Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

statistical makeup of the libertarians

spartan max2

Found these statistics, for anyone who is interest in this political stuff, and the libertarian oriented members here you guys should find it interesting. :tu: . It just shows how many people are libertarians, and the demographics, relation to the two parties, etc

http://publicreligio...-values-survey/

Heres the main parts for the lazy people

According to a newly developed Libertarian Orientation Scale, less than 1-in-10 (7%) Americans are consistent libertarians, and an additional 15% lean libertarian. At the other end of the spectrum, an equal number of Americans are consistent communalists (7%), and an additional 17% lean communalist. A majority (54%) of Americans have a mixed ideological profile, falling in between libertarian and communalist orientations.

Compared to the general population, libertarians are significantly more likely to be non-Hispanic white, male, and young. Nearly all libertarians are non-Hispanic whites (94%), more than two-thirds (68%) are men, and more than 6-in-10 (62%) are under the age of 50.

The party affiliation of libertarians skews significantly more Republican than Democratic. Close to half (45%) of libertarians identify as Republican, compared to only 5% who identify as Democrat. However, half of libertarians identify as politically independent (35%) or identify with a third political party (15%), including roughly 1-in-10 (8%) who identify with the Libertarian Party. Roughly 4-in-10 (39%) libertarians identify as part of the Tea Party movement, while 61% do not.

Libertarians make up a smaller proportion of the Republican Party than other key conservative groups. Only 12% of self-identified Republicans are libertarians, compared to 20% of Republicans who identify with the Tea Party, 33% who identify with the religious right or conservative Christian movement, and 37% who identify as white evangelical Protestant.

Libertarians also constitute a smaller proportion of the Tea Party movement than other core conservative groups. Aboutone-quarter (26%) of Americans who identify with the Tea Party movement are libertarians, compared to a majority (52%) who say they are a part of the religious right or conservative Christian movement, and 35% who identify as white evangelical Protestant.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

Interesting stats and demographics. Not exactly sure where I personally fit into that. My personal "Philosophy of Freedom" is unique and my own. I do support the Libertarian Party because it is the "closest" to my personal views, but I don't agree with them on every topic.

I believe we are over taxed...you cannot tax and spend your way to prosperity...it has NEVER worked.

I believe in freedom. You should be able to live however you want as long as your freedom does not do harm to or impose upon the freedoms of another human being.

I believe people should be free to make a living however they are best capable. I do not care what it is as long as it is within the boundaries of the above (do not hurt others against their will).

I believe greed and wealth hoarding is a mental illness.

I believe wealth envy is a mental illness.

I believe your body is yours and you should be free to put into it or remove from it...whatever you want. (For those that don't get it, I'm talking about drugs and abortions.)

I believe true free market capitalism is a good thing and is not the root of all our societal woes...because what we have right now is NOT free market capitalism...it is Crony Capitalism and that is just an inch away from Fascism (in my opinion).

So....not sure where I fit into the stats...but that is part of my "philosophy of freedom"...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

Heres the main parts for the lazy people

Thanks for keeping it real.

I wonder which "driving factors" send most libertarians into that fold. I get the philosophical viewpoint, but I think there's usually one restricted freedom that sends most libertarians "over the edge".

• Like 1

Interesting stats and demographics. Not exactly sure where I personally fit into that. My personal "Philosophy of Freedom" is unique and my own. I do support the Libertarian Party because it is the "closest" to my personal views, but I don't agree with them on every topic.

I believe we are over taxed...you cannot tax and spend your way to prosperity...it has NEVER worked.

I believe in freedom. You should be able to live however you want as long as your freedom does not do harm to or impose upon the freedoms of another human being.

I believe people should be free to make a living however they are best capable. I do not care what it is as long as it is within the boundaries of the above (do not hurt others against their will).

I believe greed and wealth hoarding is a mental illness.

I believe wealth envy is a mental illness.

I believe your body is yours and you should be free to put into it or remove from it...whatever you want. (For those that don't get it, I'm talking about drugs and abortions.)

I believe true free market capitalism is a good thing and is not the root of all our societal woes...because what we have right now is NOT free market capitalism...it is Crony Capitalism and that is just an inch away from Fascism (in my opinion).

So....not sure where I fit into the stats...but that is part of my "philosophy of freedom"...

I agree with everything you said here, accept the abortion thing. I think unborn children should have just as much a right to live as anyone. Especialy considering it was a lack of personal responcibility, which brought about the child to begin with. Though I do understand that man is quickly going backwards in regards to social evolution. So much to the point that our lack of love, and personal responcibility, has created this evil situation where its actualy better to rip these children from their mothers wombs, then for them to suffer any number of other horrific abuses. Whats worse, we encourage this de-evolution.

Anyhow, my political beliefs are really close to yours.

• Like 2

I agree with everything you said here, accept the abortion thing. I think unborn children should have just as much a right to live as anyone. Especialy considering it was a lack of personal responcibility, which brought about the child to begin with. Though I do understand that man is quickly going backwards in regards to social evolution. So much to the point that our lack of love, and personal responcibility, has created this evil situation where its actualy better to rip these children from their mothers wombs, then for them to suffer any number of other horrific abuses. Whats worse, we encourage this de-evolution.

Abortion is the one main issue that libertarians are split on.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I am glad to hear our views are close.

As far as the one thing we disagree on...I won't try to change your views and I would appreciate the same in return...I will, however add this.

Women can be faced with decisions that we men will never, ever have to make.

What if it is a pregnancy from a rape?

What if it is a pregnancy from a beloved partner or even a husband who...when learning of the pregnancy says "Screw you, I don't want kids, I am out of here"...never to be seen or heard from again? Zero chance of support...

This is why I don't think men should have an overwhelming voice in this sensitive issue. I believe the choice should be available but dealt with in caution and consideration...It should be between the woman, her family (possibly the father), her doctor and whatever God she might pray to...it is not my place to have a say in a complete strangers decision or options concerning this very difficult topic.

• Like 1