Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is our home haunted ?

namaste

Our house used to be the office for a local wood mill, built in 1903. We moved in five years ago with our three kids and fell in love with it. We first became aware of paranormal activity soon after we settled in. My oldest daughter who was seven at that time heard an old man's voice in the storage room, mocking her and ran out crying. She also saw the baby swing lift up in the air and fall down. One night she ran out of her bedroom crying because she was lying in bed and she heard a voice saying a count down and a monster appearing in the corner of the room. I obviously calmed her down and dismissed it all saying it was just a nightmare but she swore it was real and ever since then she had a hard time sleeping alone. When my husband sat down on the couch, the painting above him fell down on his head. We heard big slams on the wall sending all of our pictures down to the ground in the washroom and in the living room. At first we thought it may have been vibrations from vehicles going by outside or the house moving ...Then, all activity stopped and nothing really happened for a long time. I actually felt a very comfortable in the house. Recently however, I have started to notice strange things around me that never happened before. For example, heavy objects in my kitchen would disappear and I would look everywhere around the house for them only to have them reappear in the same spot days later. These items are high up on the shelf away from my kids reach. How is it possible they disappear out of thin air ??? Then, another day, I was cooking and with the corner of my eye, I saw a plastic lid on the counter lift up in the air and fall down with a slam. I was shocked. Fortunately, I wasnt the only one who saw this. My oldest daughter was right beside me and she also saw the whole thing. Ever since that experience, I had a hard time sleeping at night without a light on. Although I feel a positive energy around me, I am strangely, afraid of the dark. Sometimes, my bedroom gets awfully cold and the air feels heavy. Its true our house is old and the bedrooms are the coldest rooms in the house but I had the furnace going full blast with three blankets on. I can't explain what I'm experiencing and Im often in disbelief. The objects missing are causing a lot of confusion and I feel as though whoever is doing it is having a good laugh about it.

The more I deny whats happening around me, the more it happens. Am I creating this or do I have a presence in the house. In that case, is it a friendly presence or a negative one ? I feel positive energy around me and a feeling like I can't leave this house but at night, I get pretty nervous. This house means a lot to us and the last thing on my mind is for us to move. Please help.

Edited by namaste
  • Like 1

Assuming your account is true, it sounds very much like a "poltergeist"

Don't know if you are religious, but I would contact your local church for validation and help.

Best of luck...

• Like 4

I am a Scientologist so I do believe we all are spiritual beings. I dont believe in the existence of demons... It was explained in Scientology. How can this happen to us ? And why is it that when my husband is home, nothing happens ? Sorry, its my first time on this forum and I am perplexed. Is this an alien entity ? Please more info.

I, not other's, do not have more info. Perhaps they will chime in.

But, I forgot to say... Welcome to UM. :yes:

• Like 2

Sounds like you have a haunting. I've seen a ghost before so I do believe these things are possible. I also believe there are demons or evil spirits.

Might should read this before you decide there are no such thing as demons. Several people not related to the victim witnessed this.

A Real-Life Demon Possession Is Being Reported in Indiana – The Details Are Almost Too Horrifying to Believe

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

That article was so scary I'll just pretend I never read it, lol. If this is true, if a poltergeist is haunting my house could it be a somewhat positive spirit that is just trying to make its presence known ??? I am aware of the fact there could be many spirits in our house on other dimensions. Are these alien entities ?

We never experienced bites or direct hits. Could the fear of the dark just be a fear of the unknown ? And if we have a spirit in the house, is it just passing through ? Anyone else with similar experiences that would be able to shed more light on this matter. thank you.

Edited by namaste

That article was so scary I'll just pretend I never read it, lol. If this is true, if a poltergeist is haunting my house could it be a somewhat positive spirit that is just trying to make its presence known ??? I am aware of the fact there could be many spirits in our house on other dimensions. Are these alien entities ?

We never experienced bites or direct hits. Could the fear of the dark just be a fear of the unknown ? And if we have a spirit in the house, is it just passing through ? Anyone else with similar experiences that would be able to shed more light on this matter. thank you.

I don't know about your case, but I can unequivocally say that the demon story from Indiana is nothing more than an elaborate hoax.

• Like 1

I don't know about your case, but I can unequivocally say that the demon story from Indiana is nothing more than an elaborate hoax.

Huh... really? There were a number of witness's, including the police, a nurse and a CPS(DCS) agent.

Anyway, back on the OP topic...

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

Huh... really? There were a number of witness's, including the police, a nurse and a CPS(DCS) agent.

Anyway, back on the OP topic...

And as we know, eyewitness testimony is some of the most unreliable evidence there is. Funny how the story is already starting to evolve and becoming more "spooky" every time it's told. Movie deal pending.

• Like 2

A case worker witnessed it, not just the family.

I think its just a haunting. I think if it wanted to hurt you it would have already done it.

I was wondering did you do any remodeling on the house before this started up again?

Edited by Ashotep

I forgot to mention that my husband's father has died in the war and his clothes are in a luggage in our kids closet. Sometimes, our oldest daughter would go in the closet and hear a man's voice. At that time she didn't know anything about the clothes being there. I told her she's just hearing things or it's probably the house moving. Regarding the incident where she saw a monster, she described it as being a tall, transparent, blurry mass. I asked her why she didn't wake her sister up who was sleeping beside her. She said she was so scared, her body literally froze. The ghost or whatever it was, was really close to the closet. Could that have been my husband's dad and if so, why would he scare her ???Right after the incident she ran to my room but I was so mad at her for waking me up that I quickly dismissed everything and sent her back to bed that same night even though she was terrified. I regret it now, especially since seeing with my own eyes the plastic lid on the counter rise up and fall down with a slam.

My husband works in very remote areas of the northern Canada and he has seen many strange things but he still does not believe in ghosts even though he has captured on camera a cup moving on the table, then stopping, then moving again.

I'm sorry if what I write is confusing, I'm just trying to list everything we've been experiencing so far so that maybe one of you can actually make sense of it all ... I will continue to keep an eye and perhaps even try to capture some of the phenomenon on camera so that I can prove I'm not delusional. Until then, I'm hoping for more detailed explanation for these strange occurrences. I have read many stories so far on this informative forum and a lot of them have similarities. Perhaps someday, someone will tie all pieces of the puzzle together so that I can finally understand whats going on and not feel nuts?

Yes! We did extensive renovations throughout the house starting the winter of 2012. We started with the bathroom and got really sick from it. It could have been the mold that we removed that caused us to get severe stomach aches that ended with a visit to the emergency. Then we renovated our bedroom and lastly, we encapsulated the crawl space. Im not sure if any of you know what encapsulating the crawl space means, we had to remove all the debris from inside the crawlspace and install a vapour barrier to isolate the foundation from the moist ground. Going underneath the house was a very scary experience lol. I had to remove bricks, old shovels, cans etc that have been left there since 1960 when the house was moved there - the house was built in 1903, then moved to a new area in 1960 when the wood mill shut down. We got sick again with the stomach flu multiple times, and lately we have been getting lots of headaches.

I asked my neighbors and the mayor of our town about the history of our house. From what they've told me, only old people lived in it and nobody can remember anyone dying in it.

Edited by namaste

One thing you could try is to acknowledge it. When it does something, like drop a lid, tell it you know it's there but to stop doing it before it breaks something.

• Like 1

Your daughter could have experienced sleep paralysis, especially since you said she couldn't move. It's a sleep disorder most people will experience at least once in their lifetime and it's very real and scary.

As far as the other things, do you have gas in your home?

• Like 2

Yes! We did extensive renovations throughout the house starting the winter of 2012. We started with the bathroom and got really sick from it. It could have been the mold that we removed that caused us to get severe stomach aches that ended with a visit to the emergency. Then we renovated our bedroom and lastly, we encapsulated the crawl space. Im not sure if any of you know what encapsulating the crawl space means, we had to remove all the debris from inside the crawlspace and install a vapour barrier to isolate the foundation from the moist ground. Going underneath the house was a very scary experience lol. I had to remove bricks, old shovels, cans etc that have been left there since 1960 when the house was moved there - the house was built in 1903, then moved to a new area in 1960 when the wood mill shut down. We got sick again with the stomach flu multiple times, and lately we have been getting lots of headaches.

I asked my neighbors and the mayor of our town about the history of our house. From what they've told me, only old people lived in it and nobody can remember anyone dying in it.

The getting sick thing is most likely due to mold and I have to tell you, tackling certain mold growths without the proper equipment is a very, very dangerous thing to do. You need to bring a professional in to inspect teh house and se if you have dangerous mold growing in hidden spots.

• Like 1

A case worker witnessed it, not just the family.

And......

I won't comment further here as I don't want to derail the discussion, but I did post a 'skeptic's' take on the whole story in the primary thread. You should check it out if for nothing else than an alternate approach in looking at a story like this.

• Like 2

Well, I had another strange experience yesterday. I was on the laptop paying my bills when the water bottle beside me shook vigorously for a few seconds. It had a large ice cube inside that made a loud noise when the bottle shook. Then it stopped. I panicked and ran out of the kitchen. I got a hold of my husband who happens to work away from home. He reassured that experience was not a ghost but perhaps I have an ability to move objects with my mind ... He asked me if I have been doing any unusual activities lately, I told him that I started to meditate. I told him that I feel tingling sensations all over my body especially when I lay down on the bed. Its as if energy is flowing through me from the tip of my toes to my head and I get a mild headache in the front and at the back of my head. It's not sleep paralysis since I can easily move around. He told me that Im probably getting very spiritual. That comforted me a bit but I still went to bed with all the lights on in the house. I am soooo confused.

In regards to my oldest daughter, yes I think she experienced sleep paralysis. In regards to the house, we learnt from our mistakes and wore proper fitted breathing masks when cleaning the crawlspace. All mold has been removed from underneath the house. We also installed two carbon monoxide detectors and two air purifiers. We also have a brand new furnace.

Edited by namaste

What you stated with everyone having headaches, I'd have the carbon monoxide levels checked in the house anyway. That stuff can really mess you up.

Also I meditate as well and the tingling sensations are normal and awesome, the headache isn't.

• Like 3

With so much activity going on...why no photo's or videos? Until then its just a story..

Why don't you just suggest videos without the demeaning after thought ? If there was video, you would probably just say it was fake.

Well, I had another strange experience yesterday. I was on the laptop paying my bills when the water bottle beside me shook vigorously for a few seconds. It had a large ice cube inside that made a loud noise when the bottle shook. Then it stopped. I panicked and ran out of the kitchen. I got a hold of my husband who happens to work away from home. He reassured that experience was not a ghost but perhaps I have an ability to move objects with my mind ... He asked me if I have been doing any unusual activities lately, I told him that I started to meditate. I told him that I feel tingling sensations all over my body especially when I lay down on the bed. Its as if energy is flowing through me from the tip of my toes to my head and I get a mild headache in the front and at the back of my head. It's not sleep paralysis since I can easily move around. He told me that Im probably getting very spiritual. That comforted me a bit but I still went to bed with all the lights on in the house. I am soooo confused.

In regards to my oldest daughter, yes I think she experienced sleep paralysis. In regards to the house, we learnt from our mistakes and wore proper fitted breathing masks when cleaning the crawlspace. All mold has been removed from underneath the house. We also installed two carbon monoxide detectors and two air purifiers. We also have a brand new furnace.

I lived in a house with this type of activity for several years. The thing about it is that when these things happen they are so real you just keep looking for the "real" explaination. You hear the banging, you hear the crashing glass, there is no spooky sound effects playing, so you just keep looking for the source.

We had the disappearing items happen also, that seemed to happen more to the children than to me. Yes, it would frighten them when the article would then turn up right in the middle of the place where they had first looked !

I will never forget what happened the day before we moved out of the house. I was sitting with my daughter who was by then 18 and I said to her, "Well do you think the ghost will come with us ?" As we sat there an interior door right next to us opened at least three feet and slammed full force. She and I looked at each other, got up and ran .....And, no, it didn't come with us. In the end the fact that nothing similar every occurred in the next house is what finally convinced me what we had encountered was real and we weren't crazy or imagining things.

Edited by Vincennes

Hi,

By the grace of God, I will be able to remove evil spirits / demons from your home within 2 weeks.

I have helped countless people all around the world to get rid of evil spirits. *SNIP* *Please use site PM function. Don't publically post personal e-mail address.*

Regards,

Rehman

Edited by Lilly
personal information removed

Thanks Vincennes for your story. We've owned other homes before and none were haunted - no voices, no banging on the wall or items missing. But its hard for us to move to a new home because this house is so historical and so beautiful. I can't wrap my head around the idea of demons and evil spirits and youre right, what happened to me was so real, Im looking for a more logical explanation.

• Like 1

And if I could, I would have captured these activities on video but they happen so fast, they barely last three seconds. And they scare the crap out of you.