Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Am I Hallucinating?

Davros of Skaro

Now that you are here, watch a video. :-*

• Like 1

Guess that means all spirits, shadow people, demons, and angels experiences are hallucinations. Guess the tulpa phenomenon is legit.

• Like 2

Guess that means all spirits, shadow people, demons, and angels experiences are hallucinations. Guess the tulpa phenomenon is legit.

I am just saying the most logical answer should be looked at first, before the habits of the past as a default position.

• Like 2

Here is a good example from my own experience.

I like to go on long nightly walks.A couple of months ago I was walking, and I saw a red dot of light flash in someones yard near a Tree.I know I saw this light, and I waited for 10 minutes with no further confirmation.I am not in the habit of hallucinating, but stored it away as one.

Just a couple nights ago I saw the same light, and I waited.Within a minute the ligt flashed again.Turns out someone has a fake security camera mounted in their yard with a flashing LED.When I first saw it the battery was probably near dead, and now flashes regularly with new batteries.

The thing is I did not go around talking about red evil orbs in the woods, and building up a myth.I waited till I had further evidence.

• Like 3

Here is a good example from my own experience.

I like to go on long nightly walks.A couple of months ago I was walking, and I saw a red dot of light flash in someones yard near a Tree.I know I saw this light, and I waited for 10 minutes with no further confirmation.I am not in the habit of hallucinating, but stored it away as one.

Just a couple nights ago I saw the same light, and I waited.Within a minute the ligt flashed again.Turns out someone has a fake security camera mounted in their yard with a flashing LED.When I first saw it the battery was probably near dead, and now flashes regularly with new batteries.

The thing is I did not go around talking about red evil orbs in the woods, and building up a myth.I waited till I had further evidence.

My wife is a social bee and she been talking to our neighbor about paranormal things (She is a solid believer). The neighbour claimed the school down the road is haunted. Her reasoning is you can hear the sounds of swings moving and hear kids laughter. My wife told me this and me being the guy who never heard this and went and walked my dog and stood next to the play set. I did this every night when I walked my dog until one Friday I heard it. Near by is a cowfarm and there is a water pump that makes a metallic crank noise when they give water to their cows. The sound travels and get distorted over the distance. I then heard the kids 10 minutes later, across the field there are a bunch of houses with brick fences that can't be seen. I walked over and verified both sound sources.

My conclusion is, If i didn't investigate the source of the noises, I took could of said I heard ghost kids play.

• Like 3

My wife is a social bee and she been talking to our neighbor about paranormal things (She is a solid believer). The neighbour claimed the school down the road is haunted. Her reasoning is you can hear the sounds of swings moving and hear kids laughter. My wife told me this and me being the guy who never heard this and went and walked my dog and stood next to the play set. I did this every night when I walked my dog until one Friday I heard it. Near by is a cowfarm and there is a water pump that makes a metallic crank noise when they give water to their cows. The sound travels and get distorted over the distance. I then heard the kids 10 minutes later, across the field there are a bunch of houses with brick fences that can't be seen. I walked over and verified both sound sources.

My conclusion is, If i didn't investigate the source of the noises, I took could of said I heard ghost kids play.

Yep.Reminds me of the time I was walking at night in Rhode Island.I was walking the sidewalk next to a huge, and old cemetary when I heard what sounded like kids playing in it.I stopped, looked around, and then I noticed kids playing in the backyard of a house in the distance.With little Trees, and Tombstones to bounce off of the sound had an eerie affect.

I seen a video (Arthur C Clarks Mysterious World if I remember right) that a cemetary with victims of a Circus train accident was buried in was haunted with Animal noises.A Cop was talking about one time he pulled in the cemetary, and heard the noises.Then he realized there was a Zoo a couple of miles away, and was the source of the noise.

• Like 2

I am just saying the most logical answer should be looked at first, before the habits of the past as a default position.

How did/do you decide what is the most "logical" answer, without allowing your "habits of past thinking" to influence your decision?

One initiation into final year of school before university involved walking alone into a cemetery to investigate a ghost in the centre of it. Many peole wouldn't even go there because of their fear of cemeteries and ghosts.

The story was that a glowing light appeared in the middle of the cemetery but disappeared when you approached it. Well being fearless and non superstitious It didn't bother me. As the initiators watched on, I got out of my car and entered the cemetery Sure enough there was a glowing presence in the centre of the cemetery. Guessing it was another student with a torch I walked up to it. But as I got closer the light faded and disappeared.

It was a full moonlit night. I could see the scene well, and no one was there. I investigated closer and there was no torch rigged up or anything. I walked away from the area and looked back. The light/glow had reappeared. I approached more carefully and realised that there was a grave stone actually giving out a substantial glow in the dark. I decided that some property in the stone either stored or reflected the moonlight, but that. as one got closer this became less visible and disappeared. (MAny possible explanations occurred to me, including luminescent " radiation" from the granite headstone and angles of incidence of the moonlight, but none certain)

Anyway I turned round and walked out having passed the test . Probably like some before me, I pretended to be amazed and agreed that the cemetery was indeed "haunted ", thus perpetuating the story and initiation for the next year's senior students

. I tell about this ghost,to my own students in a neighbouring town forty five years later, and dare them to go and investigate for them selves if they do not believe me. It has (of course) to be on a moonlit night and anyone brave enough to check it out will work it out. So far no one has given away the secret.

Edited by Mr Walker

How did/do you decide what is the most "logical" answer, without allowing your "habits of past thinking" to influence your decision?

You look for the most common, most undane explanations first. Only after you have eliminated those do you go on to the more esoteric ones. The simplest explanation stands the best chance of being the right one.

Doug

• Like 3

log-i-cal

adjective

1. Of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument

Therefore, the most logical, would be the one most inline with the rules of logic. It's a fairly straightforward definition.

Edited by Hideout
  • Like 3

You look for the most common, most undane explanations first. Only after you have eliminated those do you go on to the more esoteric ones. The simplest explanation stands the best chance of being the right one.

Doug

So when you are shown the first carcase of a platypus you decide it is a fake?

I'd look for the most logical answer, but not the most mundane or common one. By definition, anything new or unusual is not going to be common or mundane.

log-i-cal

adjective

1. Of or according to the rules of logic or formal argument

Therefore, the most logical, would be the one most inline with the rules of logic. It's a fairly straightforward definition.

Not so. Logic requires a starting point, proposition, or hypothesis to work from.If one allows the 'habits of pas tthinking" to set this proposition, then one will not necessarily arrive at the correct answer. I am not disputing the need for logic, just how much we allow personal experience and prior knowledge to define how we USE logic. Eg just because I know goannas do not exist in my area, is no reason to deny the evidence of my eyes, when I see a two meter long one inmy back yard. logically it shpuld not bee there but it is. Turns out they had been secretly released into the area to establish breeding colonies. and one wandered into our yard to eat some chook eggs We lived on a farm 30 kilometres from the nearest town. Now i knew that goannas had not existed in our area for over a humdred years. If I had allowed that knowledge to dominate my logic, I would have decided I was hallucinating. I was missing a critical piece of evidence to apply logic to find the correct answer.

So when you are shown the first carcase of a platypus you decide it is a fake?

I'd look for the most logical answer, but not the most mundane or common one. By definition, anything new or unusual is not going to be common or mundane.

When P.T. Barnum put a platypus on display at one of his circuses, people thought it WAS a fake. You rule out the mundane and common answers first, before you decide it's something new or unusual. Just like you'd do with a platypus - unless you'd rather conclude that is was a rhinoceros.

Logic must be applied to the facts available. You gather whatever you can and then find the simplest answer that fits the facts.

Doug

When P.T. Barnum put a platypus on display at one of his circuses, people thought it WAS a fake. You rule out the mundane and common answers first, before you decide it's something new or unusual. Just like you'd do with a platypus - unless you'd rather conclude that is was a rhinoceros.

Logic must be applied to the facts available. You gather whatever you can and then find the simplest answer that fits the facts.

Doug

That was my point. I have been using the platypus as an example for years The scientists in Britain also claimed it had to be a fake because it did not fit into any of the known taxonomies of their world. They ruled out the possibility it was real, and hence deduced it had to be a fake. Logical, but leading to a totally false conclusion, and hence a wrong approach. An open minded scientist would have accepted that he did not know everything, especially about animals from the other side of the world, and worked from that starting point.

That was my point. I have been using the platypus as an example for years The scientists in Britain also claimed it had to be a fake because it did not fit into any of the known taxonomies of their world. They ruled out the possibility it was real, and hence deduced it had to be a fake. Logical, but leading to a totally false conclusion, and hence a wrong approach. An open minded scientist would have accepted that he did not know everything, especially about animals from the other side of the world, and worked from that starting point.

They didn't obtain enough facts first. A physical examination of the specimen would have revealed that lack of sutures. Again, the best answer is usually simplest one - and that IS USUALLY also the most "logical;" although, I question whether logic really applies here.

Doug

Well I was never like these two guys in these two videos for one.

• Like 1