Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Armed Banana Quizzed by Cops!

Eldorado

"Beaumont police were called to Golden Triangle Tactical Saturday morning after complaints that a man dressed as a banana was seen holding an AK-47 outside the store near Eastex Freeway and Highway 105.

Store owner, Derek Poe, tells 12News Saturday is the store's grand opening after moving locations from Parkdale Mall.

Poe says the man in the banana suit was holding an AK-47 across his back with the barrel pointing down and holding a sign with an arrow pointing toward the store. He said this idea was to attract customers to the store.

Beaumont police say officers temporarily detained the 18-year-old and found he had the rifle with a drum magazine attached with at least a 50-round capacity."

Source: http://www.12newsnow.com/story/24670784/police

I would dearly love to see cops giving chase on foot to a banana. Who would slip on the skin first?

• Like 3

Sounds like a funny 3 Stooges type gag... lol

• Like 3

Why was this kid packing so much heat? Was he concerned that people might jump him and try to bake him into a giant loaf of banana bread?

• Like 6

Why was this kid packing so much heat? Was he concerned that people might jump him and try to bake him into a giant loaf of banana bread?

He was scared. It's well known bananas are yellow.

• Like 9

Isn't open carry legal in Texas? And how come people are scared by that? By a tool?

Folks were concerned he might be some kind of fruitcake?

• Like 6

Oh come on people!... If you can't trust a giant walking banana with a semi-automatic weapon - who can you trust?...

• Like 8

Well, article didn't say the gun was actually loaded. And the whole thing just makes me laugh. I have to imagine that could be sort of a traffic hazard- I would probably rubber neck and think "WTF? Was that a banana with a gun?".

• Like 3

Your country's gun laws are really too lenient.

Officers temporarily detained the 18-year-old and found he had the rifle with a drum magazine attached with at least a 50-round capacity. His gun was seized and he was later charged with disorderly conduct.

In my country, if you were to do this, you would get at least 12 strokes of the whip and at least 10 years in prison. We got no gun violence here.

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 2

*removes Singapore from my 'places to visit while dressed as a banana' list*

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 7

Your country's gun laws are really too lenient.

In my country, if you were to do this, you would get at least 12 strokes of the whip and at least 10 years in prison. We got no gun violence here.

Sounds like you aren't well acquainted with freedoms either.
  • Like 2

Freedom to carry a gun or freedom to walk in public without fear of being gunned down or hit by a stray bullet, I would choose the latter.

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 2

We are an oasis of peace, prosperity, progress and harmony in a region crippled by chaos, terrorism and infighting because of our extremely strict gun and drug trafficking laws. What are you people afraid of anyway that you need to carry guns in a modern city in a first-world country with the biggest and most powerful military in the world? Does a country need a militia that kills more of its own civilians in gun violence than any enemy nation has done in the past 50 years on its very own soil? You speak of freedom. We sacrifice the freedom to carry guns because we don't need them.

A nation where its civilians feel the need to arm themselves is a nation which does not trust its own law enforcement and military. Perhaps that explains why so many wild and absurd conspiracy theories arise in the USA. It seems there is a great distrust in your own government.

Edited by Ashyne

Singapore VS America Crime Stats

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Singapore/United-States/Crime

Singapore%26USA%5BCrimeStats%5D.jpg

Of note:

USA has 547 times more murders committed by youths than Singapore with roughly equal percentage of police officers.

Is this the "free" country you advertise yourself to be?

True freedom is freedom from fear, not freedom to carry a gun.

Edited by Ashyne

Apparently I inadvertently touched a nerve. I actually wasn't overly concerned about the gun issue, friend. I was more thinking of the public shaming and humiliation of being beaten like a dog with a strip of cane - in front of the public square. The Russians and WWII Germans had low crime rates as well.

• Like 2

Apparently I inadvertently touched a nerve. I actually wasn't overly concerned about the gun issue, friend. I was more thinking of the public shaming and humiliation of being beaten like a dog with a strip of cane - in front of the public square. The Russians and WWII Germans had low crime rates as well.

Our corporal punishments are never public and there is no shaming or humiliation. We use moderate physical pain (carefully administered) as deterrence which is proven more effective than paying a fine.

Well this topic has gotten has gotten heavier than my aunt Carol's quickbreads. Perhaps folks in the U.S. are a bit too slaphappy when it comes to an article like this because.. welllll.... Banana with a gun is just funny. Because we do have a rather open gun culture in general and so a gun in banana context can be found amusing. Because hell, busting a banana for kind of anything is pretty funny.

Yes, guns are a serious topic... But imagine a guy dressed up as a banana with some other utterly incongruousness(sp?) object with the obligatory arrow to the store..

Banana with a sheep strapped to his back promoting the crazy new hair salon. Or lol great 80's dressed as a giant banana clip hair clip with kind of anything strapped onto the persons back. Gall dang it right now I wish I had even the most basic photoshop skills to produce that image, lol.

I do have to wonder though what different elements could have brought to this news scenario. If he was dressed like a gun wearing a sandwich board, or dressed as a banana holding a cardboard sign in the shape of a gun to point to the store?

• Like 2

Our corporal punishments are never public and there is no shaming or humiliation. We use moderate physical pain (carefully administered) as deterrence which is proven more effective than paying a fine.

Were such whippings EVER public? I ask because I seem to remember (possibly I MIS-remember) that a US citizen was subjected to such punishment publicly for graffiti vandalism a few years back... If I am wrong about that then my apologies for spreading mis-information.
  • Like 2

hm, maybe he was thinking it's NOT illegal to carry a 50 shot clip .. If your a banana?

• Like 1

This is a rather interesting experiment in how we as humans perceive novelty to include cultural and learned memory. To see a human dressed as a banana in the described setting is somewhat novel for some of us, yet poses an unlikely threat based on prior memory. Indeed, this would be considered highly amusing to most of us and evoke that reaction. To see a non-uniformed human standing in the described setting with a gun is novel for most of us, and poses a potential threat based on prior memory. This would likely cause an avoidance reaction. To see an armed banana poses novelty with conflicting memory, but the initial response would defer to threat. To discuss these reactions post incident allows us the opportunity to reference learned and cultural memory so as to establish a future response. And, it is quite interesting to read how we of differing cultures, backgrounds, and learned memories come to resolution regarding the incident.

• Like 1