Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Older brains slower due to knowing so much

UM-Bot

An older person takes longer to remember things because their brain contains so much information.

It was long believed that as a person gets older they have a more difficult time remembering things due to the cognitive decline of their brain, but now scientists have revealed that it is more likely to be down to the simple fact that the older you are, the more information you have stored in your head.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261191/older-brains-slower-due-to-knowing-so-much

• Like 1

It takes me hours, days.. sometimes months to remember stuff...

... so ....

:D

• Like 3

What was the topic again?

• Like 7

I'm old and (so far) I don't have any problem remembering things or learning new things. I'm of the 'use it or lose it' mentality. That said, things may change in about 20 years when I'm pushing 80...but I may not care by then!

• Like 4

I'm old and (so far) I don't have any problem remembering things or learning new things. I'm of the 'use it or lose it' mentality. That said, things may change in about 20 years when I'm pushing 80...but I may not care by then!

Oh you will care, I assure you, if you understand at all.

I wonder if this report has some scientific basis or is just someone's guess. When I was in my teens and twenties I leaned several languages readily, some with considerable fluency. I haven't done that again for maybe thirty or so years, simply because of being too busy doing other things. Now that I have quite a bit of free time I've considered this -- since learning languages reportedly strengthens the brain -- but honestly the commitment required just exhausts me thinking about it. I think maybe learning is not more difficult but you have less energy.

• Like 2

My mother spends a lot of her time doing word and number puzzles, to keep her mind active. These are 'cryptic' puzzles, btw.

Just the other day, she couldn't remember the name of her first school! :(

• Like 4

My mother spends a lot of her time doing word and number puzzles, to keep her mind active. These are 'cryptic' puzzles, btw.

Just the other day, she couldn't remember the name of her first school! :(

Well I can't remember what I had or breakfast this morning, but if you had asked me the same question when I was in my twenties I wouldn't have been able to remember either. Some things are memorable and some aren't.

You aren't going to catch me doing puzzles though.

• Like 1

Just because one is "old" is no guarantee that they "know a lot".

I have been around people who were thirty to forty years older than I and they still were ignorant of everything around them and worse yet, many made a deliberate effort to be ignorant (like about computer basics) yet expected everyone around them to show them how to use their own machine.

Personally I really don't care about learning much about anything that I cannot use to make money off of. If I have no use for it then why learn it at all?

If you want a functioning brain then watch what you eat and be aware of the toxins in the food and water and refrain from eating that processed garbage they call "food" these days.

Makes sense to me....the more crap you put on a PC, the slower it runs, so.....

Isn't the brain essentially a computer?

And I don't necessarily think it's a question of knowledge as much as experience.....if you log more days, whether they are filled with learning or not, you still have those days of data rolling around in your noggin....

• Like 3

it could be true. have noticed this in work life. most of us r very ambitious when young:"u wanna be this n that..." but as u age the mind n body seem to tire faster. n u be thinking:"just a stable job with ok pay would do." in fact am now hoping for early retirement in a laid back country..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

I went shopping for a USB brain on Amazon yesterday... they're out of stock. Not only is my brain full, I think I have a bad sector, and I could definitely use a good defragging. LOL. :P

• Like 4

I went shopping for a USB brain on Amazon yesterday... they're out of stock. Not only is my brain full, I think I have a bad sector, and I could definitely use a good defragging. LOL. :P

Get a good night's sleep.
  • Like 1

So it seems this "scientific" research is based on software models. Right there that makes me skeptical. Also, their population sampling seems rather limited. What about people living in hunter-gatherer societies? I don't think they are bombarded every day with information overload. Does that mean their brains are sharp as a tack into their nineties?

See honey! I would have remembered our anniversary if I didn't know so much!

• Like 1

Makes sense to me....the more crap you put on a PC, the slower it runs, so.....

Isn't the brain essentially a computer?

And I don't necessarily think it's a question of knowledge as much as experience.....if you log more days, whether they are filled with learning or not, you still have those days of data rolling around in your noggin....

Yes - It's a computer with an organic hard drive. A computer slows when the hard drive gets too many file fragments. I guess our brains need a way to defrag themselves.

• Like 1

Yes - It's a computer with an organic hard drive. A computer slows when the hard drive gets too many file fragments. I guess our brains need a way to defrag themselves.

That is why sleep is so important. 'System reboot'

• Like 1

So, our brains are just like computers... I'm more functional because I know so little then. ^-^

• Like 2

So, our brains are just like computers... I'm more functional because I know so little then. ^-^

Tao :yes:

• Like 1

Oh, honey, just you wait. It's a whole new world every morning when you reach the age of 80, and not necessarily because you can't remember the day before.

• Like 5

This sounds like utter garbage to me. Speaking personally I feel I can compute, remember and retrieve information a lot faster than when I was younger.

Simple case of when I was younger I was immature and had no interest, now I am older I have a lot more interest in things and can apply information a lot quicker.

• Like 1

Are you 80 or over?

• Like 1

i blame television commercials

they take up a tremendous amount of brain room and i recommend no one watches them EVER!

• Like 3

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...

• Like 1