Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"El Chapo Mexico’s top narco arrested

jugoso

Was driving to work this morning and there seemed to be an awful lot of police around and road-closures. Looks like the #1 narco has been caught.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/apnewsbreak-mexicos-sinaloa-drug-chief-arrested/2014/02/22/625e3e22-9bdb-11e3-8112-52fdf646027b_story.html

• Like 1

I call BS but hmm who knows right. The war on drugs and the lies and back door deals makes this story a never mind.

It´s still pretty early so it´s possible that it isn´t him but the US have already confirmed it and I´m sure they were instrumental in his capture. They caught hid head of security a few days ago and another of his top men two days ago. I do agree with you that this will not have a major effect on drug production and flow to the US.

The U.S. still can`t prove they killed Osama Bin Laden. Let alone the war on drugs is desighned to make people rich. Some do and some don`t.

• Like 1

Time for the next guy to service the heroin pipeline from Afghanistan. Government can't go out of business by ending its own manufactured crises after all.

• Like 2

Was driving to work this morning and there seemed to be an awful lot of police around and road-closures. Looks like the #1 narco has been caught.

at a hotel in Mazatlan

http://www.washingto...027b_story.html

Actually it was a condominium not a hotel, right? He was probably living there near you somewhere, not visiting like a tourist.

Actually it was a condominium not a hotel, right? He was probably living there near you somewhere, not visiting like a tourist.

Yes, it was a condo building and nothing super fancy. I don´t think he had been in Mazatlan very long. Not a great place to hide-out for too long. Apparently they had been tracking him and had another opportunity to take him but it was out in the country and so opted to wait until he was in a confined space. I don´t think any bullets were fired so they made the right decision. With his top two guys being arrested earlier in the week and the seizure of 3 tons of coke amongst a lot of other valuables, the noose was slowly tightening. Wouldn´t be surprised in the least to find out the captured companions were drugged/tortured to help authorities locate him.

Time for the next guy to service the heroin pipeline from Afghanistan. Government can't go out of business by ending its own manufactured crises after all.

I´ve heard that heroin use has really been increasing and the price is as low as it has ever been. What a coincidink!

• Like 1

Is this one bust really going to break the cartel? I'm sure the information he can provide would be enough to do some serious damage but I doubt this one bust is going to slow the flow of contraband. That's the thing with black markets. They're created by prohibition; not destroyed by it. ;)

Is this one bust really going to break the cartel?

Nope. As far as I can tell, the Sinaloa cartel still has most of it's high-ranking membership intact who will carry on the manufacture and sale of narcotics on the basis of earning as much money as possible before they'r eventually caught/gunned down.

And besides, knowing Mexico, he'd be out of jail within a few weeks anyway. It's not like the Mexicans can keep him in prison permanently unless they give him to the US for safe keeping, as prison guards there aren't easily bribed.

• Like 2

Yeah sure, just like killing Pablo Escobar changed absolutely nothing, so too will this change absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

Nope. As far as I can tell, the Sinaloa cartel still has most of it's high-ranking membership intact who will carry on the manufacture and sale of narcotics on the basis of earning as much money as possible before they'r eventually caught/gunned down.

Yep

And besides, knowing Mexico, he'd be out of jail within a few weeks anyway. It's not like the Mexicans can keep him in prison permanently unless they give him to the US for safe keeping, as prison guards there aren't easily bribed.

Hold on a second here. Are you insinuating that prison officials were bribed when he escaped from jail 13 years ago in a laundry cart? :rofl:

• Like 2

The US sounds heavily involved in this one. I seriously doubt Mexico would forget that and just let him go.

The US sounds heavily involved in this one.

Both the US and Mexico have been after this guy for a decade. His cartel is the biggest and the US would probably want to tie him to his cartel's business across the border in the States with regards to drugs and killings.

I seriously doubt Mexico would forget that and just let him go.

Well Mexico would want to try him and imprison him, but Chapo escaped prison before and it's unlikely the Mexicans could keep him behind bars. Hence why an extradition to the US after charges and sentencing in Mexico or an agreement with the US would be beneficial in keeping Chapo where he belongs.

Could it be that El Chapo was so wanted because he would not cooperate with the CIA smuggling rings?

Or maybe he once did, and is no longer useful?

We make all this go away if we legalize drugs. The money saved by ending the war on drugs will be significant, then add in the tax revenues and it should be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

We make all this go away if we legalize drugs. The money saved by ending the war on drugs will be significant, then add in the tax revenues and it should be a no-brainer.

Legalization is a good idea but there are also problems with this. Firstly, the cartels will find a way to make more money as their profits, especially in marijuana exports, would take a hit. This means they could turn to things such as human trafficking, or selling illegal firearms on the black market in Mexico (instead of simply giving them to hired sicarios to gun down business competitors). Secondly, we're assuming that the cartels will work with the authorities and pay taxes.

Legalization is a good idea but there are also problems with this. Firstly, the cartels will find a way to make more money as their profits, especially in marijuana exports, would take a hit. This means they could turn to things such as human trafficking, or selling illegal firearms on the black market in Mexico (instead of simply giving them to hired sicarios to gun down business competitors). Secondly, we're assuming that the cartels will work with the authorities and pay taxes.

Most cartels already do the aforementioned. You need to consider how economically viable doing those would be on a scale to equal lost profits. Border cities would become more of a hotspot for violence due to the concentration of the cartels.

Last time I saw marijuana exports were a huge percentage of the cartels revenue. I don't see them equalling the losses with such a smaller market of people and firearms in the Mexican black market.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that illegal drug trade amounts to half of the annual income to the cartels. It's probably higher than that, but let's say half.

Legalization would eliminate half their annual income. Is that a good thing or not?

The same principle would apply to street gangs and other criminal groups here in the US. Would it be a bad thing to eliminate half their income?

Legalization would eliminate half their annual income. Is that a good thing or not?

That isn't a question that can be answered with a simple "yes or no" answer. The answer is this: yes, their income will reduce and this is a good thing, but they will find other ways of making money through other illegal industries and this is a bad thing. Which is what people would say if they went for the "no" answer.

Edited by MordorOrc