Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Can we erase memories entirely?

11 posts in this topic

Most of us have terrible moments we'd rather forget, but if you could wipe parts of your memory entirely would you do it?

It's no longer just in the realms of science fiction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26088319

1 person likes this

I think this is (generally speaking) a bad idea. Who you are is a function of what you've experienced. Some of my worst experiences have taught me compassion that I might not otherwise have. In order to appreciate joy one has to have known sorrow. Life isn't supposed to be devoid of any painful experiences. In many cases it's through adversity that we learn and grow.

5 people like this

Being able to selectively erase memories is the first step to the government being able to rewrite them.

1 person likes this

yes there are memory's from the past That I would consider having erased, however my fear would be that someone ( some fallible human) would slip and erase some good memory. examples being that thirty two scoop bowl of Ice cream on my 12th birthday. Or my best buddy ( Mr. Magee) to the left sitting at the table waiting for his treat while we snap pictures of him, or the first salmon I ever caught........ so I would most likely never have my mind/memory voluntarily erased.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

I wouldn't do it.. My memories, good and bad, make me who I am.

1 person likes this

I would not erase my memories. What we experience and sometimes suffer through is essential for our growth and development. We need to know some sort of pain to be happy. We need to know life's ups and downs so that we can continue. If we had a way to float through life untouched by memories of pain, sorrow, grief, whatever, then it is a life wasted, because you don't grow without those.

And just personally, my worst times are awful memories that bring pain whenever I think about them, they are memories I'd like to erase, but I never would. Often times afterwards there was some feeling of inner growth or of strength after fighting through and learning to deal with the event and the memory.

Really, if we didn't have memories of the bad, the minute something bad happens we won't know how to cope or deal. It's just a part of the human journey to experience pain and hurt, and learn to get through it.

"This tells who they are... & where they came from." We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Phillip K. Dick.

i dont think i would get rid of any of my memories, unless i can select the useless and get rid of it. i think a murderer or pedophile should have memories of the crimes taken away from them. The question is would we still put a person in prison if behavior can be controlled and the root of evil forgotten.

i dont think i would get rid of any of my memories, unless i can select the useless and get rid of it. i think a murderer or pedophile should have memories of the crimes taken away from them. The question is would we still put a person in prison if behavior can be controlled and the root of evil forgotten.

In many cases, such violent individuals are not troubled by the acts they commit on others, but the acts that were committed on them - often as children. However, these memories are repressed and so locating them to be "zapped" would prove problematic.

Removing the memories of their crimes would not help rehabilitate them.

Edited by Leonardo

Once bitten, twice shy bitten.

1 person likes this

According to my ex-wife I already have the ability to do this.

1 person likes this