Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare new snowdrop discovered in UK garden

Still Waters

A rare new snowdrop has been discovered at the gardens of a historic house in North London, it has been claimed.

The plant was discovered by Matt Bishop, a snowdrop authority who runs a business selling unusual snowdrops, at Myddleton House Gardens in Enfield.

http://www.telegraph...in-Enfield.html

• Like 1

Mr Bishop said the plant appeared to be a previously unseen cultivar of Gvalentinei, a hybrid between the two species G.nivalis and G.plicatus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/plants/10602096/Rare-new-snowdrop-discovered-in-Enfield.html

He runs a business selling unusual snowdrops and is a passionate horticulturalist, so it is more likely he has cloned this himself. Well done if he has, but the title should not say discovered.

This is the second new snowdrop to be discovered in 10 years in the gardens, he has all the means to mix a valis and a catis or a catus.

Lovely little flower :) I think it's entirely possible he discovered it instead of purposely bred it. More of an "Oops, what have we here" rather than a "Hey, I got that cross to work".

• Like 1

we have a rarity on our marina, snowdrops....they are not due for another month.

Not sure now what is rarer, this guys snowdrop in his snowdrop controlled gardens or our snowdrop which has got it timing wrong?

• Like 1

I like snowdrops, we have some in the garden, they come up every year usually before the crocus and daffodils. Very hardy wee plants as the snow and frost doesn't seem to affect them. Ours always have the all white flowers, the ones in the article are white and green. They look nice but I like the all white ones best.

That site caused a virus alert on my computer

It's the Telegraph. I use that site every day with no problems at all, never have had.