Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada 'bans Marmite and Irn-Bru'

Still Waters

The owner of a British food shop in Canada says he has been ordered to stop selling Marmite, Ovaltine and Irn-Bru because they contain illegal additives.

Mr Badger said he had been selling the items since 1997.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-25867613

• Like 1

Well if he selling products whivh contain illegal additives, then yes, ban them. The owner is not in England now, where rules are side stepped to accomodate imports (incase they offend their culture). As a business man he should know the rules and regulations in the country he is selling his produce in.....I wish England would follow suit.

We have A Little Bit of Britain store nearby. They have the best chocolate and candy.

• Like 1

Ihad a vague idea of what Marmite is... googled it anyway and found that a ban wouldn't have affected my pantry :w00t:

As per CFIA HP Marmite is not allowed to import due to non-compliance to the Canadian regulations. I have found a document there stating this fact and dated 17JAN2012. So the general question is how the stuff was imported into Canada at least from 17JAN2012 on, strictly spaeking was this stuff maybe imported customs declared incorrect just to cheat the import regulations of Canada.

Good I despise Marmite,as long as i can still get my HP sauce and my English Tea I will be happy.

Edited by shaddow134

Ohnoooo not Ovaltine ! I drink it once in awhile.. sometimes quite often, and i've never noticed increased "hyper activity" .. a little energy maybe ...

Marmite is Satan's haemorrhoid cream.

lovely..... :w00t:

Remember the GOV knows best what to put into your body.

Yes, I'm fairly sure a government food scientist knows more about food science than the average person does.

The owner of a British food shop in Canada says he has been ordered to stop selling Marmite, Ovaltine and Irn-Bru because they contain illegal additives.

Mr Badger said he had been selling the items since 1997.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-25867613

What's the problem? He could sell Vegemite instead!

http://www.vegemite.com.au/Pages/default.aspx

Ohnoooo not Ovaltine ! I drink it once in awhile.. sometimes quite often, and i've never noticed increased "hyper activity" .. a little energy maybe ...

i don't understand why ovaltine has come under fire. i remember having it in our house when i was a kid - i didn't like it but my siblings drank it often

also, a chain restaurant here called Red Robin uses ovaltine in one of their (alcohol added) milkshake drinks and no one is complaining about that...strange.

Yes, I'm fairly sure a government food scientist knows more about food science than the average person does.

Fairly sure... pretty sure... exactly how sure? Sure enough to take the high statist position.

thanks

Fairly sure... pretty sure... exactly how sure? Sure enough to take the high statist position.

thanks

That sure they keep changing their minds every year,talk about a Nanny State.

• Like 1

Good I despise Marmite,as long as i can still get my HP sauce and my English Tea I will be happy.

Nice try old mate, H.P sauce is made in Holland (it says so on my bottle) and "English" tea is imported from India and Shri-Lanka, We don't MAKE things these days we just change the labels.Would you believe that Curry and Chips is now the most favourite "English" meal...it used to be fish & chips and mushy peas.Everything else over here is made in China.
  • Like 1

thanks

Yes.

Along the same lines that I trust my dentists to know more about the best treatment for my teeth than me. Or that my car mechanic knows more about the state of my car than I do. Or that my builder knows more about constructing my extension than I do.

On the other hand, there are things I know a lot more about than they do. Food science is not one of them.

Nice try old mate, H.P sauce is made in Holland (it says so on my bottle) and "English" tea is imported from India and Shri-Lanka, We don't MAKE things these days we just change the labels.Would you believe that Curry and Chips is now the most favourite "English" meal...it used to be fish & chips and mushy peas.Everything else over here is made in China.

Yeah I realise that,I am referring to the blend of tea for English taste as they do orange pekoe tea over here.I grew up on H.P sauce back in the UK.

Marmite is Satan's haemorrhoid cream.

Ohhhh, the mental image I am having right now. :cry:

i don't understand why ovaltine has come under fire. i remember having it in our house when i was a kid - i didn't like it but my siblings drank it often

also, a chain restaurant here called Red Robin uses ovaltine in one of their (alcohol added) milkshake drinks and no one is complaining about that...strange.

I wonder if it's because it's being served as a drink with alcohol in it, and it's considered on a level that the consumer is aware of, if you know what I mean. Does this drink come from the bar? (yeah, my inner-duh might be showing here. *shrugs*)

Is this just one store in a chain that has been impacted? If it's just one store in a chain, I would suspect there's a problem with that store specifically.

The article says:

Marmite falls foul of Canada's laws because it is enriched with vitamins.

Since when are vitamins a banned substance?

The article says:

Since when are vitamins a banned substance?

It might be because of what the vitamins come from is OK in UK but not OK in Canada. I mean this like if the source of say B12 is approved in one place, but a different kind of source for B12 is used in the other place. Or if the type of yeast used in UK isn't approved in Canada.

I know this happens sometimes in other products when a food coloring or sweetener or other ingredients needs to be changed from one country to another. So it might not be the vitamin itself, but rather the ingredient that provides that vitamin.

That's just a guess though- I don't know Canadian food laws beyond the general grasp of international food laws, and the article does not really say exactly what the objectionable ingredients are.

• Like 2

Ohhhh, the mental image I am having right now. :cry:

I wonder if it's because it's being served as a drink with alcohol in it, and it's considered on a level that the consumer is aware of, if you know what I mean. Does this drink come from the bar? (yeah, my inner-duh might be showing here. *shrugs*)

no the average consumer is not aware of what is in the drink. i only know because i asked. it's basically a milkshake with whiskey, guinness beer and ovaltine in it. it's pretty good actually lol
  • Like 1