Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can being cold make you sick ?

Saru

It always partially annoyed and partially cracked me up in old movies when some rugged outdoors type get's slightly wet outside and then you see them suffering from a tremendous cold, a blanket

wrapped around them, their feet in a tub of hot water and a thermometer in their mouth.... Big sissies...

• Like 1

being cold make you cold

• Like 2

Being very cold can lead to Hypothermia which is a killer,if you fell into the Arctic Ocean your chances of survival are limited to 7 minutes before Hypothermia claims you,which was why there was very few survivors of Convoy PQ 17,during the WW2 on the voyage to Murmansk (UK to USSR).

• Like 1

Infectious agents like viruses and bacteria make you sick, but stress on the body like longterm exposure to cold without proper clothing probably lowers your resistance to these agents making you more susceptible. This might have something to do with why people tend to get sick in the winter or when the temperatures rise and fall several times in a short period of days. Of course winter weather forces you indoors sometimes in crowded conditions with sick people where germs are more easily contracted.

• Like 1

This winter 24,000 older people could die from the cold - that’s 200 deaths a day that could be prevented. As we get older, our bodies respond differently to the cold – increasing the likelihood of a heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, and breathing difficulties.

Of the winter deaths that happen every year, 9 in 10 are older people.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/get-involved/spread-the-warmth/what-is-spread-the-warmth/

• Like 1

This winter 24,000 older people could die from the cold - that’s 200 deaths a day that could be prevented. As we get older, our bodies respond differently to the cold – increasing the likelihood of a heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, and breathing difficulties.

http://www.ageuk.org...ead-the-warmth/

Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh,Urgh.......silence.......!!!!!
  • Like 2

http://www.ageuk.org...ead-the-warmth/

True, I was thinking more along that myth that being exposed to cold weather would give you a cold or the flu, which have pathogenic organisms as their source. But you are correct, if the body's core temperature drops below a certain level, all kind of nasty things can happen.

• Like 1

True, I was thinking more along that myth that being exposed to cold weather would give you a cold or the flu, which have pathogenic organisms as their source. But you are correct, if the body's core temperature drops below a certain level, all kind of nasty things can happen.

I was being mischievious and preachy, Sundew. (I can't help it)