Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Ehrman Pagels 1

What's your favorite incense?

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

I love the smell of Monastery Icons' Sweet Frankincense ("Resin-on-a-Stick"). It doesn't have that burning-plastic aroma because of its high quality. Scholars regard frankincense as a symbol of Jesus' priestly role. Isaiah 60:6 also conveys this notion: "They will bring gold and frankincense and proclaim the praises of the LORD." Unlike this popular scent, myrrh typifies Jesus' death and embalming, at least in Christianity.

Would love to hear your favorite incense and please include a story or info about it.

Peace.

547.jpg

Edited by No-thingBornPassion
3 people like this

Uh...wax? You know, that kind of wax.

Hi ambelamba,

Do you mean scented wax, like Extreme Fragrance by Halo? What aroma flavor?

Peace.

I enjoy the smell of sandalwood. Don't really have a personal story, and I tie no spiritual significance to it, but it smells really good. :yes:

2 people like this

Dragon's blood, it comes from some kind of plant. I love the smell. It is used for protection and banish negativity.

https://www.botanica...d/dragon20.html

I'll defintely check it out, my friend.

I enjoy the smell of sandalwood. Don't really have a personal story, and I tie no spiritual significance to it, but it smells really good. :yes:

Sandalwood incense! brings back memories of my yogic years. Auromere Ayurvedic's sandalwood is amazing, you may want to try it. Thanks for sharing, Hideout.

10121294.jpg

1 person likes this

I don't know, there are so many nice ones.

Dragons Blood is nice, so is jasmine. Sandalwood, frankincense, rose..

Then there are the ones from that brand called "Gonesh"...most of them are really nice.

Nag Champa is nice too sometimes.

1 person likes this

Pope on a Rope. It reeks of hypocrisy but is strangely addictive.

1 person likes this

Me too! Bath and Body works used to sell a sandlewood and ginger scent I absolutely was addicted to and I can't use scents like perfume or incense. But I loved this! It reminded me of a very cool blacksmith's shop we used to frequent in the 70's that had the coolest stuff for sale- handmade jewelry, ironworks, hippy clothes, etc.

Actually no, I remembered that wrong it was a headshop on the same island that used to smell of sandlewood.

Hawaiian Ginger or Tahitian Ginger is my other favorite. That used to perfume a restaurant we used to like in Ft Lauderdale in the 60's and 70's. Was it incense though? not sure.

I only like very few man-made scents. When I smell them at store counters I usually think 99% of perfume and men's cologne stink!

Edited by QuiteContrary

a lot of people thinks the 'magnolia chempaka' is too flowery and is strictly for women ~ it is used mainly for beauty spas because it has a scent that is highly conducive to encouraging a relaxing state of mind and body ~

and that is why I like it more among the many incense fragrances available ... frankincense is too intense for me , not to mention costly ~

• Balinese Cempaka Incense Sticks
  • link

1 person likes this

Pope on a Rope. It reeks of hypocrisy but is strangely addictive.

Hi Eldorado. I've never seen it in person, but isn't it a soap?

I don't know, there are so many nice ones.

Dragons Blood is nice, so is jasmine. Sandalwood, frankincense, rose..

Then there are the ones from that brand called "Gonesh"...most of them are really nice.

Nag Champa is nice too sometimes.

Hi Ryu. Nag Champa Satya Sai Baba's the preferred incense of the ashram I once attended, and I gree, it's nice. I haven't tried Gonesh, but I'll probably start with the No. 8 because of its high ratings.

117.jpg

1 person likes this

Hi Eldorado. I've never seen it in person, but isn't it a soap?

Grr. Maybe that's why it's so hard to burn. Thank you! :)

• link

Balinese-Cempaka.jpg

That looks exotic. Thanks for the link, third_eye.

1 person likes this

Egyptian Musk.Nag Champa...

perhaps a note of caution to those new to incenses and scented/fragrant oils ~ always check for 'natural' essences and not the 'chemical' substitutes ~ it may 'smell' similar but the effects and long term pleasant scent is very very ... and I stress again, very different ~

1 person likes this

Quite frankly I dislike most artificial fragrances, including incense, perfume, cologne and scented soaps. When my wife goes into a perfume section of a department store I stay well back. Sometimes it's overpowering, sometimes nauseating. I like the smell of patchouli (probably from growing up in the latter days of the hippie era) but prefer the actual plant to the oil. It smells better and is far less overpowering, a little patchouli goes a very long way. I like the scent of most flowers but detest most perfumes, I don't know how I can tell the difference, perhaps its other chemicals within the perfumes that reek, but I can usually tell the difference.

1 person likes this

Egyptian Musk.Nag Champa...

I like the smell of hibiscus-flower smoke. It has a grounding affect on me. That's a good one to sample, and thanks for mentioning it, Arkitecht.

That's a good point acute. my oils are made w/ mineral oils , I adore dragons blood &

Boticario De Havana!

Sage, Nag Champa, Cedar and Sweetgrass

1 person likes this

Dragon's blood, Nag, lavender.

Am I the only one who thinks about that Rome sequence in History of the World:Part 1?

1 person likes this

How strange to come here and see this thread this morning....

I've never tried incense, but I was thinking about it yesterday and determined to find something.

I grow lavender and I light the dried sprigs of the flowers. I'll be glad when it starts growing again, I am out.

a lot of people thinks the 'magnolia chempaka' is too flowery and is strictly for women ~ it is used mainly for beauty spas because it has a scent that is highly conducive to encouraging a relaxing state of mind and body ~

and that is why I like it more among the many incense fragrances available ... frankincense is too intense for me , not to mention costly ~

• link

Reminds that when I was in Bali I gave a kid $5 to buy some incense at the farmer's market, and he came back with about 3 pounds!

1 person likes this

Reminds that when I was in Bali I gave a kid $5 to buy some incense at the farmer's market, and he came back with about 3 pounds!

Imagine the face on the shop keeper ~ :lol:

~