Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Misery Index' ranks how bad winter has been

BiffSplitkins

DETROIT — A new winter misery index confirms what many Americans in the Midwest and East know in their all-too-chilled bones: This has been one of the harshest winters of our lifetimes.

And nowhere has been hit harder, relatively, than Detroit.

Sure Chicago, Indianapolis and Philadelphia and Moline, Ill., are in the midst of their third most extreme winters in more than 60 years. But Detroit, a city that is trying to crawl out of bankruptcy, is also slogging through what so far is the most extreme winter it has had since Harry Truman was president, at least, according to a winter extremity index created by a National Weather Service meteorologist Barbara Mayes Boustead.

The index is based on cold temperatures and snowfall. And so far Detroit has had more than 6 1/2 feet of snow and 100 days when the thermometer plunged below the freezing mark. Of two dozen cities studied, Detroit alone is in the middle of its harshest winter since 1950.

READ MORE

That's not a big issue here in Canada. We have fun toys and hobbies that goes with snow. :tsu:

• Like 1

We seem to get a snow storm every other day, at one point over 2 feet of snow on the ground. Snow thrower is getting worked overtime and using the snow rake on the roof, only one leak so far in the dining room. Hurry Spring!!!

• Like 1

It's been an unpleasant winter for many...as far as the harshest in our lifetime...whose lifetime are we measuring with?

I am 48. I can remember the winters of the mid and late 1970's (76, 77,78,79). Snow was over three feet deep a few years and literally stayed on the ground for weeks...there was no "heavy snow...warm up and melt...heavy snow" cycles like we have had this year. I can remember a couple years where the temps were below zero many times and the wind chills were literally life threatening.

So...yeah it's been a cold and snowy winter...but I will take this over 60 degree temps and drought...at least this kinda-sorta feels like nature is being normal.

• Like 1

I'm guessing nobody had a higher Winter Misery Index than this guy. :tu:

misery.jpg

• Like 3

Oh great the weather for Sunday into Monday is calling for up to 10 inch's of snow!! Someone should shoot that Groundhog....

• Like 1

Oh great the weather for Sunday into Monday is calling for up to 10 inch's of snow!! Someone should shoot that Groundhog....

Why bother...he's just going to freeze to death with the rest of us! :cry:

• Like 3

Why bother...he's just going to freeze to death with the rest of us! :cry:

That's true the wind chill factor for Friday will be -20F...

That's true the wind chill factor for Friday will be -20F...

Yep, it's going to be real fun-fest this weekend. Makes me feel like I could just... g015.gif

At least I'd be warm temporarily.

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 3

I can put up with the cold, but we are bloody drowning in South West U.K, roads blocked, trees down,gimme snow anyday.

• Like 2

I can put up with the cold, but we are bloody drowning in South West U.K, roads blocked, trees down,gimme snow anyday.

I hear you, went thru 2 floods Agnes in 72, lost quite a bit in that one and another in 75 not so bad but still a pain. Hang in there we can only hope it gets better...

• Like 1

I have on a tank top, a long sleeved shirt, a sweat shirt, leggings, flannel pajama pants and heavy socks....and I'm still cold.

Remind me this summer when I b**** about the heat.

• Like 3

I have on a tank top, a long sleeved shirt, a sweat shirt, leggings, flannel pajama pants and heavy socks....and I'm still cold.

Remind me this summer when I b**** about the heat.

...and that is something you will rarely hear me complain about; the heat. I LOVE hot summers. I deal with the heat so much better than the cold. Sadly, at the rate we are going I probably won't be able to open my pool until mid-August. :(

...and that is something you will rarely hear me complain about; the heat. I LOVE hot summers. I deal with the heat so much better than the cold. Sadly, at the rate we are going I probably won't be able to open my pool until mid-August. :(

I love the summers up here. Lake Ontario throws a nice breeze. And for the most part, we don't get much above 80 degrees.

Except last summer, when I gave birth to my son, the day he was born is was almost 100!! Miserable, hazy and hot.

We've been pricing out an AC modifier for our heat pump....it might be worth the couple Gs it'll cost, especially if the summer is as hot as the winter has been cold.