Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A mind that is stretched by a new experience

regeneratia

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

New ideas change your brain cells: UBC research

http://news.ubc.ca/2...ubc-research-2/

Media Release | February 24, 2014

A new University of British Columbia study identifies an important molecular change that occurs in the brain when we learn and remember.

Published this month in Nature Neuroscience, the research shows that learning stimulates our brain cells in a manner that causes a small fatty acid to attach to delta-catenin, a protein in the brain. This biochemical modification is essential in producing the changes in brain cell connectivity associated with learning, the study finds.

In animal models, the scientists found almost twice the amount of modified delta-catenin in the brain after learning about new environments. While delta-catenin has previously been linked to learning, this study is the first to describe the protein’s role in the molecular mechanism behind memory formation.

That is what is great about this website. It enables people to stretch their minds. Of course, you will see people who don't want to stretch their minds, who want to remain thinking as they are currently. But I am not one of those people. Are you?

The one and only thing I took away from selling Mary Kay Cosmetics is the quote Mary Kay made that said that you should not say "no" FOR another person, that you should give them the opportunity to say "no" for themselves. Once knowing this, my world view shifted. How many times do we eliminate an opportunity for someone else for something merely because we think they won't like it or don't really want it? I was changed forever by this concept.

Another one I had, while I was in my twenties, had to do with window shopping one day. I remember thinking to myself, "If you have no expectations, you will have no disappointments." This thought moved my life permanently. Later, thru the years, I saw that concept repeated over and over again, via quotes from other people. I was changed by it.

I grew up weekly going to a Presbyterian church. As a teen, I remember sitting there, during the sermon, just staring at the cross. It had no personal meaning for me. I had no emotional attachment to it. However, I remember the day that I first saw an ankh. I looked at the symbol and something shifted inside of me. It deeply moved me. It had no meaning when I saw it, but I was seriously moved by it. I have never been the same since.

Relate an memory where an idea or symbol has changed your life.

Edited by regeneratia

...Of course, you will see people who don't want to stretch their minds, who want to remain thinking as they are currently. But I am not one of those people. Are you?

Sounds almost like a veiled slam against skeptics to me.

Anyways I too learned never to expect anything and to keep everything at an arms length because at any moment it will be taken away form you either by circumstance or by others.

I often analyzed why I imagined that I felt some sort of "affinity" or familiarity with any symbols and realized that it was all in my mind. I could, just as easy, have felt a sense of "meaning" over a childs squiggle and realized it is all imagined.

Anyways, everyday we are, as a society, deciding for others who wants or doesn't want/like/believe this or that. It makes some feel good to have people "on their side" even when it means forcing ideologies on them.

Anyways..I have no stories to tell as no image or symbol changed me.

However, I remember the day that I first saw an ankh. I looked at the symbol and something shifted inside of me. It deeply moved me. It had no meaning when I saw it, but I was seriously moved by it. I have never been the same since.

This is something I don't quite understand here. You say it has no meaning to you yet you were deeply moved by it. That seems a bit of a contradiction.

Sounds almost like a veiled slam against skeptics to me.

Anyways I too learned never to expect anything and to keep everything at an arms length because at any moment it will be taken away form you either by circumstance or by others.

I often analyzed why I imagined that I felt some sort of "affinity" or familiarity with any symbols and realized that it was all in my mind. I could, just as easy, have felt a sense of "meaning" over a childs squiggle and realized it is all imagined.

Anyways, everyday we are, as a society, deciding for others who wants or doesn't want/like/believe this or that. It makes some feel good to have people "on their side" even when it means forcing ideologies on them.

Anyways..I have no stories to tell as no image or symbol changed me.

This is something I don't quite understand here. You say it has no meaning to you yet you were deeply moved by it. That seems a bit of a contradiction.

I think non-objective skepticism is a mental disease or some sort if inane sport. It sure could be taken as a veiled criticism for those non-objective skeptics, if they are super-sensitive and insecure. It was not how I intended to encode it.

I would rather it be all in your mind, ... and in your heart. Always lead with your heart.

Edited by regeneratia

non-objective skepticism.....

Non-objective skepticism? Now that's a term I don't hear too often. I suppose being skeptical without knowing what it is you are skeptical about is about as fruitful as showing a fire a picture of a fire hose....or something.

I would rather it be all in your mind, ... and in your heart. Always lead with your heart.

I don't know if that is wise...the heart is all too often swayed by knee-jerk type emotions. I prefer to do the leading and thinking with my brain.

Anyways I was just wondering in what context your first comment was. Thanks.

• Like 1

The context is that ideas, yours or someone else's, change you.

Now am becoming aware that even memes change us all.

Gore, I don't spend good money so someone else can push a mind-set. You, al, want me to join you in your efforts, you pay me.

Imagine that there are viral memetic infections. Scary thought. That someone else is doing your thinking for you.