Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
UM-Bot

Neanderthal genetic code lives on in humans

16 posts in this topic

Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.

In an effort to learn more about the genetic similarities between Neanderthals and modern humans, Benjamin Vernot and Joshua Akey at the University of Washington sequenced the genomes of 600 people and then used a computer to identify gene variants that seemed to be Neanderthal in origin.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261635/neanderthal-genetic-code-lives-on-in-humans

1 person likes this

I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!!

Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2548126/Are-hairy-diabetic-smokes-suffers-stomach-cramps-Blame-NEANDERTHAL-ancestry.html#ixzz2rsZJaQnp

2 people like this

Certainly not a new theory but some interesting new facts. No DNA markers were found on the X chromosome so all N traits were passed on by females suggesting hybrid male infertility.

Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.

But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors?

But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors?

You answered your own *SNIP*question..."1/5". *SNIP*

Edited by Lilly
no need to be rude

Very cool I always feel like aim a Neanderthal

I read an article recently about a Rugby League player (Dave Taylor) here in Australia who has torn a calf muscle. What's interesting is apparently the "injured muscle only exists in the smallest percentage of the world's population. It is apparently a genetic throwback to our ancestry - a muscle used for climbing trees - and is super rare."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-giant-dave-taylor-has-dash-of-caveman-genetics/story-fniabjcr-1226810843014

Edited by avs76
2 people like this

Someone with the name of gOOdfella should know better than to be rude to an old lady who simply asked an honest question. That just isn't necessary.

2 people like this

My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian.

1 person likes this

Because Science refused the idea of more than one modern human ancestor race. (It’s the influence of religion actually, god created the man, not to digress too far, so religious scientists stuck to that intentionally and non-religious ones out of set of reasons, ranging from conformism to stupidity.)

DNA changed that dogma, but the terminology, apparently, still hasn’t changed.

1 person likes this

My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian.

It may sound as stupid question, but what they meant with Asian?

Asian-Asian, or Slavic?

(I’m asking because it’s no wonder to bring Slavic genes from Europe, and there’s bizarre old belief about Asian origin of Slavs, while truly Asian genes couldn’t go unnoticed in Ireland or Germany.)

Also you are abusing the use of the "comma".

970218_10152803568290487_619499385_n_zps428fccdc.jpg

2 people like this

That seems very strange, 43% Asian, as in East Asian I'm assuming, and you couldn't see this in her phenotype?

I don't know why that so surprising we carry codes from all the way back to the earliest known primates from which we've defended. We don't just drop those codes.

I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!!

Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2rsZJaQnp

Smoking is caused by Neanderthals?

I think it's time to review a couple of UM rules:

5a. Personal attacks: Attack the point being presented, not the person who is making it.

5b. Spelling and grammar: Do not point out mistakes or criticise other members on their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Edited by Lilly
oops