Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No Bags at Boston Marathon This Year

thedutchiedutch

This year's Boston Marathon will have a "no bags" policy as part of stepped-up security following last year's deadly bombing,

the Boston Athletic Association announced Wednesday.

Marathon runners typically are allowed to bring bags or backpacks to keep personal items.

Those bags are bused between the starting line in Hopkinton and the finish line in Boston.

But this year, runners will not be allowed to bring backpacks or bags, which will also not be allowed in certain areas near the start or finish line,

or along the 26.2-mile course.

Runners will be given a chance to check gear on Boston Common on the morning of the marathon

to allow them to have a change of clothing at the end of the race.

The athletic association said it will provide clear plastic bags for that purpose.

Link to full article : http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/boston-marathon-bans-bags-part-security-plan-22690178

• Like 1

I can understand why they would do this, however I do not agree with it.

Thanato, why don't you agree ? Would you have come up with another safety measure ?

I have to agree, I see no reason to really object, other than for the sake of objecting.

You are never-ever safe. To give away your freedom and privacy in hopes of attaining perfect security is actually pretty insane. A brick can fall from above, a gas line could explode...there is no perfect safety or security...only the loss of freedom.

That being said...I wouldn't go to a marathon run anyway...to me it equates to watching grass grow. If people are that "into" watching a foot race or grass growing...by all means...do whatever flips your switch...but be prepared to be violated and searched..."it's for your own good" after all.

• Like 2

Thanato, why don't you agree ? Would you have come up with another safety measure ?

Don't change don't give an inch. Just have the police be vigilant. This is what happens when you give into fear. You give up something as simple as a backpack at an all day event.

I was on an airplane 2 weeks after 9/11. I will not let those who wish to terrorize me and my way of life effect me or my way of life. Yes it was sad to hear what happened that day. But to bring in impractical solutions such as this? Ok so they can't bring in a back pack, there are many other ways to get large amounts of explosives into a crowded area to cause mass cas, or to hide a firearm.

What they need to do is properly train Police to identify people of interest, not do sweeping changes in the name of security.

I have a question, how would this make me more safe then I am today?

~Thanato

• Like 6

If someone wanted to get a bomb any where along the route, they could just go the way of the suicide bomber and strap it to themselves.

If someone really wanted to bomb Boston again, they aren't going to let not having a backpack get in their way.

The article says they are banning baggy clothing...I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 2

Banning backpacks at this event will not stop a thing. How many marathons are there? Next thing you know they'll ban backpacks at the Iditarod.

I agree with Thanato. Don't give an inch or else the terrorists win.

• Like 3

Banning backpacks at this event will not stop a thing. How many marathons are there? Next thing you know they'll ban backpacks at the Iditarod.

I agree with Thanato. Don't give an inch or else the terrorists win.

I would not say the Terrorists win. All they want is either a Political Message brought to our attention or to spread fear and carnage. Who really wins in these situations are those who would rather have security than freedom for their people.

~Thanato

• Like 2

I understand what you guys are saying, if they want, they will find a way to do harm regardless of any safety measure.

But, I think that a big reason for no bags is not only a safety measure, it will also have a physiological effect.

Can you imagine if they would allow bags ? Most people would, willingly or not, automatically think what could be in that bag ?

Any person that would carry a bag or that would be putting a bag on the ground would become a suspect automatically.

Panic could strike, just by seeing a single abandoned bag sitting on the ground. So yes, I can see the reason why no bags and therefore I can only agree.

I think It's better to avoid if you can and eliminate changes of danger.

Edited by thedutchiedutch

I understand what you guys are saying, if they want, they will find a way to do harm regardless of any safety measure.

But, I think that a big reason for no bags is not only a safety measure, it will also have a physiological effect.

Can you imagine if they would allow bags ? Most people would, willingly or not, automatically think what could be in that bag ?

Any person that would carry a bag or that would be putting a bag on the ground would become a suspect automatically.

Panic could strike, just by seeing a single abandoned bag sitting on the ground. So yes, I can see the reason why no bags and therefore I can only agree.

So? I can understand that this might happen but it is very unlikely that it would cause mass panic. Sure the Police should be hyper vigilant at these things for abandoned parcels and bags and oddly placed heaps of trash, but to ban back packs over possibly stirring bad memories? Wouldnt the event its self do that for the majority?

Most people in North America today already attribute abandoned back packs to potential terrorist activity simply due to the conditioning that we have been put through in the past 13 years. I know it crosses my mind, but also so does trash on the side of the road... but hey I'm still living life.

I see your point of view, that's why I'm not going to argue against it, but just 'No'.

• Like 1

So? I can understand that this might happen but it is very unlikely that it would cause mass panic. Sure the Police should be hyper vigilant at these things for abandoned parcels and bags and oddly placed heaps of trash, but to ban back packs over possibly stirring bad memories? Wouldnt the event its self do that for the majority?

Most people in North America today already attribute abandoned back packs to potential terrorist activity simply due to the conditioning that we have been put through in the past 13 years. I know it crosses my mind, but also so does trash on the side of the road... but hey I'm still living life.

So why take the chance ? Even if it's very unlikely. Isn't it better to avoid ?

I don't think it's banning back packs just to avoid stirring bad memories. Banning bags and/or back packs in this case would be besides a security measure, a 'peace of mind' plus it would be something less to worry about so police / security can concentrate on other potential threats.

So why take the chance ? Even if it's very unlikely. Isn't it better to avoid ?

I don't think it's banning back packs just to avoid stirring bad memories. Banning bags and/or back packs in this case would be besides a security measure, a 'peace of mind' plus it would be something less to worry about so police / security can concentrate on other potential threats.

The only thing this measure would do is give a sense of false security.

i,m, surprised i agree with Thanato here.

we are all treated as potential terrorists now.

my relative came from Israel few weeks ago, they get things blown up a lot more often than we do, yet they are not afraid of every bag, and do not let this fear affect their lives, America otoh is scared shtless.

I disagree with this statement. I don't see how you can say that a "no bags" policy is a false sense of security. No bags would absolutely make it more secure..but so would a no clothes policy.

That being said, the whole point of terrorism is to strike fear and unrest within the population. Once you start making severe changes like this..the terrorists are winning. So, even though I disagree with this statement, overall we share the same opinion.

• Like 1

I call it peace of mind you call it a sense of false security. It doesn't matter as long as people enjoy and nothing bad happens :)

I call it peace of mind you call it a sense of false security. It doesn't matter as long as people enjoy and nothing bad happens :)

So you believe that bombs in bags are the ONLY way terrorists would attack the Boston Marathon?

So you believe that bombs in bags are the ONLY way terrorists would attack the Boston Marathon?

No. Not at all. I believe that if terrorists want they will find a way regardless.

No. Not at all. I believe that if terrorists want they will find a way regardless.

..then where does that "peace of mind" come from?

..then where does that "peace of mind" come from?

At least people will not look at every single bag or backpack as if it could contain a bomb.

At least people will not look at every single bag or backpack as if it could contain a bomb.

People will be even more paranoid, IMO. The boston bombing was not that long ago, and with the anti-bag rules in place, terrorism will be on the forefront of everyone's mind.

"Does that guy with the turban have a bomb under his jacket?"

"Is a car going to explode when we leave here?"

"Will the police be able to protect us this time?"

Banning backpacks is a bandaid, nothing more. It gives the illusion of security. Remember: terrorists took down two buildings in downtown New York, in broad daylight, with a pair of box cutters.

But hey; at least we don't have to worry about backpack bombs this year.

People will be even more paranoid, IMO. The boston bombing was not that long ago, and with the anti-bag rules in place, terrorism will be on the forefront of everyone's mind.

"Does that guy with the turban have a bomb under his jacket?"

"Is a car going to explode when we leave here?"

"Will the police be able to protect us this time?"

Banning backpacks is a bandaid, nothing more. It gives the illusion of security. Remember: terrorists took down two buildings in downtown New York, in broad daylight, with a pair of box cutters.

But hey; at least we don't have to worry about backpack bombs this year.

I think terrorism will be on most people's mind regardless. With or without bags/backpacks.

Like you said yourself, the bombing happened not that long ago and is still fresh in people's mind.

So what do you think would happen if they allow bags/backpacks and all of a sudden there are some spotted

unattended ? What's the harm of preventing that ? I don't see anything wrong with no bags policy but that's just my opinion.

I don't see anything wrong with no bags policy but that's just my opinion.

There isn't anything wrong with it...it just shouldn't be treated like it's going to stop anything...