Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Retired Cop Kills Man for texting

Thanato

yes, looks like i read it wrong, my fault.

No worries, it still doesn't justify the old man to shoot the other guy.

This whole situation, and ensuing debates among people, remind me of bullied school shooters. No one justified any of the school shootings, but it was acknowledged that some of these shootings would've never happened had their peers not treated them so poorly.

• Like 3

It's always better to walk away if you can, weapons and violence should be a last resort and used only if you or your loved ones are threatened with physical harm or death. Popcorn is not a weapon, texting is annoying but hardly worth a fight over, much less a murder.

People like this make things very tough on responsible gun owners and unless he had a concealed carry permit (which you can legally get in Florida) then he is already guilty of a crime before he ever drew the weapon. If he did have one then it should never have been issued, because you have to go through a course and know when and when it is not appropriate to use a weapon; he obviously did not. I know many people that have these permits (they are available in many states) and they know the law and follow it, they do not want the privilege revoked because of stupidity. In one case a permit holder I know foiled a strong arm robbery of his home.

Yes, we have become a rude society, whether it's people cutting you off or nearly running you over on the road, cutting in lines, or acting up in public places like theaters. I've been in theaters by rude people, yapping people, people with horrible body odor, and so forth. If there are seats available I get up and move. Should I have to? No, but you never know when an argument will escalate and then things can get out of hand and you have to ask is it worth it? There were no winners in this case.

People like this make things very tough on responsible gun owners and unless he had a concealed carry permit (which you can legally get in Florida) then he is already guilty of a crime before he ever drew the weapon. If he did have one then it should never have been issued, because you have to go through a course and know when and when it is not appropriate to use a weapon; he obviously did not. I know many people that have these permits (they are available in many states) and they know the law and follow it, they do not want the privilege revoked because of stupidity. In one case a permit holder I know foiled a strong arm robbery of his home.

he is retired cop, he is exempt from any gun laws. he is in no way in the same boat, or subject to same laws as civilians who carry guns.

but you are right, it will make tougher on gun owners, cuz gunhatting crusaders wont even look at that small detail. they'll use it as another excuse to go after civilian guns.

Edited by aztek

Maybe I'm missing something here? How is the texting rude? Functionally its a completely silent and unless you're shoving the phone in peoples face not anymore visually disruptive than someone counting change on their lap. I get that you are not suppose to have phones out in the theater, but I would think this is more in place to prevent disruption of the rest of the audience by talking on it or having it ringing during the feature. Personally I would rather have someone pull out their phone and respond to the text than have it buzz in there pocket the whole time, and I would much prefer to sit next to someone quietly texting than someone who chatters the whole time, slurps loudly or chews with their mouth open. The only offense I can find with texting is that its against policy but I fail to see how it would even effect the people around him, so was he offended on principle of rule breaking?

Edited by CaitSith
  • Like 1

Now I am not justifying what he did or supporting either side, but just a minor detail I'd like to point out. The cop may have felt the throwing of the popcorn was a prelude to an attack. Often times aggressors will throw whatever is in their hands at you to distract you as they lunge/charge at you to gain a slight advantage. Maybe something similar happened to this retired cop in the past. And being an old man, and knowing the other man was relatively young, and knowing from experience he only had moments to react... He did what he felt he had to do to save his life. Again, I'm not taking sides yet until all the evidence comes out but what I just said might play into the cops actions. Just my two cents.

The point of my post was that the general rudeness and complete ignorance of others is what is causing the spiral to swirl ever downward.

And I think that it was the lack of respect for life, and the feeling that shooting another human being can be easily justified that caused the spiral to swirl ever downward.

The cop may have felt the throwing of the popcorn was a prelude to an attack.

Not acceptable.

• Like 2

Easy to say when you weren't there.

I'm just suggesting what his mind set MAY have been when this all went down. Whether it was it not, neither of us know... We will have to wait to see what comes out next. Cheers.

The retired cop was completely out of his mind, his senses, and regard for other human life.

Bad boy's, bad boy's, whatcha goin to do when they come for you. Bad boy's...

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Easy to say when you weren't there.

I'm just suggesting what his mind set MAY have been when this all went down. Whether it was it not, neither of us know... We will have to wait to see what comes out next. Cheers.

Whatever his mindset was, whether he legitimately thought he was in danger or not, he was wrong. Why is it seen as understandable, almost acceptable, to make a mistake such as that, yet its not at all acceptable to commit other crimes "by accident"?

he is retired cop, he is exempt from any gun laws. he is in no way in the same boat, or subject to same laws as civilians who carry guns.

but you are right, it will make tougher on gun owners, cuz gunhatting crusaders wont even look at that small detail. they'll use it as another excuse to go after civilian guns.

You are correct I found an article that stated "Under Florida law, any retired law enforcement officer from ANY jurisdiction in the United States is exempt from the training requirement found in Florida."

Perhaps the law should make retesting mandatory every seven years (or less) even for retired police, that is how long Florida permits are good for, I can understand a retired cop having potential enemies and a need for self protection, but people do change with age, i.e. you eventually have to take the car keys from grandma.

I knew of this guy (Chad Oulson) He went to the same high school I did but moved to Florida afterwards.

People that knew him well said he was an alright guy. It was an immature act on his part to throw popcorn.

But that doesn't warrant a bullet to the chest. It's bad enough when a criminal shoots someone but when an

ex-cop does it, that takes the cake.

Whatever his mindset was, whether he legitimately thought he was in danger or not, he was wrong. Why is it seen as understandable, almost acceptable, to make a mistake such as that, yet its not at all acceptable to commit other crimes "by accident"?

All I was getting at was to keep an open mind until all the facts are in. But what you said above is interesting, very interesting. Even IF the retired cop feared for his life he was wrong defending himself. That's a very scary mindset you have there. :0

All I was getting at was to keep an open mind until all the facts are in. But what you said above is interesting, very interesting. Even IF the retired cop feared for his life he was wrong defending himself. That's a very scary mindset you have there. :0

It is a scary mindset that you have if you think getting popcorn thrown at you warrants a gun shot. How does a man in a crowded movie theater fear for his life because someone threw popcorn? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Even if this would have escalated to a physical altercation, 100 other people wouldn't stand around and let an old man get beat to death. The old man started the altercation. Sure, the guy was breaking the rules of no cell phone use, but it was before the movie even started. Did the old man think the cellphone rule was more of a violation than his bringing a gun into the movie theater?

How high on the rudeness scale would you rate someone texting their daughter before a movie starts?

Slightly rude. More rudeness would be to get p***ed when someone calls you out on it., another raise in rudeness that he took exception that he was tattled on. Even more so that he threw something.

Now again, NONE of that deserves the escalation this got.

I don't think it is unreasonable that this man was asked to stop texting. I do think he should have complied or maybe apologized at that point...but obviously he got an attitude about it. That is the rudeness I'm talking about.

The shooter went to complain (or maybe get a gun, who knows) and the texter decided to escalate it again, throwing something at the man. Again, no excuse for him, and now we have a tragedy. But combine an attitude that guns are always there with the escalating rudeness that people have in public and it's a wonder we don't hear these stories every single day.

Had the ex-cop then smacked the guy upside the head, I'd say it was deserved at that point. That ex-cop should definitely have known better. But, he snapped.

The situation reminds me of one time where the guy in front of me at a traffic light was texting when the light turned green. He just sat there so I gave a tap of the horn. Not a blaring angry honk, just a 'come on let's go'..... Of course, god forbid someone dare 'dis this fellow....

He proceeds to flip me the bird, then starts slamming on his brakes in front of me. As I passed, he again is flipping out, then begins following me...

He grew tired of this as I pulled over and he sped off..... All because HE was being rude. Who knows where that could have escalated to.

It's not the texting that set this guy off, it's the reaction to it.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 3

I have to wonder if the commentary in this thread would be the same if the shooter wasn't a retired cop? Like if it were a gangbanger or some frat boy, a teenage gal or middle aged office chick.

What if it was "Retired school teacher shoots man for texting in library?". Or "Mother of 4 shoots man for texting during the opera?"

• Like 4

I'd think anyone who shoots someone in a theatre, for anything less than a life threatening act, has serious 'problems'.

(we don't seem to know the whole story here though either)

• Like 2

There's nothing wrong with texting or having your phone on watching previews in a Cinema, phones must be switched off when the film starts

Slightly rude. More rudeness would be to get p***ed when someone calls you out on it., another raise in rudeness that he took exception that he was tattled on. Even more so that he threw something.

Now again, NONE of that deserves the escalation this got.

I don't think it is unreasonable that this man was asked to stop texting. I do think he should have complied or maybe apologized at that point...but obviously he got an attitude about it. That is the rudeness I'm talking about.

The shooter went to complain (or maybe get a gun, who knows) and the texter decided to escalate it again, throwing something at the man. Again, no excuse for him, and now we have a tragedy. But combine an attitude that guns are always there with the escalating rudeness that people have in public and it's a wonder we don't hear these stories every single day.

Had the ex-cop then smacked the guy upside the head, I'd say it was deserved at that point. That ex-cop should definitely have known better. But, he snapped.

The situation reminds me of one time where the guy in front of me at a traffic light was texting when the light turned green. He just sat there so I gave a tap of the horn. Not a blaring angry honk, just a 'come on let's go'..... Of course, god forbid someone dare 'dis this fellow....

He proceeds to flip me the bird, then starts slamming on his brakes in front of me. As I passed, he again is flipping out, then begins following me...

He grew tired of this as I pulled over and he sped off..... All because HE was being rude. Who knows where that could have escalated to.

It's not the texting that set this guy off, it's the reaction to it.

it was popcorn that was thrown apparently

• Like 1

If previously the deceased pulled, say, a knife on the ex-cop, than that becomes felony intimidation and reasonable grounds for defense.

Of course, we do not know at this point, but a mature, sober, person would not let the situation escalate(either one of the individuals)

Change theater seats if you can, or, just leave and watch the movie some other time.

• Like 2

I already hated going to the movies anyway. It's never my idea to go, a friend has to drag me there. Yeah, I've seen 3D, whatever, no big deal.

RIP to the victim. Totally unjustified.

I have to wonder if the commentary in this thread would be the same if the shooter wasn't a retired cop? Like if it were a gangbanger or some frat boy, a teenage gal or middle aged office chick.

What if it was "Retired school teacher shoots man for texting in library?". Or "Mother of 4 shoots man for texting during the opera?"

That is an excellent point....

• Like 1

Had the ex-cop then smacked the guy upside the head, I'd say it was deserved at that point.

No it is not. Assault is assault regardless of who did it.

If I slapped someone in the head just because I was "irritated" at their texting (which is a total non-event and none of my business) I would quickly have a regiment of cops on my rear, shoving guns in my face and threatening to kill me if they haven't tased, beaten then shot me already. Being a cop, retired or not, doesn't give them special rights to be bullies or thugs.

Keep your hands to yourself I was taught.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

Why wasn't this your attitude when the cop killed the child that was holding an airsoft rifle? Not very consistent. At least this time the guy was actually attacked.