Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Zero2Hero

Who here is involved in Cryptozoology?

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone on this forum ever taken part in any, and I use this term loosely, "official" expeditions?

Is anyone involved with any cryptozoological organisations, fieldwork etc.

I'd love to go on an expedition myself, especially to look for Mokele mbembe.

I wouldn't say I did any "expeditions" but for several years I had a massive interest in figuring out what locals were seeing in my area, that were being described as big black cats. Depending on who you ask, it may or may not constitute "cryptozoology". I live in KY so, there shouldn't be any big cats at all, and so no one took them seriously. A relative told me a story about a black cat she saw in the fields behind her house that drove her dogs crazy, they spotlighted it and watched it for several minutes and described it as being jaguar-like and larger than a German shepherd dog. I followed it up immediately and explored the track area and found prints that were wildly larger than her biggest dogs' paws. The shape indicated they were undoubtedly cat tracks. I kept getting stories from others nearby that they had seen and heard families of them, even cubs. The biggest problem was that they were all telling stories about black cats, and some tracks I found were larger than pumas.

I talked to F&W officials who blew it off, claiming that there weren't even cougars in the area (they are technically considered extinct here). What I wound up doing was hanging up a map and pinpointing the areas and then going to them to sniff around at what I could find. What I found was undisputable evidence for cougars, eye witnesses reported that they were doing everything they could to keep the cats off their properties and out of livestock, and I documented the tracks and also heard puma calls in some instances. I hiked some strip mines and documented cougar and black bear tracks in similar areas, and also hiked some very eastern parts of the state where I found more tracks.

After coming to the conclusion there were definitely cougars here, I pretty much just gave it up and threw everything away. F&W wasn't going to listen to me, but I'd solved the mystery for myself and pretty much lost interest in it after that. I couldn't solve why some people described black cats (there are very few, or no, documented cases of melanistic cougars), but IMO it could be that black cougars survived where as tan ones were hunted, and black served as better camoflauge therefore endured.

There are more and more sightings of them making headlines but F&W won't say that they're here for good. Which SUCKS for conservation, because they ARE here and they should be protected. But that's exactly why F&W won't do anything -- they don't want to protect the cats. If they accept they're here, protection for their survival would be mandatory.

You might find this topic interesting too.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188980&st=0&p=3548337entry3548337

2 people like this

Sound like you live a eventful life SC.

1 person likes this

Zero2hour start you own group where you live I bet there are people in your area that are in to this also