Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft considerering free version of

thedutchiedutch

Faced with poor adoption of Windows 8, and no clear sign that matters will improve any time soon,

Microsoft is thinking about releasing a free or low-cost version of Windows 8.1 called “Windows 8.1 with Bing.”

The theory is that, by providing a free (or perhaps low-cost) version of Windows 8.1, users of Windows XP, Vista, and 7, will finally be convinced to upgrade, driving up its anemic market share.

Microsoft hopes to offset the massive loss of income by pushing more users towards services like Bing, OneDrive, and Office. This follows news from MWC 2014 that Microsoft is also considering a similar move for Windows Phone. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Link to full article : http://www.extremetech.com/computing/177583-microsoft-is-considering-a-free-version-of-windows-8-1-to-increase-market-share

• Like 2

I tried 8.1. Not a fan. I will just stick with 7.

Office 2013, however, is pretty good.

Thank you, internet, for providing all that I need at "low cost".

• Like 1

I tried 8.1. Not a fan. I will just stick with 7.

Thank you, internet, for providing all that I need at "low cost".

My son has 8. I am not a fan of it. I love 7.

Isn't 8.1 not more like 7 ? Or am I wrong ?

My son has 8. I am not a fan of it. I love 7.

Isn't 8.1 not more like 7 ? Or am I wrong ?

They basically just took away the tiled start menu and gave you the desktop back. Everything else is still hidden and annoying to find.

• Like 1

8 is fine on a tablet, but not on a desktop or laptop. It's just painful on those.

• Like 2

They basically just took away the tiled start menu and gave you the desktop back. Everything else is still hidden and annoying to find.

I see.

8 is fine on a tablet, but not on a desktop or laptop. It's just painful on those.

Agreed. My son has a touch screen laptop, if it wasn't for that I bet he would find it annoying.

8 was just a complete step in the wrong direction

8 was just a complete step in the wrong direction

"Oh hey! You like windows 7?! Here! Try this piece of garbage instead!!!"

• Like 1

Interesting, especially for those lagging behind with XP and Vista on lower-end hardwares and no interest to spend money on those things. It seems that it is intented as basic which could really push those people to upgrade without having to buy a new computer. However, I doubt it will convince the advanced users which have the need of a full-featured operating system nor will it change the general consensus on Windows 8, that of a commercial failure.

I found Office 2013 to be quite expensive truth be told. It must be said that there is free alternatives available such as LibreOffice which is quite full-featured. Also, these web-based apps that can get the job done without having to spend anything are very interesting.

Edited by sam_comm

Interesting, especially for those lagging behind with XP and Vista on lower-end hardwares and no interest to spend money on those things. It seems that it is intented as basic which could really push those people to upgrade without having to buy a new computer. However, I doubt it will convince the advanced users which have the need of a full-featured operating system nor will it change the general consensus on Windows 8, that of a commercial failure.

I found Office 2013 to be quite expensive truth be told. It must be said that there is free alternatives available such as LibreOffice which is quite full-featured. Also, these web-based apps that can get the job done without having to spend anything are very interesting.

Wasn't expensive for me. Let's just say I sail the seas of the internet.

• Like 2

Libre Office and Open Office (by Novel) are pretty good alternatives to Office, and free, besides that you don't risk a lawyer coming a-knocking because you have send an office file to the wrong person (who then discovers you have a pirate version)... which really end being expensive.

I dual-boot windows 7 and ubuntu studio on two of my computers, that combo really gives me all I need. After recently trying windows 8 I really have no desire to upgrade. Even if there is a free version.

• 1 year later...

(who then discovers you have a pirate version)...

"If" I did have a pirated version, which i totally don't, then i would perhaps use a program that i may or may not have heard about that may or may not give you a legit serial and certificate for any windows software. "IF".

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Windows 7 computer here that was previously upgraded from Vista but I don't think we'll make a further upgrade to Windows 10 even though it looks better than 8, I don't really see a need since the OS is already very stable performance-wise and security updates will be provided at least until 2019.

By that time, maybe we would have made the switch to Chromebooks/Chromeboxes altogether, these computers are amazing, no viruses/malwares, no bloat, no annoying updates, a growing range of web apps, upcoming compatibility with the Android OS and the ability to work offline if need be. That's very appealing.

Edited by samus

We have a Windows 7 computer here that was previously upgraded from Vista but I don't think we'll make a further upgrade to Windows 10 even though it looks better than 8, I don't really see a need since the OS is already very stable performance-wise and security updates will be provided at least until 2019.

By that time, maybe we would have made the switch to Chromebooks/Chromeboxes altogether, these computers are amazing, no viruses/malwares, no bloat, no annoying updates, a growing range of web apps, upcoming compatibility with the Android OS and the ability to work offline if need be. That's very appealing.

nice username

• Like 1

nice username

;)

But the choice of my username was not motivated by the video game character named Samus Aran (which is a female).

I basically took a part of my name 'Sam' and added to it the ancient greek stem 'us'. Hence, Samus. I only discovered later that was actually a real name used at that time and not just 'made-up' as I was mistaken to believe. There really existed a Samus son of Chrysogonus, a macedonian poet of the 3rd century BC.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

Windows 3.1. Best.....operating.....system.....ever!