Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

150+ year old coffin factory

herenow

I've been in this building for 7 years. I've known it used to be a coffin factory and a funeral supply manufacturer. I've also regularly seen and experienced things in this building, but I've never mentioned them to anyone here. That kind of stuff is very interesting to me and I pursue it every day, everywhere, but the people who work here don't know I'm into it.

Today some of the long-term employees started talking about the odd things they've seen, heard, etc over the past 25 years. They started sharing experiences and there were a lot of "YES, I'VE SEEN HER TOO" types of responses.

I'll post some pictures and history and stories of this place. It's in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

• Like 1

Thats a teaser, you need to provide more information and pictures!!

The building was closing so I had to get out. I'm home now and will start putting up some info.

I had not idea these people (whom I've worked with for 7 years) were seeing these things.

I took some quick photos before I left.

This building is full of thousands of items owned by people who died years ago. If you believe people leave 'imprints' on the items they've lived with, then the chances are this place is loaded with imprints.

• Like 1

I'll find a larger picture, but this the set of buildings in the 1850s. The tallest one in the center is all that remains today.

This picture shows horses pulling a hearse.

post-101321-0-21166200-1393546470_thumb.

• Like 1

Here's a larger picture of the building in the 1800s. I removed buildings that don't exist today.

I believe this print is from some type of advertising for their mortuary business, probably from a newspaper ad in that era.

post-101321-0-95496700-1393549901_thumb.

I'll never forget going to a "showroom" for caskets when my mom was dying and wanted me to pre-arrange everything. I picked out a nice casket and was basically struggling with grief before she even died - then after that when the time came the p***ant who ran the place came to me and said they were out of stock and would I mind taking a "much better" model - it only had a small dent in one corner that wouldn't be seen. I've never forgotten that. No offense to you but I think the people who sell that stuff are GHOULS and vultures combined. People who are losing a loved one or have just lost a loved one are the most vulnerable they will ever be in their lives - and people like this creature are more than ready to take advantage of them - it's despicable imo. THEY are the ghosts.... sorry - just felt the need to vent that. :blush:

• Like 3

oooh coffin factory and funeral supplies! damn it must be haunted

Sounds like a challenge.

What do you want first, the history or the stories about people seeing things?

I'll never forget going to a "showroom" for caskets when my mom was dying and wanted me to pre-arrange everything. I picked out a nice casket and was basically struggling with grief before she even died - then after that when the time came the p***ant who ran the place came to me and said they were out of stock and would I mind taking a "much better" model - it only had a small dent in one corner that wouldn't be seen. I've never forgotten that. No offense to you but I think the people who sell that stuff are GHOULS and vultures combined. People who are losing a loved one or have just lost a loved one are the most vulnerable they will ever be in their lives - and people like this creature are more than ready to take advantage of them - it's despicable imo. THEY are the ghosts.... sorry - just felt the need to vent that. :blush:

Best I can tell, this place stopped dealing in the DEAD PEOPLE business about 75 years ago.

But the building is still in the ‘dead people’ business in a way.

It's an antique market, selling the collectible and valuable possessions of dead people.

Best I can tell, this place stopped dealing in the DEAD PEOPLE business about 75 years ago.

It's an antique market, selling the collectible and valuable possessions of dead people.

I understand and as I said, no offense - and I didn't mean to derail- really. Welcome to UM!
  • Like 1

I was drawn to put my business here 7 years ago. There's a story there in itself.

Then to hear tonight as I was leaving that people have a bunch of 'ghost stories' about working in this building.

I'm all in.

• Like 1

Well stories is a good start . Now see if some one wants to look in to the place . May be some thing will turn up . Or not .

• Like 1

Sounds like a challenge.

What do you want first, the history or the stories about people seeing things?

oh gosh no - please skip right to the compelling photographs
  • Like 2

oh gosh no - please skip right to the compelling photographs

It's not like I have any pictures showing ghosties - at least as far as I know - I just have pictures of the building and it's contents.

Here's one of the pictures I took last night from the basement of the building.

The old red paint and the saw look pretty dramatic!

post-101321-0-45737900-1393587042_thumb.

We went through the same thing when my mom passed... My dad was so grief stricken that he couldn't think straight, and the 'salespeople' kept pulling the bait and switch to get get him to look at ever more expensive models... Finally we

took dad out and we five oldest kids went after the jerk, getting the one he originally wanted and a reduction in price as well... It helped that most of us were in uniform (Army, Navy and Police)... These guys sometimes are worse than

the stereotypical used car salesman....

Sorry, back on topic.... Old buildings - even without the history of this one - are fascinating to me... I particulally like going through really old abandoned schools....

• Like 1

While it may be haunted (if one believes in that stuff), the fact that it was a casket manufacturer doesn't really give it paranormal cred anymore than if it were a wagon manufacturer. It was simply a woodworking shop.

• Like 4

While it may be haunted (if one believes in that stuff), the fact that it was a casket manufacturer doesn't really give it paranormal cred anymore than if it were a wagon manufacturer. It was simply a woodworking shop.

Very good point. Agreed.

Stories that came up yesterday:

One is from a guy in his 60s who’s worked in the building for 25 years. He’s a quiet, low key, old school, no bs, dude. He started talking about all of the people who’ve died and were some way related to the building. Customers, employees, the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who had worked in there in different businesses. He also kept saying something about people from the 1920s.

Edited by herenow

So, this guy and a woman in her late 50s who works there talked about a recent incident in which they were closing the building. They were on one of the floors, shutting off lights and locking things up and making sure there were no customers remaining on the floor.

They both saw a customer go around the corner. They both called out the to customer and went looking for him but of course there was no one there.

Here’s a view of the building, probably taken last year.

Things have changed since then. The parking lot to the left is being turned into a high-rise hotel and the buildings in the rear have been torn down and 8-story luxury condos are being built.

The place will soon be dwarfed by big, modern construction.

post-101321-0-89705700-1393592945_thumb.

The road out front is ancient. It was a Native People’s trail to the Charles River. It was the route the British took in 1776 when heading out to Lexington and Concord and ‘The Shot Heard Round The World’ at the start of the American Revolution.

Here’s a view today and a view from before the building was built. You see a river in the back which has since been filled in. The river was called Miller’s River in the 1800s, but before that it was called Will’s Creek. I believe it was named after a Native Person called Black Will by the English. His name was Poquanum, and his daughter was married to a Sachem who’s family is the focus of something I wrote about a couple years ago: http://http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222292&hl=

post-101321-0-67249900-1393595392_thumb.

post-101321-0-27803800-1393595400_thumb.

Edited by herenow

Give more stories of what your co workers say and/or pics inside. I'm tired of seeing the outside of the building. :)

Please.

• Like 2