Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waldviertel Pyramid

CaitSith

Deep in the forest between Zwettl and Gross-Gerungs, stands a 7 meter (22 ft) pyramid. The pyramid is made of loosely stacked natural stones, done in a circular layer style like a cake. It is the only known structure of its kind found in central Europe.

Pyramide_Waldviertel.jpg

The origin and the age of the pyramid are unknown. Some believe it to be a ancient Germanic monument, however this is unlikely as archeological evidence doesn't support this and there was no known prehistoric or early settlement in this area.

More likely is that the pyramid is of a more modern heritage. In 1747, Leopold Christoph founded the masonic lodge in the area at Rosenau Castle. The pyramid may have served as a signaling station for the secret organization. Ruins of walls have been found nearby and it is possible the pyramid was part of a much larger complex.

The strange ivy covered pyramid has been an official monument since 2001.

historicalpyramid.jpg

http://www.atlasobsc...viertel-pyramid

• Like 4

That's cool.

Farmers in recent centuries would stack field, or make walls with it,Who ever did that had some extra time, or money on their hands.

• Like 2

This object does not match any of the geometric characteristics of a pyramid by geometric definition , e.g. quadrangular/triangular base

and triangular side faces. So, this object cannot be subject to any discussion about pyramids.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

I certainly didn't name it, but commend your vigilance and geometric knowledge. Personally I would have called it the Waldviertel Wedding Cake.

• Like 3

Maybe it isn't a pyramid, but it certainly is an unexplained mystery. Way cool, I think.

• Like 1

I certainly didn't name it, but commend your vigilance and geometric knowledge. Personally I would have called it the Waldviertel Wedding Cake.

I thought the same!!

Looks more like a barrow without the topsoil on it to me.

Sir, as you are the expert by title, you should know what it constitutes, Sir.

post-143986-0-43886800-1389910681_thumb.

• Like 1

Does the 'path' spiral up to the top of the structure? It seems to slope in the picture, but that may only be from a dilapidated state.

I agree with the modernish interpretation of it - perhaps as a feature in a (disappeared) maze construction?

I

Does the 'path' spiral up to the top of the structure? It seems to slope in the picture, but that may only be from a dilapidated state.

I agree with the modernish interpretation of it - perhaps as a feature in a (disappeared) maze construction?

I think it's just collapsed, doesn't appear to have any mortar or anything.

This object does not match any of the geometric characteristics of a pyramid by geometric definition , e.g. quadrangular/triangular base

and triangular side faces. So, this object cannot be subject to any discussion about pyramids.

What it is, is a step-cone.

Harte

• Like 1

This is neat. And not much out there about it. I find that interesting in light of the fact that it isn't in the middle of nowhere and easily built within recording of history of the area. I wonder if there are records of this moldering away somewhere?

One would expect more to be established on this site, considering it would have needed some sort of review to establish its protected status.

that's what Wikipedia says about it:

"The original purpose of the pyramid is unknown. An interpretation as a Germanic place of worship or ancient tomb is unlikely because there was no prehistoric or early settlement of this area. An interpretation as medieval or more recent signalling station seems debatable.

The elaborate construction seems to indicate a relatively modern design which could have been in an aristocratic situation - possibly part of a baroque garden or park. "

German Wiki gets a little more specific, dating it pre 19th-century, but not very old. Also, they link its origin with the....BA-BA-BA-BAAAAAAAM..... Freemasons.

• Like 1

I'm having a tough time being (chronically) astonished with the precision workmanship on this one.

And if that's the result of 'Freemasonry', they should clearly return to masonry that someone pays for.

Edited by lilthor

I still think it's some tumulus or barrow without the top soil and grass they normally have on them.