Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lockheed develops huge laser gun weapon

UM-Bot

The defense contractor has built and demonstrated a working 30-kilowatt laser weapon for military use.

Having been a staple of science fiction for years, the laser gun may soon be heading to real world battlefields thanks to Lockheed Martin's latest invention - a huge 30-kilowatt "weapons grade" laser capable of shooting down drones or enemy artillery.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...aser-gun-weapon

• Like 1

whats the aftermath like? does it go thru the target, melt it, explode it?

• Like 2

whats the aftermath like? does it go thru the target, melt it, explode it?

Well as a rough guess I would imagine it does some damage.

We need a weapon that vaporizes targets. Then there won't be any debris.

• Like 2

Good idea.

What if it misses, or during non-target tests, does it dissipate or is there going to be a deadly beam of light zipping through space forever until it contacts something? Go easy, I'm out of my element here.

• Like 1

Couldn't a laser beam be concentrated and sustained on a target until it does practically vaporize it? It's not like a bullet or missile.

What if it misses, or during non-target tests, does it dissipate or is there going to be a deadly beam of light zipping through space forever until it contacts something? Go easy, I'm out of my element here.

No beam can possibly be focused tightly enough that it won't dissipate. Indeed that is the problem with getting the things focused and energetic enough to actually do damage.
  • Like 1

I always thought of lasers as cutting instruments. In Star Trek it's phasers that vaporize. On Wikipedia this is the definition of "PHASOR"

pha·sor

[fey-zer] Show IPA

noun Physics.

a vector that represents a sinusoidally varying quantity, as a current or voltage, by means of a line rotating about a point in a plane, the magnitude of the quantity being proportional to the length of the line and the phase of the quantity being equal to the angle between the line and a reference line.

I wonder if they're the same, I'm out of my element, too

Edited by Hobbit Feet

Very impressive. The article said that production-level is going to take more time; that this was only a "proof of concept"

That sounds responsible.

Timely, since China supposedly has successfully tested a hypersonic nuclear missile. Perhaps these also should be deployed around major population centers just in case.

You could potentially destroy something in orbit (or even further) with something like this quite easily. They use lasers FAR less powerful than this to cut steel and even diamonds. I think 30kw is probably enough to turn things in to plasma. It doesn't matter what you shoot it at, anyone nearby will need some epic shades to stop them from being blinded :)

Edited by Finity

Couldn't a laser beam be concentrated and sustained on a target until it does practically vaporize it? It's not like a bullet or missile.

Example : The laser beams from Lunar Laser Ranging systems from earth arrive on the moons surface spreaded

up to approx 70km^2.

These types of things will hopefully make ballistic nuclear strikes a thing of the past. Keep it up i say.

Example : The laser beams from Lunar Laser Ranging systems from earth arrive on the moons surface spreaded

up to approx 70km^2.

So it spreads over distance. Makes sense but I bet that can be corrected someday and I'm sure that is far less of an issue considering targets will be far closer than the moon. I also realize that it takes enormous energy to fire one of these beams in question and it would take far more energy to sustain a large deadly beam on the whole of a large target for a long enough time to incinerate it into dust even if it's only a second or two but I believe in theory that's not out of the realm of future laser beam possibility and it's probably already a patented idea on the table.

Edited by F3SS