Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you survive a nuclear detonation ?

UM-Bot

New research has suggested that running may be more effective than sheltering where you are.

The Cold War might be over, but the threat of a nuclear attack on a populated area has never truly disappeared. Traditional advice in the event of a nuclear explosion is to shelter in the nearest protective building, but atmospheric scientist Michael Dillon has determined that there could be a more effective option.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261139/how-do-you-survive-a-nuclear-detonation

• Like 1

Yes, survive and get radiation sickness, fun.

• Like 1

Would you want to survive a nuclear detonation, though?

:unsure2:

100,000 seems kinda dismal.

Well, according to one popular theory, (popular around here at any rate), millions of people did survive just that when the Twin Towers were demolished by means of a Mini Nuke. And alsoa ccording to that theory, all this advice is superfluous now since these new improved Nukes produce hardly any fallout or detectable radiation, and for that matter not much blast either. :unsure2:

• Like 1

Wait. I thought we could just duck and cover under any available school desk and be fine!

• Like 6

The best option would be set up your deckchair at ground zero,put on your sun glasses and be prepared to take in some major rays.

It kind of reminds me of the Phamplets that were released at the height of the cold war,telling people to remove their cupboard doors to make a shelter and paint their windows white.

Laughable.......

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 1

So, we're just NOW realizing that a nuclear detonation is bad, and to get as far away from that as possible is good? What is wrong with people, ffs. Blast radius + radiation = BAD get away from it asap!

Edited by WoIverine

Puts me in mind of a big sign I saw in Portland in the States many years ago. It said, "If Mt. St. Helens erupts, do not go there." (This was during the lead up to the actual event).

Better shelter within 5 minutes travel. Well if you live in the city that's not going to get you very far. It could take hours to go a couple of miles.

If you don't already have adequate shelter for that bend over and kiss your as goodbye because your going to die.

Wait. I thought we could just duck and cover under any available school desk and be fine!

Yes, according to the movies we watched in school it works for Nuclear war and earthquakes!

• Like 1

If a bomb is coming out way , most of us will be at work, on the train, no hear anything about until it's too late, or robbing bank because because you know you're going to die anyway. The rape percentage is going to go through the roof.

any one that does survive is going wish they were dead, or die a very agonisingly slow death. Argue with that. Anything you eat or drink is going to posin you. You might as well run towards the bomb and get it over and done with.

Edited by Rhino666

Yes, according to the movies we watched in school it works for Nuclear war and earthquakes!

I've always heard that when you see the flash you stoop down, put your head between you legs, then kiss you butt goodbye! But that's just a rumor!

Nice Calvin and Hobbes BTW, sure do miss them :(.

Edited by Sundew

Maybe a more appropriate question is do you want to survive a nuclear holocaust?

I saw a clip yesterday about farm animals (hybrid pigs in this case) taking over the area that was abandoned after Fukushima. They are doing quite well, breeding and expanding in range and in number. They are driving out the few farmers who have returned to the area because they are devouring all the feed for the farmers animals. Of course we have a longer lifespan and are probably more subject to cancer and other harmful effects of radiation, but depending on wind, you might luck out and be in an area of limited fallout. Still you are correct, it would be no picnic even just to survive.

I love the fact that they assume your brain will function normally enough to keep track of time just after you've witnessed your Neighborhood, house, family and friends disintegrated and the city you once knew and loved is a smoking crater.

• Like 1

You don't. The best thing to do is put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye!

• Like 1

Well, according to one popular theory, (popular around here at any rate), millions of people did survive just that when the Twin Towers were demolished by means of a Mini Nuke. And alsoa ccording to that theory, all this advice is superfluous now since these new improved Nukes produce hardly any fallout or detectable radiation, and for that matter not much blast either. :unsure2:

...They weren't destroyed by a mini nuke.

• Like 1

Psst. They lied, but you know that.

Quizzically, I guess that they had to give us some hope, you know, with the world ending and all.

We had it better in the 60's, we had money, our own well supplied family bomb shelters and public ones in most towns. We don't even know what kind of weapon we would be hit with now. Civilians aren't prepared for natural disasters or even a power outage let alone something of this magnitude if it were in your area.

New research has suggested that running may be more effective than sheltering where you are.

All of my instinct would tell me to run anyway.

• Like 1

If you survive, it means you are on the edge of the destruction zone, so next thing is to get outta there and keep the radiation exposure as short as possible.

I say the best solution is too hang out in vaults. Just make sure that you pack enough weapons for the radioactive ants :P (Fallout joke for any Fallout fans)

• Like 1