Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange sound anomaly

Iceharvest

I noticed this recently and I don't think it is a typical ghost haunting. I was laying in bed getting ready to go to bed and I started to hear the muffled sounds of voices. I live alone in the country so I was a bit spooked. For a moment I thought that I left the radio on in the basement. I got up and went down and it was off. I returned to bed and started back to sleep and started to hear the sounds again. I couldn't make out the words but thought the voices sounded familiar. I could only hear the sounds when the furnace was running. Then last night I was in bed, the house was quiet and I heard a sound coming from the corner of my room. It sounded like something falling into waste basket. I remember earlier in the day that I had tossed a little glass jar into it. I think the voices might have been my family and friends who were at my house watching a basketball game. I'm trying it figure what is going on. The only thing that I can think is that whenever my furnace is running during the day it somehow captures the sound and I can hear some of it at night while it is running. Is there any scientific explanation for this?

• Like 1

Scientific? Audio pareidolia. Sometimes people hear stuff in random noise like hearing a fan singing, or the rumble of a furnace sounding like conversation. Especially when you are near sleepstate.

• Like 2

Welcome Ice Harvest.

You say this is 'not a typical haunting', have you experienced what you'd say are 'typical' hauntings in the same house before?

From personal experience, I can tell you, when it's too quiet, I can sometimes hear very faint 'chatter' that feels like it's happening right inside my house, but it comes from the house downstairs, and it's sometimes not chatter at all, just sounds of fans and other devices. This is just from personal experience, I can't tell you exactly what's happening in your case.

• Like 2

Get a digital tape recorder and tape these sounds and post them so we can hear them

If you only hear it when the furnace is on then its probably somehow connected to the furnace - air moving around a corner in the ducts perhaps.

Is it a gas furnace? I have a gas furnace and can perceive a hissing sound when it is operating. Also when the area around the vents heat up a ticking is faintly audible as something is heat expanding.

After enough hot water is drawn from the heater to cause it to come on a thumping/crackling sound is heard in the ceiling.

I noticed this recently and I don't think it is a typical ghost haunting. I was laying in bed getting ready to go to bed and I started to hear the muffled sounds of voices. I live alone in the country so I was a bit spooked. For a moment I thought that I left the radio on in the basement. I got up and went down and it was off. I returned to bed and started back to sleep and started to hear the sounds again. I couldn't make out the words but thought the voices sounded familiar. I could only hear the sounds when the furnace was running. Then last night I was in bed, the house was quiet and I heard a sound coming from the corner of my room. It sounded like something falling into waste basket. I remember earlier in the day that I had tossed a little glass jar into it. I think the voices might have been my family and friends who were at my house watching a basketball game. I'm trying it figure what is going on. The only thing that I can think is that whenever my furnace is running during the day it somehow captures the sound and I can hear some of it at night while it is running. Is there any scientific explanation for this?

That sounds like something that has happened to me before too. In an old house it is possible for energy to record, just like in those ghost sighting where the apparitions don't respond to outside stimuli and are basically a moment caught in time. The same thing is happening in all homes everywhere.

The sound particles and aura energies of the living are constantly imprinting on each homes walls. Your furnace is basically acting as a white noise generator and aiding your psychic recall of these events. In fact, the voices you are hearing may be older than your time living there.

I had a friend in the country renovating and as they were peeling off the old wallpaper, there was audible conversations being heard around the house night and day until it was done. I think that proves that molecules of energy and sound and light embed in the seemingly solid walls in our homes

:yes:

The fact that you heard these voices when trying to go to sleep says a lot I think. I hear voices sometimes when trying to get to sleep (or more commonly) just after waking up. Sometimes quiet and muffled, sometimes gibberish, sometimes quite clear. In my case I have concluded it's simply auditory hallucinations caused by the fact that I regularly do not cleanly fall asleep or wake up but hover on the edge of consciousness and I enter a partial dream state.

People hear and see (and I sometimes physically feel) all sorts of weirdness when trying to get to sleep. I wouldn't assume it's something paranormal.

On a related note (this doesn't apply to the OP as they say they live alone in the country) I have discovered that voices and sounds can travel quite far at night. On a few occasions I've heard quiet conversations going on and there's no-one else in the house. I check to see if there's radio on somewhere or a TV with the volume low or something playing in the background on my PC. Nope. So I go outside and it's nighttime and very quiet, just the odd car going by. And I can still hear the voices and I notice a guy who lives 2 houses away and a friend standing on his doorstep having a smoke and chatting away. A combination of still air and lack of background noise make it easy to pick up noises you wouldn't hear otherwise during the day.

And similarly, when I was younger there was one of those baby monitor radio things in our house. It was sometimes left switched on even when there was no baby sleeping upstairs. On a few occasions, the strangest thing happened and we could hear our next door neighbour clear having a conversation with his wife as if he was in the next room. It took a few occasions to figure out what was happening and we located the source of the sound to the baby monitor. It was clearly designed to work on the same frequency as his cordless phone and was picking up the signal.

Moral of these stories is that there can be many sources for strange voices and conversations that have no obvious cause. Make sure you have eliminated natural causes before assuming the paranormal.

That sounds like something that has happened to me before too. In an old house it is possible for energy to record, just like in those ghost sighting where the apparitions don't respond to outside stimuli and are basically a moment caught in time. The same thing is happening in all homes everywhere.

The sound particles and aura energies of the living are constantly imprinting on each homes walls. Your furnace is basically acting as a white noise generator and aiding your psychic recall of these events. In fact, the voices you are hearing may be older than your time living there.

I had a friend in the country renovating and as they were peeling off the old wallpaper, there was audible conversations being heard around the house night and day until it was done. I think that proves that molecules of energy and sound and light embed in the seemingly solid walls in our homes

:yes:

Sound and light don't have molecules.
  • Like 2