Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Female Fugitive Found 37 Years After Escape

Still Waters

A 60-year-old woman who escaped from a Michigan prison 37 years ago has been captured in San Diego.

Judy Lynn Hayman made her flight from justice in 1977 after serving eight months for attempting to steal clothes from a Detroit-area store.

http://news.sky.com/...rs-after-escape

• Like 1

She was serving 2yrs at most but escapes after already doing 8months. Stupid Stupid Stupid

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...years-1.2525254

And proves to me yet again what my grandpa told me is correct. The police NEVER stop looking for you if you pee them off.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Poor son, it must have been some shock for him, he was born 5 years after her escape.....makes you wonder how a criminal on the run can give birth in a hospital.....unless she did NOT.

Rightly so though, she will be sent back to finish the remaining time plus possibly added time..was it really worth it? No.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

2 yrs for trying to theif some cloths? Geeez!

• Like 1

She was serving 2yrs at most but escapes after already doing 8months. Stupid Stupid Stupid

I can't say I blame her for running off, still she didn't have a great deal of time left to go before being legally free. I hope they're not too harsh with her, it was a long time ago, she was stupid to try and steal but she didn't harm anyone.

• Like 4

2 yrs for trying to theif some cloths? Geeez!

That does seem harsh, but would take a guess it was not her 1st offence and without knowing the details of the original case it is difficult to say......maybe she hurt someone, but this is just speculation.....but there has to be more than a simple one of theft to get 2 years.

• Like 2

I can't say I blame her for running off, still she didn't have a great deal of time left to go before being legally free. I hope they're not too harsh with her, it was a long time ago, she was stupid to try and steal but she didn't harm anyone.

I feel a little sorry for her too, what she did back then was done in the stupidity of youth, unless she had a continuous record from then on I think they should show some leniency. However, the escaping from prison is the worst of the two crimes.

• Like 1

However, the escaping from prison is the worst of the two crimes.

Yes, that's not helping her any. 37 years of freedom is a long time to suddenly find yourself looking at the prospect of going back to prison, I wouldn't like to be in her shoes.

• Like 1

That does seem harsh, but would take a guess it was not her 1st offence and without knowing the details of the original case it is difficult to say......maybe she hurt someone, but this is just speculation.....but there has to be more than a simple one of theft to get 2 years.

After reading this part, it does look like she might have been in trouble before.

Hayman, using aliases, apparently had been arrested and fingerprinted in the past and the San Diego police "were familiar with her," said Michigan Corrections Department spokesman Russ Marlan.

San Diego Lt. Mayer declined to give further details about the case, including whether Hayman had prior arrests or contact with police in California.

I feel a little sorry for her too, what she did back then was done in the stupidity of youth, unless she had a continuous record from then on I think they should show some leniency. However, the escaping from prison is the worst of the two crimes.

'Two wrongs don't make a right' (and more that two crimes committed). She should at least finish her original sentence and some time for the escape.

Edited by scorpiosonic