Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant jellyfish found on Australian beach

seeder

This looks really weird..

Mystery of the mind-boggling 'snot-fish' washed up in Australia

* Huge creature was found near Hobart, on the island of Tasmania

* Scientists know nothing about creature and are trying to classify it

* Specimen is 1.5 metres wide and may be related to the lion's mane jellyfish

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2552810/Mystery-jellyfish-washes-Tasmania.html#ixzz2sXTVMFbP

• Like 2

I just lerve the way the daily fail says "Scientists know nothing about the creature", when the article clearly states the opposite - it is simply a large specimen of a known type of jellyfish. In marine biology terms this is not even remotely unusual - we are constantly finding bigger examples of existing species, or variations and new sub-species. If you go to pretty much any region of the sea and use various size nets to catch everything from microscopic to huge, you will almost certainly find many species variations that have not yet been named or studied in great detail...

But it sounds cool I s'pose, and I think everyone is now sick to death of hearing the usual cliche - namely "..scientists are baffled..".

Me, I think it's clearly an alien, and Zoser is welcome to quote me.

(btw, I used to manage a marine research centre that is located right at the extreme left hand edge of that map..)

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

It's a jellyfish -

Scientists are working to classify a new species of "whopper" giant jellyfish that has been found on an Australian beach.

The 1.5-metre (4ft 11in) specimen was found by a family in the southern state of Tasmania, who then contacted a local marine biologist.

http://news.sky.com/story/1207574/giant-jellyfish-washes-up-in-australia

• Like 2

It's the queen jellyfish from Spongebob!

• Like 2

Whatever it is, if found in Scotland it would now be in a soup pot not on the news. (lol)

• Like 5

Holy #$%@

• Like 2

Dang. That's one big jellyfish.

• Like 2

And what does a jelly that size eat...? (Serious question, not a joke. ^-^)

• Like 1

Jelly Beans. Same as everyone else. (lol)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

anything thats unlucky Id expect.. :lol:

• Like 2

Depending on the toxicity of its sting; whatever it can overpower. Some box jellies are so toxic that when a fish is stung it dies very rapidly and they have been known to kill humans in less than five minutes (depending on the severity of the sting), some other jellies have relatively mild stings that cannot even be felt on human skin. The more potent the sting, the larger the prey likely taken. The scientists seem to indicate this was not a particularly dangerous sting, so it may feed on small planktonic creatures, they really don't seem to know a lot about this animal yet.

Yep, what Sundew said - depends on the species.. Some use their stinging ability (which not all have..) to kill prey like fish, which they then slowly digest. However, their main diet is probably just zooplankton - tiny litte creatures that are abundant in the sea, and they just get trapped in the jellyfish's tentacles or body as it floats along..

An interesting factoid - not this one, but some jellyfish species are thought to be immortal, either by regenerating and re-starting their entire life cycle asexually or others appear to have no aging process - so only die by predation or starvation..

Hope and Sanity.

• Like 2

Whatever it is, if found in Scotland it would now be in a soup pot not on the news. (lol)

Just like here in Louisiana, we eat damn near everything.
  • Like 1

Hahahah... It sounds like the jelly eats everything according to everyone on here...

• Like 1