Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
forgottenchild

Childhood memory

5 posts in this topic

All of my life I have had this one memory as a child. I do not know why I remember this, I can see it like it just happened. But only a piece of it. It is night time, I am in the school yard across the street from my house. There is a very very bright light above and I am running, there are others out there running too, but I do not remember who they are. People are yelling. That is all I remember, it is not a long memory, it is all pretty quick. I never really thought much about it, but it has always just been there. I was talking with my son earlier tonight, he was talking about Aliens and UFOs. It made me think of it. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Any ideas why I would have this memory or what it could be. Thanks

1 person likes this

My impression is that memories of early childhood are extremely fragmentary - at least they are in my case.

One of my earliest memories is being taken by my older siblings to visit our grandmother. I was so young I was still in a stroller. The thing is, although I know the exact route we would have followed from our home to the nursing home where Grandma lived, I remember only a specific fragment of that journey - essentially an instant while we were on one particular street near the nursing home; obviously the rest of the trip happened, but no other part of the journey has remained in my memory.

It may be that something notable or interesting (at least to my little mind at the time) happened at that instant, and that helped my then new-fangled memory thing work. It may also be that I used to remember more of that trip in past years, but a subsequent event strengthened my memory connection to that point, leaving the rest of the trip to fade from my memory: several years later I walked by myself to visit Grandma, and while on the way back got swooped by a magpie at pretty much the same spot that I remember from the earlier trip. Naturally, that somewhat traumatic event from a time when I was older is a much stronger memory.

The last thing to consider is that memory is notoriously unreliable. I know I have some memories which I know from other evidence must be inaccurate in some way, and other memories which are at least unreliable.

In your case, given the fragmentary nature of the memory, I'd suggest it's very difficult to know objectively what the event could have been.

Out of interest, are you able to speak to older family members about this? They may well know exactly what the event was.

2 people like this

all people have fragments of memory from childhood; but bright lights is something to note, and the fact that you can't get it out of your mind is also something to wonder at

what i am wondering has there been unexplained occurrences in your life, in general? this is a quick test to see if that memory was something out of the ordinary or perhaps just a child's way of conceiving the event

welcome to the forum :)

2 people like this

Well my childhood in general was not great when it came to my parents, but I lived with my Great Aunt and Uncle who cared for me. There have been other things happen when I was younger and even as an adult, but I remember them. This I do not remember and I was a young child I must have been possibly 8 or so, not sure. I have had some strange experiences and some people do not believe in certain things, so I do not normally talk about them. People tend to think your "weird" when you talk about things not understood. I am a pretty normal person, whatever normal is. I have a professional career, a family and so forth. I don't sit around and obsess over things I have experienced. There were times when I was younger I always felt as though I was being watched, I felt very negative energy around me, at one point it was hard for me to sleep at night, I would be so terrified, a teacher of mine gave me a holy cloth to sleep with under my pillow, I was about 16 or 17 then. I have seen things I could not explain, and would sometimes have dreams that felt very real. One time in a dream something had me pinned against a wall, I could not see it I could only feel it, and it was sucking the breath out of me. My boyfriend woke me up because it woke him up, I guess I was fighting in my sleep and stopped breathing. When he woke me I was in the same position laying in the bed as I was in my dream against the wall. It was freaky. But a dream. I have seen things I could not explain, and even now as an adult with grown children, I sometimes still get that feeling, as though something is there and at times it does scare me. But I just pray and ignore it. Anyway, I am sure other people have had experiences, I was just thinking about the one with the light, I just cannot remember anything else about it, I came across this website and thought I would see if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

it could be a dream you had has a child

2 people like this