Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sugarfree Gum Conspiracy

stevemagegod

Okay guys i work retail at my local Rite Aide and it was just like any other day. Except one lady came up to me and asked if we had any normal Sugar Gums available? She told me that she looked at all of the Gum we had and none of it was just Sugar Gum. I was a little skeptical of her so i toke a look for myself. And to my surprise all of the Gum that we had at the front desks were Sugar free Gums. Which i was very surprised and i doubt any of us have ever noticed this. Including myself until today.

When i got home i did some research on this and i found some interesting articles.

http://www.collectiv...he-supermarket/

http://manithyasudev...ernational.html Skip to Step 1

But the main question is why are we as a store selling just Sugarfree Gum? And its not just one brand its all of the brands that we sell. Do the Companies that sell us the Gum just not make normal Sugar Chewing Gum? Or do we as a company just not order it? For those that work retail i encourage you take a look at the Gum you sell at the front desk and see if there is any normal Sugar Chewing Gum available because i certainly didn't find any.

Edited by stevemagegod
  • Like 3

just have to point out from a health prospective "sugar free" gum doesn't really exist. look at the label it will either contain sugar alcohol or some artificial sweeteners which are also just as bad for you.

I mean its possible to make sugar free gum but no one is selling it :P

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I noticed this a few years ago when I bought a gum I used to like and it tasted funny- Trident, I believe.

I don't chew gum anymore because i can taste the sweetener and do not like it.

Old brands like Beemans and Teaberry still have sugar, I think, if you can find them.

I noticed this a few years ago when I bought a gum I used to like and it tasted funny- Trident, I believe.

I don't chew gum anymore because i can taste the sweetener and do not like it.

Old brands like Beemans and Teaberry still have sugar, I think, if you can find them.

i love beeman's - hard to find around here though.

wrigleys still sells doublemint, juicy fruit, and spearmint gum that contain sugar. also double bubble and those types of gum all still have sugar.

i think it's basically as i said before. it's about dollars per square inch of space. if the sugarfree gum sells better that's what takes the space.

I don't chew gum, but my husband loves the original Juicy Fruit which is still readily available.

• Like 2

dentures and chewing gum don't go well together ~

• Like 1

dentures and chewing gum don't go well together ~

i used to have a partial denture (i have a bridge now) and if i chewed gum it would yank it out of place lol
  • Like 1

so, uh... what's the conspiracy? that a company might not choose to stock gums with sugar? is that all?

• Like 3

so, uh... what's the conspiracy? that a company might not choose to stock gums with sugar? is that all?

pretty much

I used to love gum, but I can't use sweeteners. Some give me a terrible headache, some give me a problem on the other end of my alimentary canal. I would rather just use the sugar-sweetened ones, but to be safe I have given up gum altogether.

• Like 1

I wouldn't label it a conspiracy, but it still bugs me.

Art. sweeteners taste weird and ruin food/beverages imo, and whatever is in diet pop gives me headaches.

Maybe it is good for diabetics, I don't know. And certainly a lot of people prefer "unsweetened" or "calorie free" products.

I'm just not one.

• Like 1

Most chewing gum is chewing poison. Here's a better gum alternative

Sigh. I like chewing gum, but when did it become such a danger? Chewing gum hazardous to your health? Oh yes, add this one to your list, at least when it comes to the major brands.

But all is not lost, there are better chewing gum alternatives. Healthy chewing gum? Not yet. Healthier chewing gum, organic chewing gum even? Yes.

On a recent visit to the local Duane Reade in NYC, I checked out the ingredients in all the big chewing gum brands on the shelf. All of them contained fun things like aspartame, acesulfame k and butylated hydroxytoluene (if you can't pronounce it, should you eat it?)

Better if such careful noting of ALL packaged food stuff ~ ... but its a start ~

I see plenty of "sugar gum" at the store - all of the traditional Wrigley's gums are still sugared (Juicy Fruit, Double Mint, etc.). Then all of the kids bubble gums are sugared.

• Like 2

Dentyne Cinnamon (not Dentyne Ice pellet gums) and Bubbalicious still have sugar. Sweeteners are cheaper and easier to work with when making gum, they don't need the same conditioning that sugar needs.

I don't have a problem with artificial sweeteners, save for lycasin which can have some explosive results.

I don't chew gum a lot... But I have noticed a lot of, well, blah gums on the shelf. Or at least they make me go blah. All sorts of little sticks, and pellets, and tapes.. I rarely see somewhere that sells the 5 stick packs of juicy fruit, just a couple gas stations do- everyone else has those huge packs or multipacks. No one sells clove gum around here :( And even the bubbleyum sort of gums are screwed up, weird **** combinations.

And most of these gums taste just not right. I figured it was because of all the weird flavors, never thought about it that most gum probably has artificial sweeteners now. Tic-tacs don't taste like they used to either, bet they switched over to artificial sweeteners too.

I'm not sure it's a conspiracy though. A lot of people want sugar free stuff, so that's what the companies make.