Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UM-Bot

Scientists capture ball lightning on film

20 posts in this topic

Chinese researchers have managed to observe and film natural ball lightning for the first time.

Taking the form of a bright sphere of electrical energy, the enigmatic phenomenon was doubted to even exist at all until around the 1960s. Since then scientists have been able to recreate ball lightning in a lab, but nobody had ever been able to satisfactorily record a naturally occurring example.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261091/scientists-capture-ball-lightning-on-film

That was a bit disappointing. :unsure2:

3 people like this

I was expecting seeing something epic....

1 person likes this

The very definition of anti-climactic. :no:

1 person likes this

I have always found ball lightning to be a fascinating phenomenon, but the video was a bit disappointing.

1 person likes this

I was expecting to see a clear shot of a ball of lightning zipping by at high speeds but instead I get, whatever that was. *Sigh* Maybe next time.

I guess in all fairness that was possibly the first video of it ever, or the first one I've seen of ball lightning, I guess scientists have to do it under certain conditions and follow certain rules. To my knowledge it's not exactly safe, so no bouncing around for now :(. Still this is to be remembered as a step forward.

What the hell was that?

I totally agree with the "disapointing" aspect of the vid.

But then, I'm not a scientist, and perhaps I do not appreciate whatever value is in that film.

Nah, that looks like a ufo to me, probably alien in origin.

Or even a weather balloon?

They caught it on camera and a spectrograph, which is what is seen on the right side of the video.

It would appear that ball lightning is in fact just oxidizing silicon vapor. Neat.

1 person likes this

Well I must say the distinct lack of "Ball" and "Lightning" really threw me with this one.

The fading green blue red thing was OK though :)

1 person likes this

You ungrateful lot. All that effort they put into this so you can see....................absolutely nothing!!

1 person likes this

They were hoping little green men would pop out. :)

This isn't the first time, they have been recording them in Norway for ages.

Hmmm, very interesting. Having been in a large electrical storm that lasted overnight at an altitude of 5000 feet in Colorado and having seen ball lightning for myself, I can't begin to understand what in the video would be considered ball lightning.

I could be wrong here, but I always thought ball lightning was when balls of electricity came rolling out along the ground. I remember reading about this in one of the Little House books and thought it was figment of the author's imagination. Years later, I found out it actually happens. And for some reason, I always thought that was called ball lightning.

That video was more disappointing then watching two midgets try to dry hump a doorknob.

@Azznerk - can't say midgets it's not PC.....vertically challenged persons.

Kinda spoils the joke though.