Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

C*O*P*S

Resh

Ok so im watching the show COPS for the thousandth time and Im eating and smoking and I suddenly realize that all this footage is more hardcore than the news. The violence, everything about the show is negative (apart from making the cops like heroes). I know we all have a deep and sometimes unknown, vicarious need towards seeing this sort of things. But the images and verbs that are aroused in so many minds of all its viewers.

So Im thinking it should be cut off the air permanently. You can scream freedom of speech, but how far can cancer spread before you realize its there?

What do you think?

Whatchu gonna do?

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 3

I think there are a TON of shows that should be taken off the air, nearly all the reality shows, there just rubbish. But then again there is that freedom of speech like you said but if no one is watching these shows then they would have to be taken off the air

• Like 1

People love gratuitous violence so that is why we have such shows like COPS on the air.

Unless our collective attitude is changed, these shows will always be there.

Fortunately we have the power right in our hands, it's called the "remote" and it has a button for changing channels and even one to turn it off too.

The fewer viewers shows like this has, the better the chances shows like that will fade into obscurity.

• Like 2

I don't think they show the worst. Like a cop beating a homeless man to death. You have to watch stuff like that on Youtube.

• Like 4

I've always liked how they (some of the cops) treat the clearly mentally ill on that show. I mean, do you really think yelling at a drug addict and making them feel like garbage is going to help them quit? Let's just send them to jail so they can sober up there instead. Great reasoning. Not saying all of them are like that, but it happens more often than not.

Example: cop; "you'll never get anywhere in life if you keep doing these drugs." Addict; "yeah I know, but I don't want to be like this." Cop; "well tonight you're going to jail, maybe that'll help you."

Really, that's the best we can do?

Edited by andy4
  • Like 3

Yeah Ive also seen cops acting on their best behavior and of course its good help to

the people they arrest who probably need someone to scold them.

Society may like to watch this for whatever reason; weird culture, some primal calling to live

these experiences perhaps in the safety of our homes.

But take the news for example, they sell fear and death all day every day with a calm tone,

and they try to show it passively now due to regulations, but most of the footage they show

in COPS is like a montage of extreme cases.

Say people break through their instincts and tunnel vision for one day and really analyze: "Do I really want to see this? Do I really

want to absorb all of this garbage?" Just today I was reading a book on psychology, the human mind is

very easily influenced, manipulated, shocked, etc.

Leaving the individual behind and focusing on the collective, do we need our culture and societies to feed their minds with all this poop?

I got rid of broadcast television/cable/dish about two years ago.

I was tired of policing the violent commercials for the violent shows that were playing when the violent shows weren't on.

We still have tv, but only for movies so my son doesn't have to deal with seeing any of that random bull****.

Cops disgusts me. It seems like a tool to condition you to have your right violated.

• Like 1

Ok so im watching the show COPS for the thousandth time and Im eating and smoking and I suddenly realize that all this footage is more hardcore than the news. The violence, everything about the show is negative (apart from making the cops like heroes). I know we all have a deep and sometimes unknown, vicarious need towards seeing this sort of things. But the images and verbs that are aroused in so many minds of all its viewers.

So Im thinking it should be cut off the air permanently. You can scream freedom of speech, but how far can cancer spread before you realize its there?

What do you think?

Whatchu gonna do?

Not being an American, I watched "COPS" for the first and only time a couple of years ago and i seriously thought it was a parody show. I remember thinking, "no society would let these meat heads enforce the law so heavy-handedly". But after a few minutes it became apparent that the jokes weren't coming and the meat heads tackling minorities were actually police officers

Cops disgusts me. It seems like a tool to condition you to have your right violated.

Now this makes sense

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Not being an American, I watched "COPS" for the first and only time a couple of years ago and i seriously thought it was a parody show. I remember thinking, "no society would let these meat heads enforce the law so heavy-handedly". But after a few minutes it became apparent that the jokes weren't coming and the meat heads tackling minorities were actually police officers

Yeah that's why I watch it sometimes when I notice its on t.v. I'm fascinated how the officers can be so heavy handed and then justify it to the camera. I almost never think that the criminal is the 'bad guy' but the show is really trying to tell me this. So I find it very strange to watch because I imagine many people would be watching as if 'look at this baddie' meanwhile the police have just rammed his face into the ground after he stops and places his hands up to surrender.

So I watch to see how the officers deal with people and I'm surprised they generally seem pleased about their methods.

Leaving the individual behind and focusing on the collective, do we need our culture and societies to feed their minds with all this poop?

Good question. I wonder that myself when I read certain news sometimes. I also think other shows like Law and Order(and the many copies/styles of that show) are strangely being shoved down our throats for our viewing 'pleasure'. I find it quite bizarre that our society is being hammered with these types of programs. Perhaps in future we will look back at it as a strange period of time while hopefully viewing more meaningful programs.

It's not gratuitous violence (of which none exists onthis show) that people crave watching shows like these. It's drama and excitement. Other reality shows have to creatively fake this drama and excitement. Then you have Dog the Bounty Hunter and COPS. So again, you have Storage Wars or Hardcore Pawn for fabricated drama and excitement, or you have real drama/excitement. Following cops is one of the few reality job shows that rarely ceases to be filled with action/emotion. Other similar jobs can't have reality shows made of them for the reason that they would be far too gratuitous for the viewing public (paramedics/fire fighters).

I like COPS. The show is entertaining. It shows really stupid people doing really stupid things that can get innocent people killed, then they are "taken down" by the police.

Love it 1000%.

• Like 1

My favorite recurring line when a dramatic car+ foot chase ends, and the cops ask the criminal why he didn't just stop in the first place.

"I was scared, sir."

Oh, give me a break, John Johnson..

• Like 2

I recall one incident where the middle age man's sister had called in a health and safety concern about his mental health and asked if they could check on his condition since she lived out of town. Apparently their mother had just passed away a few months earlier and the cops knocked on the door and when the guy entered the lite Fourier at the stopped at the front door without opening it and asked them what he could help them with.

They cops ordered the individual to come out side so they could talk to him.

The guy refused stating something and then found himself with out food officer o the effect that if they didn't have reason then he really didn't know what there was to talk about.

are freedom they leave now it is only so that can leave their given to them but no appear to being

:mellow: The Officer stated that his sister had called the Police and stated that she was concern for his health and safety. They guy stated that he appreciated their concern and that he was fine, yet really didn't care to discuss the situation.

That is what is great about COPS, there is always that inbred redneck claims to know the 'laws' and at that point the cops responded that if he didn't open the door, that they would kick it in.

:no: [No, don't ever say that if you know anything about the science of Government and the new codes of the Corpus Municipalis Officer]

I guess we'll just keep that little incident home owner didn't realize and might offer both sides to aas

bio: l heard that they lost the old websites were required to warrant that he would open the doors and roll out the

Edited by 029b10

now days you have five choices, gratuitous violence, gratuitous 'reality', gratuitous infomercials find the dvds you want to watch and only view them, or don't watch TV . personally I don't watch much TV anymore, to many infomercials and to much reality or what THEY call reality. whatever happened to Reading a good book ( or even a mediocre book) ???????

Edited by mysticwerewolf

People love gratuitous violence so that is why we have such shows like COPS on the air.

Unless our collective attitude is changed, these shows will always be there.

Fortunately we have the power right in our hands, it's called the "remote" and it has a button for changing channels and even one to turn it off too.

The fewer viewers shows like this has, the better the chances shows like that will fade into obscurity.

I've never seen or indeed heard of it, but this is surely the obvious answer. If there was no drama and violence, it wouldn't get the ratings, would it. Exactly the same reason why newspaper front pages are always full of drama and violence rather than "nothing much happened today" or "today someone was reasonably polite to someone else".

Its easy to watch COPs feeling they are over the top bully boys who snort testosterone living out a schoolboy fantasy with an axe to grind. The show often smacks of vigilante style violence over and above the call of duty and I wonder how this type of enforcement can be justified or where the line is drawn.

But on the other hand if there was reality show called CRIMs where the camera followed thugs in the act of stupidity and violent crime on innocent victims I think we might have some sort of balance as to why these crims end up copping it.

I dont think it is the role of any police force to rehabilitate offenders or educate them or even understand them. Remove any further threat to the wider public by what ever means necessary! Of course they are humans too and sometimes make errors in judgement. Society is far from perfect and the justice system is not free of corruption.

Cops are a necessary evil but crime is just evil. Cops are like any watch dog. If you read the warning sign, but still insist being a bad boy and continue to climb that fence then expect to get your a*ss bit.

I don't think they show the worst. Like a cop beating a homeless man to death. You have to watch stuff like that on Youtube.

Yeah you have to go to other sources for the extreme violence

My dad is a retired cop and I have no problem with the show. No one likes a cop until a crime happens to them.

He was shot just pulling a guy over for expired tags. The guy thought he was being pulled over for a domestic violence situation he was leaving and pulled out a gun and shot my dad in the stomach.

The news played my dad screaming for help over his walkie talkie for a month. He lost a kidney and part of his intestine.

He was saying, "Please help me, I'm shot" and I never had heard the tone of voice coming out of my dad before. Because we lived in a small town the media played it over and over.