Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

The experimental flying tanks of WWII

4 posts in this topic

Given how devastatingly effective both newly-invented tank and airplane technologies proved during World War I, it was only a matter of time before enterprising military designers on both sides of the Atlantic thought to combine them into a flying Reece's Peanut Butter Cup of armored mayhem. And they almost succeeded. Well, at least the Soviets did.

http://gizmodo.com/t...wwii-1526096981

2 people like this

Ok, I have heard vague references to this over the years, but this is the first time I've seen any of the developmental work. Ivan must have been drunk or a genius. I can see it working for a light tank but the T-34 was just too big.

I remember learning about this during my military history classes. Oh, Soviet ingenuity is just so damn entertaining.

We never did figure where the driver/pilot was supposed to put his massive brass balls though.

Ain't that the truth! Big bass, hairy ones. The Germans came up with a giant glider that could haul a small tank, crew and infintry support, but it took three planes and rocket assistance to get the thing up in the air and it was a giant target for Allied fighters.