Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BREAKING NEWS: 'IRA are back'

seeder

BREAKING NEWS: 'IRA are back' - group claim responsibility for homemade bombs sent to Army recruitment centres via sinister recognised codeword to Northern Irish media

Group calling itself the IRA says it sent suspect packages to armed forces recruitment offices

Suspect parcels were sent to seven Army recruitment offices in England

The Irish News says 'IRA' has given a statement claiming responsiblity

Statement says 'attacks will continue when and where the IRA see fit'

UK threat from Northen Ireland-related terrorism currently set at 'moderate'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561240/BREAKING-NEWS-IRA-group-claim-responsibility-homemade-bombs-sent-Army-recruitment-centres-sinister-recognised-codeword-Northern-Irish-media.html#ixzz2takGPkrS

Typical Daily Mail over the top, scaremongering.

If you want to know what is really going on read the Daily Mail... the opposite is usually true.

The IRA is NOT back because splinter groups, such as the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA never went away.

As much as any terrorism is to be abhorred these are small groups posting small bombs. These groups have neither the backing, nor the capabilities that the Provisional IRA had before the peace agreement.

• Like 2

So far as i know, the IRA (the "actual" IRA) never copyrighted the name, so I suppose anyone who cobbles together an "improvised device" in their garden shed can call themselves that.

So far as i know, the IRA (the "actual" IRA) never copyrighted the name, so I suppose anyone who cobbles together an "improvised device" in their garden shed can call themselves that.

Yes, they can call themselves whatever they want, but that does not mean that somebody might bomb Blackburn again.

And precisely is what the Snail seems to imply (looks like they ran out of prominences who peed their pants in drunken stupor or something).

Edited by questionmark

The IRA still exists but only in small numbers and not that powerful. The slow growing threat of pipe bombs and home made rockets are starting to make a few people twitch

I think it might have been around 2011 when a journalist was taken to the countryside and handed a letter from the IRA, claiming that they had launched a new campaign. Around the same time, the first soldiers were killed since '97 (masserene barracks) and then Ronan Kerr. Obviously, people were a bit more than concerned because killings like that were reminiscent of the pre-good Friday era. There were several other attempts by the 'Ra' that failed.

Being from N.I and living in a city were the bulk of the NIRA's activity has been taking place right now. I can say that there is indeed something going on. For about a year and a half, the RAAD (Republican Action Against Drugs) had the city in a vice grip and I know four of those personally who were shot although there were many others including one killed. Once the CIRA, RIRA and RAAD merged together we got the NIRA who are operating now.

In the 2 and a half years, I've heard gunshots, a car bomb, been held up by bomb disposal squads as they cleared other IED's and woke up to some poor b****** being shot dead at 11 in the morning by a known republican although I don't know his motives and they've never been stated. I grew up in Derry and Strabane in the early 90's so while there were things going on (I remember the British Army in the streets), I was too young to remember it a lot of it.

Now though, there does feel to be something going on and it's growing - but that's to be expected. If you look at the IRA's history, there's an almost pattern like chain of 'action' that goes on for about 12-25 years, dies down for about 7-12 years and then begins again. This has been going on for over a century now although there's been different motives in the mix as to why the IRA start up again.

As for these bombs being sent to the mainland - that's a big red flag right there and a cause for concern. It was only a few months ago that they were trying to fire mortars out of a van and using car bombs in the town but to send bombs to Britain is a worrying sign and it's not like this is all reserved to men in their 40's who won't let it go.

Where I live in Derry, police are constantly driving around and the other night I was walking home and about 5 young guys about aged 14-16 ran out shouting things like 'RUC scum' and '**** Sin Fein' while pelting the van, But then the youth here have always been republican and there's a ton of them rioting on occasion.

We'll see though but should **** get really bad, I'm getting a gun just in case because I know for a fact that there's a fair amount of people here and in other parts of N.I who agree with the physical force side of republicanism.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input Sean :tu: as someone who lives and breathes it

Edited by seeder

The IRA threat never went away (well, the splinter groups). The security services still keep tabs on them, you just don't hear about it much any more because all the serious players have moved on, got killed, are in prison, or got to old. Also I think most of their funding dried up.

Edited by Finity

The IRA threat never went away (well, the splinter groups). The security services still keep tabs on them, you just don't hear about it much any more because all the serious players have moved on, got killed, are in prison, or got to old. Also I think most of their funding dried up.

Or went into local govt

• Like 1