Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amanda Knox & Raffae Sollecito Found Guilty

Still Waters

A court in Italy has upheld the original convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for killing Meredith Kercher.

Knox was sentenced to 28 years while Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years.

http://news.sky.com/...-kercher-murder

I was just reading this on another news site. It'll be interesting to see the result of the extradition request.

"I expected better from the Italian justice system" So did she pay the Italian courts to say she was not guilty?

I haven't followed this, just bits of what appears in the U.S. papers.

Anyone up on all the evidence and information

What is your opinion?

• Like 1

I haven't followed this, just bits of what appears in the U.S. papers.

Anyone up on all the evidence and information

What is your opinion?

long story and im surprised you have not followed this.

i followed it extensively throughout and in my opinion the evidence does not exist. the motive they present makes no sense. the lengths they have gone to to cover up their mistakes and outright fabrications is unbelievable.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 7

Lets keep going to court till we get the verdict we want,just got to love the Italian way.....

• Like 4

i followed it extensively throughout and in my opinion the evidence does not exist. the motive they present makes no sense. the lengths they have gone to to cover up their mistakes and outright fabrications is unbelievable.

The evidence of Knox and her boyfriend's guilt is not only lacking but points away from there being more than one assailant.

• Like 2

Poor girl, they are not going the give up are they? She is innocent. and not guilty.

Guilt or innocence is kind of beyong the point when there wasn't even sufficient evidence to bring them to trial in most countries.

• Like 1

Amanda is simply too beautiful an American to deport back to Italy to face their mafia justice. Sorry, Italy. :(

They've got some black dude behind bars right now for the murder anyway. So the black guy did it, duh.

• Like 1

Poor girl, they are not going the give up are they? She is innocent. and not guilty.

there is no way she will be sent back against her will. it's so blatantly obvious that she was unjustly targeted
  • Like 1

If Sollecito was smart, he'd beat a fast path out of Italy, like the second they read that verdict. We'll take him here in Seattle. We know they're both innocent and likely would not extradite him either. Knox's lawyer already filed another appeal. Like the second the decision was handed down.

• Like 1

Another thing is Amanda has so far has not even bothered to feel for the girls family and why bother to write a book? The last time someone wrote a book about the experience he had was Adolf Hitler

There are two VERY important aspects here.

First, an appeal has been submitted to the Italian Supreme Court... the same court that vacated the appeal court decision earlier.

Here is the good news...

Knox is, by default, is in "double jeopardy", which is against American law, being an American.

Any extradition would be illegal under those conditions.

• Like 1

There are two VERY important aspects here.

First, an appeal has been submitted to the Italian Supreme Court... the same court that vacated the appeal court decision earlier.

Here is the good news...

Knox is, by default, is in "double jeopardy", which is against American law, being an American.

Any extradition would be illegal under those conditions.

Wrong. It is not double jeopardy. It is up to the State Dept to decide whether or not she would be extradited if the Italians decided to apply for extradition. The US would need a very good reason to deny the Italians request to extradite a convicted murderer back to Italy to serve out her sentence.

Wrong. It is not double jeopardy. It is up to the State Dept to decide whether or not she would be extradited if the Italians decided to apply for extradition. The US would need a very good reason to deny the Italians request to extradite a convicted murderer back to Italy to serve out her sentence.

There may not be anything in the extradition treaty agreement that requires Italian law to uphold US double jeopardy laws, but what are the implications of the US allowing one of their citizens to be extradited to another country for a crime they would not be allowed to be tried for in their own?

This is going to go on for years until she is either exonerated or the Italians exhaust all avenues to enforce the treaty, I don't see her going anywhere.

police have found Raffaele Sollecito near the Austrian border after a court reinstated his guilty verdict for the murder of Briton Meredith Kercher in 2007.

Sollecito's passport was confiscated but his lawyer said his client had never thought of fleeing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25978340

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but this conclusion...

"All told, the horrible injuries to Meredith Kercher were fully consistent with an assault by a strong man who swiftly overpowered her."

...is not the only one possible. Nor even more likely than others.

The forensic evidence could also suggest multiple assailants, with only one who used the murder weapon while others held Miss Kercher. Given the bruising on both elbows, and ruling out Miss Kercher being restrained by rope or other material as no evidence of this was found, it is unlikely a single assailant could have inflicted the trauma observed by restraining her.

Take into account the head of Miss Kercher was also held back by the hair (presumably to expose the throat to the weapon), and multiple assailants are almost certain to have been involved.

I am not suggesting that makes Knox or Sollecito guilty, nor do I rule out the possibility of a single assailant. I am simply saying the conclusions in the analysis posted do not reflect the most likely scenario imo.

Edited by Leonardo

I saw this news story when it was first posted yesterday, but I was too stunned and outraged to post. I was either speechless, or I was going on a rant like no other because when I perceive injustice, my blood boils.

I take it personally because what's happening to Knox and Sollecito can happen to anyone, anywhere, and no question about it, it happens here in the US despite that our judicial system is among the best judicial systems in the world.

The record of this case is actually very similar to that of the Cope case, a case out of North Carolina. For those not familiar with that case, Cope was convicted with a co-defendant in the sexual assault/murder of his (Cope's) daughter despite no evidence whatsoever of Cope's involvement in either crime, or that he was even acquainted with the co-defendant. The evidence- including DNA- pointed to one perp and only one perp and that's the co-defendant. (The case also included a false confession; later, DNA- among other things- told a different story.)

I still haven't been able to re-locate the news article, but the following was reported re: an appeal in that case. "In the first opinion, issued in April 2009, the court overturned a key jury finding of conspiracy between Cope and Sanders for lack of evidence but let stand a murder and criminal sexual conduct conviction against Cope. Then, realizing the murder and sexual charges against Cope could not stand without a finding that Cope conspired with Sanders, the Court of Appeals reversed itself and in October 2009 issued a new opinion, reinstating the conspiracy conviction."

So, in that case, the court "reversed itself". :unsure2:

In this case re: an earlier court opinion "In an official statement of their grounds for overturning the convictions, the judges wrote there was a 'material non-existence' of evidence to support the guilty verdicts, and that an association among Solletico, Knox and Guede to commit the murder was 'far from probable'."

So recent developments are that we now have a court opinion which completely contradicts an earlier court opinion. (Actually, it was two earlier opinions- no evidence against Knox and Sollecito, and their non association with Guede.)

Certainly, when there are two entirely opposing opinions re: evidence of guilt from two high courts, there's something very wrong with the judicial system.

http://en.wikipedia....eredith_Kercher

Edited by regi

This is the bit that astonished me:

According to the prosecution's reconstruction, Knox had attacked Kercher, repeatedly banged her head against a wall, forcefully held her face, tried to remove her clothes, cut her with a knife, inflicted the fatal stab wound, and then took her two mobile phones and faked a burglary. Guede's shoe prints, fingerprints, and DNA were found in the bedroom, his DNA was found on Kercher and her clothing, and his skin cells were inside her body. Guede's DNA mixed with Kercher's was in bloodstains on the inside of her shoulder bag. No shoe prints, clothing fibers, hairs, fingerprints, skin cells or DNA of Knox were found on Kercher or in the room. The prosecution alleged that all forensic traces in the bedroom which incriminated Knox had been wiped away by her and Sollecito. [My emphasis]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Meredith_Kercher#Prosecution

1. Despite the lack of evidence, the prosecution were able to place Knox at the crime scene and in graphic detail describe what she did.

2. The prosecution were able to claim that Knox and Sollecito were able to remove all evidence of their presence without showing any sign of disturbing all the evidence left by Guede. And,

3. The judges believed both these things.