Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A new state of matter found.. in chicken eye

seeder

A fowl find: Scientists stunned to discover a new state of matter - in a chicken's EYE

Disordered hyperuniformity is an arrangement of particles that allows material to behave like both a crystal and a liquid

Could lead to new types of light sensor

A new state of matter has been discovered in the eye of a chicken. Never before seen in biology, 'disordered hyperuniformity' is an arrangement of particles that allows material to behave like both a crystal and a liquid.

Along with eggs, soup and rubber toys the list of the humble rooster's most lasting legacies may eventually include optics that can transmit light with the efficiency of a crystal and the flexibility of a liquid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2567765/How-chickens-eye-revealed-new-state-matter.html#ixzz2uQMXrYlM

• Like 3

Pretty interesting.. Sounds like it might become useful ?

" Materials in this state are like crystals in the way they keep the density of particles consistent across large spatial distances

But these systems are also like liquids because they have the same physical properties in all directions.

Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

Previously it had only been seen in physical systems like liquid helium and simple plasmas.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Pretty interesting.. Sounds like it might become useful ?

" Materials in this state are like crystals in the way they keep the density of particles consistent across large spatial distances

But these systems are also like liquids because they have the same physical properties in all directions.

Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

Previously it had only been seen in physical systems like liquid helium and simple plasmas.

With my screen size and resolution I couldn't read that till I enlarged it!! So will post it again for anyone else who cant see it, in a larger font

• Like 2

thanks seeder. sorry for the small font ... just copied & pasted, and that's how it came out. I'll have to remember to enlarge those things.

• Like 1

thanks seeder. sorry for the small font ... just copied & pasted, and that's how it came out. I'll have to remember to enlarge those things.

:tu: ha no worries. When I copy/paste from webpages I have a notepad open, pasting it there removes any formatting, then I just copy it back and paste

• Like 1

There's an easier way, clicking the pink and white eraser in the posting features, (right above the I between the B and the U ) will return all highlighted text to forum defaults.

• Like 4

cheers, useful tip :tu:

• Like 1

I was reading this yesterday, near started the topic as well, fascinating stuff,

What I find somewhat confusing is this line:

So is it a new state of matter or not?

• Like 1

I thought you were playing some sort of optical game to go with the theme of the thread :blush:

• Like 2

I was reading this yesterday, near started the topic as well, fascinating stuff,

What I find somewhat confusing is this line:

So is it a new state of matter or not?

Me too .. this line also confused me .. Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

But it's still interesting..

• Like 1