Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Connecticut Gun Owners Revolt

OverSword

It seems CT's high capacity mag and assault rifle registrations are not going over too well. Perhaps the general concensus is that owning fire arms without telling the government is an inalieble right regardless of legislation.

Way to go Connecticut!

From the article:

Gun owners in Connecticut have revolted against a new gun control law, with just 38,000 out of 2.4 million high capacity magazines being registered with authorities. Following the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012, Connecticut passed a law which banned ammunition magazines capable of carrying more than 10 rounds. Residents who had acquired such magazines before the law came into effect were mandated to register them with state police by January 1, 2014. The law also banned assault rifles manufactured after 1994, requiring them to be declared to authorities. Weeks after the deadline expired, authorities revealed that 50,016 assault weapons and 38,290 ammunition magazines had been registered.

Read it here

• Like 4

but...but... what about the children? 0_0 lol

• Like 2

lol, did they really think everyone would jump on it.

how do cops know how many HC mags are in peoples possesion??? do they automaticly assume everyone that has an assault rifle has such mag???

but if they didn't regester their rifles, how do cops know how many are there??

Edited by aztek

lol looks like the registration numbers we had in Canada nation-wide

• Like 1

Am I reading this right? They are comparing numbers sold as of 2011 vs what's been registered as of January this year?

lol looks like the registration numbers we had in Canada nation-wide

Was that registration followed by a confiscation?

Am I reading this right? They are comparing numbers sold as of 2011 vs what's been registered as of January this year?

No, they were referencing a study from 2011.

Yes, you were reading it right. The legislative office conducted a study in 2011 of the numbers sold, and no such study has been conducted since.

Yes, you were reading it right. The legislative office conducted a study in 2011 of the numbers sold, and no such study has been conducted since.

Doh! It was I who was misreading. Sorry rashore.

No, they were referencing a study from 2011.

Thanks. Aren't they just guessing at how many of these things there are in Connecticut then? Given study data of course, but they don't really know if those numbers are accurate to what people actually own. Some of those numbers could be out of state by now?

Doh! It was I who was misreading. Sorry rashore.

Either way, I don't think it affect's the comparison much. I wouldn't think all of the owners sold off their rifles and magazines to out of state purchasers. If anything, I would think that the number of assault rifles and HCM's within the state are higher, further skewing the results to the point that the article was making.

Was that registration followed by a confiscation?

Nope. Neighbour across the street came up from Texas and brought a ton of guns with him - he's a very avid hunter. I've yet to see any po-pos knocking on his door...

Thanks. Aren't they just guessing at how many of these things there are in Connecticut then? Given study data of course, but they don't really know if those numbers are accurate to what people actually own. Some of those numbers could be out of state by now?

I'm guessing that where the margin of error occurs is purchases via internet.

Not sure what you mean by that. They can make a fair estimate of gun numbers by examining states sales tax data, but numbers gathered that way would not account for items purchased accross state lines via the interwebs.

Not sure what you mean by that. They can make a fair estimate of gun numbers by examining states sales tax data,

that means gun stores have that data, and for each purchase there is a form filled out, with name address, and serial.

why not just look at that???

Yeah, that's the problem, they don't know how much has been bought outside direct retailers.. or how many of those purchases might already be out of state. I mean, lots of people might have gotten rid of their mags, bringing the 2011 total down- or people could have bought a bunch from other sources, and the total is much higher.

I understand why they are using the 2011 numbers, it's probably the best data they have. It's just not enough for me to feel it's a proper comparison.

Edited by rashore

Connecticut gun owners are revolting!

You're telling me. They stink ON ICE!

I consider the fact that the government just plain doesn't know how many of what types of guns we have a good thing.

• Like 1

Don't you need a special ATF license to own an Assailt Rifle? Haven't they been banned for decades?

yes, you absolutely correct. true assault rifles are tightly regulated, you need class 3 license, very hard to get, and you got to pay special tax on each gun, $200 iirc, not to mention they cost $10000 and up.

what media calls Assault Rifles, these days, are look alikes, not true AR. but is sounds so scarry.

yes, you absolutely correct. true assault rifles are tightly regulated, you need class 3 license, very hard to get, and you got to pay special tax on each gun, $200 iirc, not to mention they cost $10000 and up.

what media calls Assault Rifles, these days, are look alikes, not true AR. but is sounds so scarry.

I know, I was just playing dumb. I use an Assault rifle at work. Repetition and Fully Automatic, nice rifle.

~Thanato