Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magic the Gathering

green_dude777

Anyone here play Magic the Gathering at all? Or used to?

Anyone here play Magic the Gathering at all? Or used to?

Used to, too expensive.

• Like 1

Used to, too expensive.

Yeah, I've heard it referred to as 'cardboard crack' several times.

Yeah, I've heard it referred to as 'cardboard crack' several times.

I was going to post that, I still like the game, I didn't want to publicize a bad name for it.

Never played, but for some reason I seem to have inherited a box of the cards, lol.

Anyone with old cards should check their value, there are some older cards that are worth quite a bit of cash. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/all_magic_sets.asp Here's a commonly used site to evaluate the value of your cards.

Anyone with old cards should check their value, there are some older cards that are worth quite a bit of cash. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/all_magic_sets.asp Here's a commonly used site to evaluate the value of your cards.

lol, guess my cards are worthless.. They say Blood Wars on the back, and that isn't even on the list.

This is a good one also:

http://classic.magictraders.com/pricelists/

I used to walk around campus with a file and my cards neatly inserted into the jackets. LoL. Now days, I play it on my iPad. WOTC came out with a really cool app and a lot less expensive than buying the actual decks.

I play the game, and I've got so many cards I've run out of places to store them. Several binders full just sit on the floor in my room. It's a disease.

I originally started when 3rd had been out. I played until '97. A few times, I would look into getting back into it until I decided just to sell off 80% of my cards on ebay. I kept just enough of each color just to throw together a deck or two, but pretty much all of my rares were gone. Just recently, I decided to get back into it. Now, I am kicking myself for sellling all of my cards. To think, I had 4 of each of the dual lands...ugh!

MTG is a blast, but it is cardboard crack.

I'm more of a collector. It's an addiction. I'm anxiously anticipating the release of Born Of The Gods.

I used to play back in the 90's. I had a kickass Goblin deck, lots of cheap monsters, Instants, Interrupts, Artefacts that hurt my enemies, let me draw more cards, lay down extra land. I can't recall the exact cards, but here is a rough idea:

4x Howling Mine

4x Black Vise

4x Voodoo Doll

1x Wheel of Fortune (Category 2 deck, the Wheel of Fortune was restricted, from memory)

4x Goblin Grenade

4x Lightning Bolt

4x Fireball

12x random 1-mana cost goblins

23x Mountain Land

I may have forgotten one or two or three special items (probably replacing a couple of the Voodoo Dolls/Black Vises), but this is my recollection. I got back into MTG briefly about ten years ago, but by this stage they'd released a bunch of new cards, new colours (crystals? Can't recall exactly) so I didn't really get back in it for long. I wish I never got rid of my Goblin deck, though :P

Edited by Paranoid Android

• 1 month later...

I play regular mtg from time to time with a close friend... even though we haven't purchased boosters or such in years , we still manage to have a blast with fun combinations or just plain weird ones, even if decks are made out of outdated editions/expansions. Usually I go bant/naya aggro , and my friend plays esper control

I played for an extremely brief period of time as a kid. A kid that lived across the street from me got a couple of booster packs & his mom said "they were satanic". So she made him give them to me. I was checking out the cards & noticed a Black Lotus card & became insanely excited... that's when I was immediately disappointed. It wasn't a Black Lotus. It was a Blacker Lotus. He had known so very little about MtG that he bought a couple of Unglued booster decks. With cards like these:

80169.jpg4af8b085-223a-4f5a-8b93-5bc968d6867b.jpgmtgcom_arcana_496_pic1_en.jpg835.jpg

Edited by DumpsterJesus
  • Like 1

As silly as the unglued cards were, this one terrified me when I was a little kid.

62.jpg

I have no idea why.

• Like 1

As silly as the unglued cards were, this one terrified me when I was a little kid.

62.jpg

I have no idea why.

That is pretty creepy. Almost like something out of the Supernatural version of Deliverance. "Squeal like a pig boy!"
  • Like 1

Sold 30000 cards six months ago for a steal. I just wanted them gone. I had lugged them around for years through three different states. I miss them but I wasn't going to sit my life away putting them on eBay. Sold them all for 250.00 I could have made more selling them for a penny each but meh... I was done.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Sold 30000 cards six months ago for a steal. I just wanted them gone. I had lugged them around for years through three different states. I miss them but I wasn't going to sit my life away putting them on eBay. Sold them all for 250.00 I could have made more selling them for a penny each but meh... I was done.

A few weeks ago I sold a single card for $90. You could've gotten so much more than 250 for your cards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly, I was just about to start a thread on this. I'm a very casual player, trying to avoid spending too much money on it. But yes, I play.