Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Latinos surpass Anglos in CA

Indiogene

California, the most populous state in the US, now has more Latinos than Anglos. Just to point out Anglos or non-Hispanic whites are a minority among minorities in a very diverse state. CA has 38-40 million people, and 38-40% are Latino/Hispanic. But the state of New Mexico also has more Latinos...and Hawaii has an Asian majority, while some states esp. in the South have high African-American populations. Oklahoma is the highest Native American percentage (or is it Alaska?), but anyway...the US along with CA are becoming more diverse and in the future (30-50 years from now), whites/Europeans will become another minority in the US.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Latinos-set-to-surpass-whites-in-California-in-5146876.php

What bothers me is that this bothers some people. What latino values are people afraid of? They work hard, they have strong faith, they're loyal and loving to thier families and friends, my experience is they're considerate of thier nieghbors, The food is GREAT!

I like em.

• Like 3

What bothers me is that this bothers some people. What latino values are people afraid of? They work hard, they have strong faith, they're loyal and loving to thier families and friends, my experience is they're considerate of thier nieghbors, The food is GREAT!

I like em.

Totally agree. All the ones I've ever met seemed like good folks. Granted, I'm rather sheltered in my little world. It doesn't bother me at all. They have a great culture, and good people.

Well I guess that means they are no longer the minority...so does that mean affirmitive action legislation can now be used by white folks?... :whistle:

• Like 3

I like em.

I just don't like the fact that they come to America illegally. The good food doesn't cover the damage that they do to the job market by taking mass jobs in construction and other markets.

Think I'll need to stay away from this thread. I know how topics like this get here on UM.

• Like 2

Future? it was mexico in the past

That's exactly what the reconquistas say :) I have no problem with letting Hispanics have Cali. My guess is it will be a lot less desirable once the welfare crowd deplete the coffers and the Feds cannot afford the largesse any longer. No offense intended to anyone from Cali but they have let their state DIE due to uncontrolled immigration and now they are reaping the whirlwind.

And before I get slammed for being racist or hate filled let me make it clear that I have never had a problem with any Hispanic person I've ever known. They are hard working and tend to be religious in a good way - no violence. But it is indisputable that they send most of their money south and rely on assistance from the government while they do it. In fact if the Feds ever got serious about stopping that flow of money south I think we'd actually start having an insurgency from Mexico. They'd consider it a sanction or an otherwise hostile act.

Edited by and then

Well if the droughts continue to kill the agriculture in Cali....it's gonna be an uninhabitable desert in a few years anyway...enjoy!

California, New Mexico, and Texas used to be Mexico. The current bunch of "illegals" are trying to reconquer these areas by attrition. If enough of them are there it becomes Mexican again..that explains why the Mexicans coming over the border don't see themselves as illegals.

Even the Mexicans up here in South Dakota have Mexican flags in their house/apt. windows and bumper stickers. I like their food and work ethic. I just worry that the flag ones are not interested in being Americans at all. That worries me.

:unsure2::no::innocent:

Edited by MeanieAndMe
  • Like 3

Latinos are not a monolithic group, you have 20-25 Latin American nationalities (including Brazil, a Portuguese speaking country and Puerto Rico, an US territory). Meanieandme, you forgot AZ...where the state had a controversial bill to crack down on illegal immigration blocked by the US supreme court. Arizonans should know the close historic cultural and geographic connection their state has with Mexico. For hundreds of years, the Southwest was a place where Mexicans either indigenous or Hispanic constantly crossed the imaginary line that became the border, and today, you have border towns on both sides have equal Mexican and US-American influences have identical cultures.

Where I live in the Palm Springs area, Latinos are around half the population and my hometown Indio, CA is somewhere between 65-85 percent Latino now, and many communities in CA are majority Latino, while hundreds of other communities they form a plurality. We had experienced a high tide of immigration from Mexico and Latin America (El Salvador and Guatemala). California's Latino population grew 3 times from 1970, when only 13 percent or 1.5 million Californians were Latino. Back when CA became a state, Latinos (actually Californios or Hispanos, former Mexican citizens) were the majority until the peak of the Gold Rush migration from the U.S. made Anglos outnumber them 8 to 1 by 1850.

The US took land not only from Mexico and Spain, but the Dutch (via British colonial acquisition), French and Russia (Alaska), the Kingdom of Hawaii and yes, Native Americans whom occupied the land for tens of thousands of years. Mexican-Americans and other Hispanic/Latino peoples are descendants of indigenous peoples and Spanish-European settlers, sometimes with African slaves, and in Baja Cal. next to the US border, there are some Mexicans of Chinese, Indian and Arab descent. The US government used to make it difficult for Asian immigrants to settle in the US and Baja Cal. like British Columbia, Canada is where Asians sometimes entered North America.

Mexico is an economically stratified country though, where rural interior areas are generally poor and there's pressure to find work in the United States, take home the US dollar converted into pesos and this is the 2nd biggest source of income in Mexico after oil exports. The Mexican government hasn't done anything to reduce the country's poverty rate, what they did though is encourage mass immigration in hopes to numerically reduce poverty and migrant labor to bring home high-value money. NAFTA is sometimes blamed for the rise in immigration, esp. illegal, of Mexicans into the US in the last 2 decades, but the Great Recession in the last 5 years should reduce the need for immigration when jobs aren't anymore plentiful in the US.

Latinos are not a monolithic group

Nor are "Anglos".

• Like 3

Nor are "Anglos".

The US Census designated 5 or 6 "races" (Latino/Hispanic is actually an ethnicity). Non-Hispanic whites or "Anglos" are comprised of many ethnic groups originated in Europe, the Middle east and North Africa. There's no singular Asian, African-American (Africa and the Caribbean/west Indies included) and Native American cultures. The concept of what makes a "race" or ethnicity is controversial, and scientists and biologists stated race is merely a social construct.

I read the comments on Latino/Hispanic people are good, honest, hard-working and law-abiding people. In CA, there's some racism against Latinos whom are stereotyped for negative traits which are exaggerated. I personally known Latinos, worked with them, had friendships and my wife is half-Mexican. I don't hold hatred or bigotry towards any people, but when CA has more Latinos in their state a demographic reality, it's time to treat Latinos with the respect they deserve.

Does anyone know what the native Mexican peoples are called? (i.e. what we call Native Americans in the US)

It's my understanding that they're pretty much crapped on by everyone in Mexico.

And isn't there some racial stratification based on whether someone is of Spanish decent?

It's been my experience that even in somewhat mono-racial countries that folks still find a way to classify and look down on others - it's human nature.

Edited by Rafterman

Does anyone know what the native Mexican peoples are called? (i.e. what we call Native Americans in the US)

It's my understanding that they're pretty much crapped on by everyone in Mexico.

And isn't there some racial stratification based on whether someone is of Spanish decent?

It's been my experience that even in somewhat mono-racial countries that folks still find a way to classify and look down on others - it's human nature.

But Mexico really isn't mono-racial. Latinos/Hispanics isn't really a race. There are white, black, native-american, and even arab and east asian hispanics.

When you visit Los Angeles, and other western US cities and states, you'll noticed Latinos (esp. Mexicans and Central American immigrants) form a large cultural presence along side other ethnic groups in L.A.: African-Americans, Jews, Russians, Iranians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Filipinos and Southeast Asians came after the Vietnam War to name a few. Around half of L.A.'s population is Latino/Hispanic, thus constitute the area's majority.

Gromdor, Mexico and to add Canada are diverse countries in North America. In Mexico's case, a third of the population are indigenous and a tenth are white or Caucasian. The rest or 55-60 percent are mestizo or mixed European-Amerindian ancestry. Mexico is both the largest Native North American and Spanish-speaking country in the world, and boosts one of the world's largest cities: Mexico City, built on the site of the former Aztec empire 500 years ago.

anglos?????

if anything title should have said Caucasians.

some might be ofended by anglos.

When I was in elementary school, I had no idea what Causasians or Anglo meant. As far as I was concerned I was white, and whenever a state test would be given to me asking for my ethnicity, I would always read the options, bubble in "Other" and write in "White" because I didn't see it elsewhere on the page.

• Like 1

When I was in elementary school, I had no idea what Causasians or Anglo meant. As far as I was concerned I was white, and whenever a state test would be given to me asking for my ethnicity, I would always read the options, bubble in "Other" and write in "White" because I didn't see it elsewhere on the page.

I have a hard time with race/ethnicity boxes in applications for college and employment. I identify myself as Caucasian and Native American on my maternal side. On the forms, they even have a Pacific Islander race for Native Hawaiians and Samoans, whom were classified as Asian or indigenous (Native American/Alaskan Native/Native Hawaiian) in past censuses. My father being from France, a "Latin" country with a Romance-based language like Spanish, Portugese and even Italian and Romanian, should I be considered "Latin" without the "o" in the end?

Besides, Mexicans historically were categorized white except a time period of the 1930s when the US census made Mexican into a "race", then was repealed during WWII (1940s). In CA history, a number of groups like Armenians (a large community in L.A.), Arabs, Indians and Japanese fought to be classified into the "white race" proving they either are Caucasian and/or had lighter skin to obtain US Citizenship rights.

They and the Chinese also were excluded from citizenship and property rights, then the US-born children were born citizens and can acquire property like farms their families used to work on, the Japanese were notably skilled and developed a large agricultural industry. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, the white-dominated California Farmers Associations suggested to US Congress to have the army intern the west coast Japanese during the war, to reduce competition of a minority group owned 10-15% of CA's farmlands at the time.