Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2014 Sochi Olympic Stories

Likely Guy

I'll start on a nationalistic level. Canada claimed a gold, silver and bronze today. Our best start ever.

But this was a good first day story;

"Sisters claim Canada's first gold, silver medals in Sochi

-

SOCHI— Sisters from Montreal have scored the first gold and silver medals for Canada in the Sochi Winter Olympics 2014.

Justine Dufour-Lapointe was awarded the gold medal in women’s moguls, today, and her sister Chloe took the silver in the same event.

Justine finished first with a score of 22.44 while Chloe was second with 21.66 points.

Defending champion Hannah Kearney of the U.S., was third at 21.49.

A third Dufour-Lapoint sister, Maxime, failed to make the final..."

Source: http://www.bramptonguardian.com/sports-story/4358714-sisters-claim-canada-s-first-gold-silver-medals-in-sochi/

It was also the first time three sisters (maybe even siblings) ever competed together at the Olympics.

• Like 5

Canada normally destorys at the winter olympics

• Like 4

I'll start on a nationalistic level. Canada claimed a gold, silver and bronze today. Our best start ever.

But this was a good first day story;

"Sisters claim Canada's first gold, silver medals in Sochi

-

SOCHI— Sisters from Montreal have scored the first gold and silver medals for Canada in the Sochi Winter Olympics 2014.

Justine Dufour-Lapointe was awarded the gold medal in women's moguls, today, and her sister Chloe took the silver in the same event.

Justine finished first with a score of 22.44 while Chloe was second with 21.66 points.

Defending champion Hannah Kearney of the U.S., was third at 21.49.

A third Dufour-Lapoint sister, Maxime, failed to make the final..."

Source: http://www.bramptong...edals-in-sochi/

It was also the first time three sisters (maybe even siblings) ever competed together at the Olympics.

EXCELLENT! Imagine, 2 sisters side by side on the dais taking the top two medals in the same event! Way to go, Canada!
  • Like 3

Canada normally destorys at the winter olympics

Um, no. In 1988 at Calgary as a host country we failed to win gold... and at Montreal (summer though) in 1976. The only country to host both events and not win a gold. In the winter Olympics it was only 10 years ago at Lillehammer when we ever broke 10 medals total or more.

Edit: So, three on opening day is pretty cool for us. :)

2nd edit: Just heard Justine Dufour-Lapointe interviewed on the radio. What a bundle of energy.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Um, no. In 1988 at Calgary as a host country we failed to win gold... and at Montreal (summer though) in 1976. The only country to host both events and not win a gold. In the winter Olympics it was only 10 years ago at Lillehammer when we ever broke 10 medals total or more.

Edit: So, three on opening day is pretty cool for us.

And hopefully many more to come. Its kind of unfortunate when 2 or 3 countries seem to dominate, so anytime others come in and spice things up, I'm all for it.

And hopefully many more to come. Its kind of unfortunate when 2 or 3 countries seem to dominate, so anytime others come in and spice things up, I'm all for it.

Pound for pound, I'm sure that Norway kicks everyone's butt.

Canada, population: 35 million

Canada, Winter Olympic medal total: 148

Norway, population: 5 million

Norway, Winter Olympic medal total: 303

By comparison, the USA has won a total of 253.

I like these girls! Great job! I haven't watched my recordings today yet, but I watched them the first day?

What a body rattling/beating sport, too. At least that is what is looked like to me.

I believe they mentioned three bobsled? brothers who competed some time ago. I know there were three brothers but their event(s) I'm not sure about.

• Like 2

Pound for pound, I'm sure that Norway kicks everyone's butt.

Canada, population: 35 million

Canada, Winter Olympic medal total: 148

Norway, population: 5 million

Norway, Winter Olympic medal total: 303

By comparison, the USA has won a total of 253.

That's probably because everyday things in Norway are pretty much Olympic events in there own right.

Ignorant statement of the week: Norway's hardcore, Sweden's beautiful, Finland has great metal.

• Like 4

Sage Kotsenburg, the kid from Couer d'Alene, was amazing and the Canadian, Mark McMorris was as well with a broken rib.

Hey Deco, Norwegian Staale Sandbech won silver! They're winter maniacs.

All in all, it's such an amazing event to watch.

• Like 1

A reporter talked to Mark McMorris after the event ended. To break ribs two weeks ago and go out and do what he did, he deserves to be on that podium. I also saw a Norwegian win the gold today in the men's biathlon. Forty years old and his 7th Olympic medal.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/08/sochi-olympics-mens-biathlon-10k-sprint-results-norways-ole-einar-bjoerndalen-wins-gold/#!uUhhW

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

...I also saw a Norwegian win the gold today in the men's biathlon. Forty years old and his 7th Olympic medal.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/08/sochi-olympics-mens-biathlon-10k-sprint-results-norways-ole-einar-bjoerndalen-wins-gold/#!uUhhW

Ole Einar Bjoerndalen (the geriatric at 40) Olympian is my new hero. Could you imagine X-country skiing and then trying to settle your heart rate to shoot quickly and accurately?

• Like 1

Its easy to get caught up in how many medals are won and by which country and rightly so its the marker by which we judge., but i like the whole spectacle, even the under dogs, who have strived for at least four years to represent their country, in most circumstances with little funding and/or with second rate facilities.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

Sochi 2014: Jenny Jones wins historic British slopestyle bronze

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/26056289

well done Jenny. hopefully a few more medals follow. :clap:

Keith, its good to see Jamaica is back, cool runnings sequel, Ya mon, :w00t:

• Like 1

Its easy to get caught up in how many medals are won and by which country and rightly so its the marker by which we judge., but i like the whole spectacle, even the under dogs, who have strived for at least four years to represent their country, in most circumstances with little funding and/or with second rate facilities.

I will never forget watching this guy. Eddy was the bomb. Canada fell in love with him in 1988. I loved being a part of it. I got married at the top of this jump years ago lol.

• Like 2

If there ever was an example of backing the underdog it was Eddie 'the eagle'

• Like 1

Another amazing injury comeback story. Cologna is the only Swiss skier to win gold in a crosscountry skiing race. In fact, he has the only 2 won by the Swiss. He had ankle surgery in November and was wearing a boot 2 months ago.

http://abcnews.go.co...ympics-22430285

The Russians are contesting the bronze medal. It was given to Norway but the Russians are saying that their skier was deliberately cut off as they approached the finish line.

Watching the women skiers now and having seen the men race, I can't help but be impressed by the stamina these racers show. They all fall on their stomachs after they cross the finish line, they are that exhausted.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Here's an inspirational story. I think it's this thread that needs some revitalization. Where are you Likely Guy?

http://www.nbcolympi...n-older-brother

Just watched it on TV. Bilodeau won the gold. First skier to ever defend his medal in freestyle skiing.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1