Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

America’s Oldest Fort Discovered

4 posts in this topic

In an announcement likely to rewrite the book on early colonization of the New World, two researchers today said they have discovered the oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America.

Speaking at an international conference on France at Florida State University, the pair announced that they have located Fort Caroline, a long-sought fort built by the French in 1564.

http://www.heritaged...est-fort/102215

1 person likes this

And when I looked at the subject line on the main page, it read:

America's Oldest Fort Disco...

That would have been interesting to discover too! But perhaps not quite as old as Fort Caroline.

ETA: Having said that, I was surprised when I read that the settlement contained Protestant French. The fort was built at the start of the French Wars of Religion, between Catholics and Protestants. This was also a time of French-Spanish conflict (going back decades) so it's perhaps not surprising that the Catholic Spanish troops would have taken great pleasure in destroying a fort of Protestant French.

Edited by Peter B

vry neat, though the story of the settlement has always made me sad. if i remember right, it was founded by huguenots hoping forsafety from the religous wars in europe. didn't work out that way.

Interestingly enough, Charleston, SC was given the name " The Holy City" because everyone who came there first thing they did was build a church. Religious persecution was one of the main reasons people took such a huge risk and came here to start over in a hostile land. Some thrived and some died.