Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Ohelemapit

Is this the world's most absurd chair ramp

12 posts in this topic

• West Dunbartonshire Council spent £40,000 building a 10-level ramp to allow seven-year-old Katie Lally to get home
  • Katie suffers from bulbar palsy - caused by complications after being born prematurely and is confined to a wheelchair
  • But council placed Katie and her family in a property that could only be accessed by climbing three flights of stairs
  • After two years of campaigning, the council finally agreed to build huge steel ramp in the Lally family's front garden
  • But nobody expected it to be split over 10 levels and to be so large that it has taken over almost the entire garden
  • Local youths now use ramp to skateboard but the council claim health and safety rules prevent them installing a gate

arrow3.gifView: Read more

1 person likes this

Well the only upside I can see on this is that the daily excersise for the girl will be done by the time she gets home. apart from that its ridicoulus lol. why not just a straight ramp or one or 2 bends to go against the height difference?

Wouldn't an elevator have been more practical?.. And less expensive...

1 person likes this

Moving them to a more practical house would have been too easy, This way they waste time and money, British councils seem to excel at that.

I'm sure it's done a lot for the little girls confidence too, Drawing attention to her disability like that. And I'm sure the whole family enjoys the skateboarders, Who wouldn't want a bunch of noisy kids outside their house day after day after day?

3 people like this

The family could get a couple 2x4s and some plywood and quickly make a few temporary ramps they could put over the existing steps on that walkway.

This is all just ridiculous.

Read my mind!

1 person likes this

Dig out steps to back /side door into a gentle slope....then one of these...ten grand tops.But you can't expect public officials to think like that.

2mgqir4.jpg

2 people like this

Dig out steps to back /side door into a gentle slope....then one of these...ten grand tops.But you can't expect public officials to think like that.

2mgqir4.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking about...

Stupid is as stupid does....and for some reason it's always the taxpaying citizens who suffer.

1 person likes this

What were they thinking?

Wait..

1 person likes this

Nothing against skateboarding, but when it's done on your front doorstep, you might go a bit mental. All they did was build a skate ramp in their front garden. Nuts. I see at least 5 ways or more this could have been done differently. Ever heard that the quickest point between 2 spaces is a straight line? Not a freaking skate park. Sheesh.

3 people like this

Common sense is a rare trait.

1 person likes this