, but ultimately this is how diplomacy should work."

"If Iran is willing to walk through the door of opportunity that's presented to them" then the country and its people will benefit.

"If they fail to walk through this door of opportunity, then we are in position to reverse the interim agreement and put in place additional pressure to make sure that Iran does not develop a nuclear weapon."

"My preference is for peace and diplomacy, and this is one of the reasons why I've sent the message to Congress that now is not the time for us to impose new sanctions, now is the time for us to allow the diplomats and technical experts to do their work."

"What we want to do is give diplomacy a chance, and give peace a chance."

LINK

No Traitor! What we want to do is keep them from getting the bomb...you just gave it to them! Traitor!

If you think he's a traitor, than what do you think we should do about Iran?

• Like 1

I guess instead of pursuing peaceful means to a resolution he should just start a war like our last president did.

• Like 3

resolution of what???

iran will still enrich uranium like they want to usa is not able to do anything about it.

and form iran pov why should not they?? israel has one, and openly calls for war with iran, and their calls are lot more serious that blah blah of iranian former idiot president.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

I don't want Iran to have a bomb either.

But we cant really stop them, short of going to war. And if we went to war it would only backfire on us and give the radicals more propaganda power, unless we stayed in the country for decades... And no one wants to do that.

Sanctions I feel only really hurts the general population, the rich dictators in charge are not going to be hurt by economic sanctions its the general population who really suffers. Also feeding to anti American sentiment I assume.

I feel the best thing to do would be just to do a small emptivie strike on the facilities if the situation gets dire. But Isreal will probably go ahead and do that at some point anyways.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I guess instead of pursuing peaceful means to a resolution he should just start a war like our last president did.

Peaceful means... just like he proposed for Syria with his "limited strike"... and the countless drone attacks which have killed innocent civilians.

• Like 2

Talking to each other can't hurt a thing. Instead of the past idiotic " we don't negotiate with "terrorists" stance.

• Like 1

Given the current situation of the US as a result of wars. I don't think another war or more/continued military intervention in another country would do many favours for the US. I'd say more harm than good.

• Like 4

If the last President had finished the war we wouldn't even be talking about a nuclear Iran...We'd be talking about a demilitarized Iraq and Afghanistan.

But that's okay...Iran with a nuclear arsenal IS world war three..come back and tell me how you like the new world Hilander, once that one starts.

Talking to each other can't hurt a thing. Instead of the past idiotic " we don't negotiate with "terrorists" stance.

Interesting...I believe Neville Chamberlain said the same exact thing about Hitler.

Given the current situation of the US as a result of wars. I don't think another war or more/continued military intervention in another country would do many favours for the US. I'd say more harm than good.

Yes, like the entire world loves us now right?

well pak has a bomb, supports terrorists, hid OBL, yet we have no problem with them having a bomb

Pakistan isn't really threatening to destroy Israel..now are they?
  • Like 1

Iran will have their bomb at the point they decide to assemble it. The only way to even delay that is to attack their facilities with overwhelming force and really dismantle them. This would lead to general war in the region and possibly the globe so it isn't going to be done. With a bomb Iran becomes a Hegemon in the region and war between Iran and Israel will perpetually be a heartbeat away. Bad situation and we will all pay $$$ for it in time. This possibly could have been stopped with truly decisive sanctions that crushed Iran's economy and led the people to revolt but Obama has decided to take the easy way (so he thinks) and I believe it will backfire badly in time.

• Like 1

I don't want Iran to have a bomb either.

But we cant really stop them, short of going to war. And if we went to war it would only backfire on us and give the radicals more propaganda power, unless we stayed in the country for decades... And no one wants to do that.

Sanctions I feel only really hurts the general population, the rich dictators in charge are not going to be hurt by economic sanctions its the general population who really suffers. Also feeding to anti American sentiment I assume.

I feel the best thing to do would be just to do a small emptivie strike on the facilities if the situation gets dire. But Isreal will probably go ahead and do that at some point anyways.

Really? How about this approach. Hey Iran...remember this? Insert Shock and Awe video. Open up all of your nuclear sites to all inspection or stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye....and if they don't...daisy cutter the hell out of them and see who comes to their side to fight...I don't think anyone will

Iran will have their bomb at the point they decide to assemble it. The only way to even delay that is to attack their facilities with overwhelming force and really dismantle them. This would lead to general war in the region and possibly the globe so it isn't going to be done. With a bomb Iran becomes a Hegemon in the region and war between Iran and Israel will perpetually be a heartbeat away. Bad situation and we will all pay $$$ for it in time. This possibly could have been stopped with truly decisive sanctions that crushed Iran's economy and led the people to revolt but Obama has decided to take the easy way (so he thinks) and I believe it will backfire badly in time.

I think you are wrong...I don't really disagree with you much do I...but I do with this because...who? Who exactly is going to fight...Iran IS the warmonger in the ME. Shock and awe the hell out of them and then...where do you think the insurgents will come from? The people of Iran will cheer in the streets.

We certainly know that war and violence is non-productive.

I think history shows that it war is very PROductive. Look at Japan after ww2. Look at East Germany vs West Germany after ww2

People should watch this. Our foreign policy in a nut shell.....

Link: http://m.youtube.com...h?v=cpP7b2lUxVE

One of my favorite clips.

Funny...really, I laughed out loud.

No basis in reality...but funny! :tu:

Pakistan isn't really threatening to destroy Israel..now are they?

I wouldn't expect you to know this, not accessing media and all, but neither has Iran.

• Like 1

I think history shows that it war is very PROductive. Look at Japan after ww2. Look at East Germany vs West Germany after ww2

It would certainly help to be on the winning side to consider a war as being productive though, wouldn't it? I'm not so sure I see what you're getting at.

There's going to be no way ever that the Iranians would be dumb enough to use a nuke. This would be incredibly counterproductive on their part, because at that point whatever your purpose for using the nuke was is erased anyways. They may come off as being crazy, but they're not dumb. Shock and awe wouldn't work in Iran because unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, they actually have an organized Air Force. They would counterattack and that's something the previous 2 countries couldn't do.

We are finally working with Iran (good God)? So the preferred alternative would be to use Americas's Military Might to eradicate Iran before it can Wipe Israel Off the Map ? And the 77 million population, well, it would be their own fault for not Overthrowing their leaders? Or would America's Military Might be, as it usually is, so incredibly surgically accurate that the Leaders could be taken out without harming anybody else, and then what? The population would be so grateful for freeing them that they'd spontaneously form a democratic, western-friendly government that gives equal rights to women?

Or should it be left for Israel to do it, possibly with a Nuke if necessary?

• Like 3

There's going to be no way ever that the Iranians would be dumb enough to use a nuke. This would be incredibly counterproductive on their part, because at that point whatever your purpose for using the nuke was is erased anyways. They may come off as being crazy, but they're not dumb. Shock and awe wouldn't work in Iran because unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, they actually have an organized Air Force. They would counterattack and that's something the previous 2 countries couldn't do.

That always seems to be the guiding assumption with any country that America and/or Israel dislikes; "They" (en masse) are utterly deranged, and so it disqualifies them from being human so we can discuss them as being (en masse) deranged and evil and recommend taking Military action against them.

• Like 1

I think you are wrong...I don't really disagree with you much do I...but I do with this because...who? Who exactly is going to fight...Iran IS the warmonger in the ME. Shock and awe the hell out of them and then...where do you think the insurgents will come from? The people of Iran will cheer in the streets.

What war have they mongered within living memory? Iraq invaded them in 1980, so are we going back to the days of the Persian empire and Cyrus the Great?

• Like 2

If the last President had finished the war we wouldn't even be talking about a nuclear Iran...We'd be talking about a demilitarized Iraq and Afghanistan.

How would you envisage that would have been done, since surely that's what they have been trying to do for 12 years now. Surely using even more Shock & Awe couldn't demilitarise Afghanistan much more, could it? And I thought Iraq was a peaceful democracy now that we have an obedient puppet- er, a government friendly to Western interests in power- no, wrong word, in office, anyway?

• Like 2

Really? How about this approach. Hey Iran...remember this? Insert Shock and Awe video. Open up all of your nuclear sites to all inspection or stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye....and if they don't...daisy cutter the hell out of them and see who comes to their side to fight...I don't think anyone will

Like the way that no one rushed into Iraq and Afghanistan once America had Shocked and Awed them, you mean? Yes, Military intervention really seems to deter anyone else from joining in.

:unsure2:

• Like 2