Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The right to die - discussion.

Sean93

Hi.

As of late I've been thinking about Euthanasia and the right to die for people suffering and why it's forbidden in most places in the world.

For me I think it should be the right of every man and woman to die when they choose to but most of all, when they're suffering so much staying alive becomes a means of - as Walter White says - 'Just marking time*'.

I know that people's religions, personal beliefs and ethics as well as experiences all play a part in their decisions and opinions on such a discussion so if you'll indulge me, I'd like to hear your view points on why you do or do not support Euthanasia and hopefully we can all have a good discussion about it.

*These doctors...talking about surviving. One year, two years, like it's the only thing that matters. But what good is it, to just survive if I am too sick to work, to enjoy a meal, to make love? For what time I have left, I want to live in my own house. I want to sleep in my own bed. I don't wanna choke down 30 or 40 pills every single day, lose my hair, and lie around too tired to get up...and so nauseated that I can't even move my head. And you cleaning up after me? Me, with...some dead man, some artificially alive...just marking time? No. No. And that's how you would remember me. That's the worst part. So...that is my thought process, Skyler. I'm sorry. I just...I choose not to do it.

Walter may not be talking about Euthanasia specifically but he is talking about ending life on his terms refusing to go through with treatment that would only leave him as a shell of his former self and to die with dignity.

• Like 2

It should be acceptable unless the person is obviously suffering from depression. In severe illnesses it should be up to the individual. Of course, a special councelor should be appointed in the cases of people with wealth. Influences of narcissistic family members can be a mitigating factor.

It should be acceptable unless the person is obviously suffering from depression. In severe illnesses it should be up to the individual. Of course, a special councelor should be appointed in the cases of people with wealth. Influences of narcissistic family members can be a mitigating factor.

I would argue that even people who suffer from depression should be allowed to make the choice themselves. It is our life.

If your sad and depressed for years on end and decide you want to die , why should you not be allowed to die simply because you suffer from being sad and depressed?

We could use your same logic and argue that people with serve illnesses should not be able to make that choice either because they are busy suffering from a serve illness making them sad, depressed and in pain.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

I would argue that even people who suffer from depression should be allowed to make the choice themselves. It is our life.

If your sad and depressed for years on end and decide you want to die , why should you not be allowed to die simply because you suffer from being sad and depressed?

We could use your same logic and argue that people with serve illnesses should not be able to make that choice either because they are busy suffering from a serve illness making them sad, depressed and in pain.

I hear you. But there are some simple chemical processes that can have remedies. It's not always cut and dry and people can be very happy once chemistry is set in balance. It dosnt matter much. I'm of the belief that a person who really wants to end their life, will find a way to do it. You cannot stop a committed person. Human beings are to fragile.

IMO as long as you are of sound mind, you have a right to do anything you want with you body as long as you know and understand the consequences.

• Like 1

Depression is where it can get tricky. If someone hasn't sought help for it they'd do well to do just that to see if they can quell their suffering. If after treatment they still suffer from it and wish to end themselves then I see no problem with that - no one should have to suffer every waking moment of their lives.

I know the religious minded may say that suffering brings you closer to god and that it builds spiritual strength and all that but that's very easy to say when you're content in life isn't it?

• Like 4

We will put a suffering pet down, but force extend human suffering.

The Theist will put forth that people do not own their own life to take, but says so based on no evidence.

Some people do not want to take drugs for depression, just like some people want to take drugs for various reasons.

I feel everyone has the right to their own life, as long as it does not infringe on others rights, and freedoms.If one brings a life in this world, then make sure that life is taken care of.

There is a rather cheap, readily available, mess free (except decomposition), and painless method for one to end their own life without any medical help.

In my opinion people with a high risk genetic disorder wether it affects the body, or mind should think twice before passing on those Genes.If one is alarmed by this thought, then I suggest a study in natural, and artificial selection is in order.

Edward Tarte does not want to share in the passion of Jesus.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 2

Depression and mental illness should not ever be included in the assisted suicide debate. Euthanasia is defined as the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.

This thread is closed for moderator review.

• Like 2